Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking With the Band!

Hey everybody!!! I'm new to this whole band thing and still have alot of questions. I go to talk to my doctor tomorrow. My mom will be with me so I don't really want to ask this question in front of her. So here goes....

I am 21 so I go out with my friends every weekend...this is something i look forward to!!! I was wondering if like 6 months or so after I get the band can i drink with it?? I am not saying for the calorie part of the fat grams part of it...i'm talk about is it safe to drink with the band? I know beer and things are fating but what if i drank like vodka and cranberry??? I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was safe to drink with the band? or could it like kill you if you drank more than a glass or two...like once a week...or once every two weeks. thanks everyone!! Jayme:confused:confused.gif

Alcohol in and of itself should be tolerated as it was pre-op. Some surgeons will outlaw carbonation, some discourage drinking due to the caloric content, etc. But there is nothing inherent to the band procedure that would prevent alcohol (some of the other procedures do).

I had my band placed Jan 7 and I have had drinks with friends on 2 occasions. I've gotten mixed drinks with juices. I didn't have any problems per say. Lets just say I'm a really cheap date now!!:)

I started a thread called "alcoholic beverages? " in this forum a while back... You can search for it in the upper right corner under search.. I got some great responses:) Best of luck to you!

Alcohol in and of itself should be tolerated as it was pre-op. Some surgeons will outlaw carbonation, some discourage drinking due to the caloric content, etc. But there is nothing inherent to the band procedure that would prevent alcohol (some of the other procedures do).

What she said. :)

Hi Neveragain! I see you had Dr. Simpson do your band. Are you happy with him? I am considering him to do mine if he is on my insurance. Tell me the good and the not so good if there is any. Yellowroseaz from near Casa Grande

That's cute! No, it won't kill you to have a few drinks....Just make sure you count those calories. The trouble with liquor is your willpower decreases and you might overeat as a result.

That's cute! No, it won't kill you to have a few drinks....Just make sure you count those calories. The trouble with liquor is your willpower decreases and you might overeat as a result.

In my mind i just thought it might hurt the band. I am the most horrible person on counting calories. :-( But I guess I'm gonna have to learn!!!

What my doctor told me was that it only took one shot of liquer and 13 seconds (yes i said seconds) to be legaly drunk! I dont think I would have more than 2 drinks if I were you. I am 22 years old so I know exactly how you feel. Also he said that wine was better than liquer. So if you like wine at all I would try that. Another trick is that for the first few times you drink Water it down. Like 50/50 the first time then a little less water each time. Also a good tip that I was told is to eat 15 goldfish crackers 15 min. before you plan on drinking, it will help to not make you feel sick. Hope this helps.