Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr. Said No Protein Drinks!!

MY DOCTOR SAID FOR ME TO NOT DRINK Protein Shakes AFTER BEING BANDED , BUT TO ONLY EAT A LOT OF Protein, LIKE meat. BUT I CAN'T EAT TO MUCH MEAT. SO, I WILL TALK TO A DIETICIAN TO SEE WHAT I CAN DO. BUT, MOST OF YOU SEEM TO DO PRETTY GOOD FOR YOU. SO, MY QUESTION IS, DO I GO AGAINST THE DR. OR DO I TRY TO EAT meats AND GAG EVERY DAY?:biggrin:

My Dr. frowned on Protein Shakes too. He said I could have one for a snack but not for a meal. I think the purpose of this way of thinking is that we are suppose to be learning how to eat correctly. I would much rather just drink a shake than eat meat and get it stuck. :biggrin:

Where is my ticker???? Where did it go???

Sorry - there it is. It disappeared for a little bit.:biggrin:

Each Dr's program can vary; mine said to make sure that I drink Protein Drinks only as a meal substitute, not as a snack. I use mine as Breakfast, as I have an hour commute, so I drink 8 oz. over the course of my trip. On the weekends, I have Kashi Cereal for breakfast instead. I think there are two issues that some programs have with Protein drinks. One is that they can be very high in calories and the second is that liquids pass through the band more quickly than solids, so we feel full for a shorter amount of time after having a liquid as a meal.

There are many ways to get protein other than eating meat as well. cheese, small amounts of nuts, small amounts of Peanut Butter, Beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, Kashi cereals (Go Lean is a good source)... I went online and found a listing of foods that have high amounts of protein and use it to find alternatives to eating meat. I don't have meat for every meal, usually just once a day. I find other ways of getting my protein grams.

Each Dr's program can vary; mine said to make sure that I drink Protein drinks only as a meal substitute, not as a snack. I use mine as breakfast, as I have an hour commute, so I drink 8 oz. over the course of my trip. On the weekends, I have Kashi cereal for breakfast instead. I think there are two issues that some programs have with Protein drinks. One is that they can be very high in calories and the second is that liquids pass through the band more quickly than solids, so we feel full for a shorter amount of time after having a liquid as a meal.

There are many ways to get protein other than eating meat as well. cheese, small amounts of nuts, small amounts of Peanut Butter, Beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, Kashi cereals (Go Lean is a good source)... I went online and found a listing of foods that have high amounts of protein and use it to find alternatives to eating meat. I don't have meat for every meal, usually just once a day. I find other ways of getting my protein grams.

YOUR RIGHT, BUT I FOUND THAT MEAT HAS MORE PROTEIN THAN BEANS(STARCHY)AND SOME OTHER FOODS. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EAT SOMEDAYS!

My doctor doesn't allow Protein drinks either. We aren't supposed to ever drink calories. If you are having trouble with meats, maybe you need to try a different kind. There are a lot of ways to get protein without drinking a Protein Shake. eggs, refried Beans, chicken-white and dark meat, turkey-white and dark meat, tuna and other fish, tofu,cottage cheese. Remember that you aren't supposed to drink with meals...well a protein shake is a drink. You will get protein from a shake, but you aren't going to get much satiety. You are going to feel way more hungry way sooner with Liquid Protein than with dense Proteins. If you can only manage to get protein from a drink I think you are too tight. I was told that if you are properly restricted you can easily get the proper amount of protein. So far it hasn't been an issue for me. I'd follow doctors instructions.

Sorry - there it is. It disappeared for a little bit.:eek:

i can t figgure how to get a ticker on mine help

Guys, there are threads and how-to's for tickers in the FAQ section. Look there and you will see step by step instructions. Let's please not divert the OP's question/request with discussions about tickers.

The only time I am allowed protien drinks is if I'm sick or after a fill for 24 hours. Other than that I'm required to eat regular food three times a day. I'm not allowed protien bars either. At any time. BUT..... I can put unflavored protien powder in my regular food. I put it in my oatmeal, my cream of wheat, any gravey or sauce I make, my Soup, my applesauce, and refried Beans. It's unflavored so I usually can't even tell it's there.

My doctor does not want me to drink my calories, but there is a definite cost benefit analysis to be done when it comes to Protein. We definitely need Protein to ensure we protect our muscles while we lose weight. High levels of protein also ensure lean muscle mass. I have only lost 30lbs but my mass has dramatically reduced because of the protein.

I look for the lowest calorie Protein shake possible to make sure I am not using all of my calories on liquids. Muscle Milk Lite Ready to drinks 8.5fl oz (160 calories, 20g protein, tastes really good) or Isopure with one tube of Crystal Light in it 20fl oz (160calories, 40 gm protein, and very acceptable tasting with the crystal light in it).

Also, if you are truly getting restriction, it would be hard to eat enough whole food protein to make dent in the 60 to 100 grams of protein you should be getting each day to protect your muscles, skin, and hair.

Just my two cents...

Well I would argue that a processed product like a Protein shake is not all that good for you - there's a lot of additives and sometimes a lot of sugar. food that you can still recognise in its natural form is always going to be a better choice. Plus if you choose soy based Protein shakes, there's a lot of evidence that too much soy on too regular a basis is actually harmful.

I would also argue that we dont need as much Protein as so many doctors say. I mean, they dont tell us that here and we're not all dying or getting malnourished!

Personally, I think if you cant eat resonable sources of protein, you night be too tight. But I'd also agree that the morning is the one time when the benefit of a shake outweighs the disadvantages - I mean if the alternative is no Breakfast at all, you're better off drinking something.

If your doctor is just saying no Protein to make sure that you aren't filling up on empty calories, you should possibly try a whey protein isolate...this can be mixed with Water, is already partially broken down so it is easy to digest and has next to no calories, no fat or sugar at all depending on the brand you get. I am trying a meal plan in which I'm eating every 2 hours and this requires me to have protein with a carb each time and as well all know, eating that often with the band can be nearly impossible so in order to get my protein which is extremely important I can have a protein isolate, yogurt, ff cottage cheese, some nuts, tuna mixed with ff mayo whatever works but for abou 3 out of the 6 meals I do have the protein instead of the food because I cannot physically eat that much. You should of course follow what your doctor is requesting, but if the reason is for calories only, this would be worth a shot.