Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Slow?

I eat less than 1000 calories a day and work out at least 5 days a week for at least one hour. I follow the rules.

I know I am going against the grain, but maybe you are not eating enough calories. If you work out 5 hours a week then it may be likely that you need more than 1000 calories for your body to start releasing some of its extra resources: your fat! I eat more calories that the average person on this board about 1700, and I workout everyday to minus around 500 to 800 calories. Could you imagine if I was only eating 1000? My body would be living on a net calorie count of 200 calories, and I don't think it would be very easy to convince it to part with my fat.

For the 1700 calories I eat whole foods and veggies, and I drink Protein. So far in the last 4 months I am down almost 50 pounds, and I feel great. The most important part is I know I could live the rest of my life this way, and I know I would be happy.

I was banded on 8/6/07. I have only lost 31 pounds to date. Is this a very slow rate. I know that everyone loses differently but I feel like I'm way behind in the game. :confused:

I was banded on 08/21/07 and have lost 30 pounds. I get very discouraged as well when I see that people have lost 100 pounds in a few months. I know I'm working out 4 - 5 times a week and I'm watching what I eat. I have to keep reminding myself that I've lost 30 pounds. The rest will come in time. I'm right with you on being a slow loser but we are both 30 pounds lighter!

I'm going for my fourth fill today so hopefully I'll be in a size 18 comfortably by the end of February!!

I know I am going against the grain, but maybe you are not eating enough calories. If you work out 5 hours a week then it may be likely that you need more than 1000 calories for your body to start releasing some of its extra resources: your fat! I eat more calories that the average person on this board about 1700, and I workout everyday to minus around 500 to 800 calories. Could you imagine if I was only eating 1000? My body would be living on a net calorie count of 200 calories, and I don't think it would be very easy to convince it to part with my fat.

For the 1700 calories I eat whole foods and veggies, and I drink Protein. So far in the last 4 months I am down almost 50 pounds, and I feel great. The most important part is I know I could live the rest of my life this way, and I know I would be happy.

I thought the same thing. But my doctor told me he wants me to eat less than 1000 calories a day. It is really hard to do, but I do it. I worked out less this week because I was overloaded with schoolwork, but for the most part I get 4-5 hours a week of excercise in.

I wish I knew what would work for me. When I was eating 1400-1700 calories a day I was barely even losing anything at all. That is when the doctor told me to reduce my calories to under 1000.

I feel helpless sometimes. I work and work at it and the weight just doesn't come off like other people.

Thank you for your concern. I would probably be concerned if the doctor was!

Melissa

I was banded on 8/21 and I am down 37 pounds since surgery. I am just so glad that I am not 37 pounds heavier. I am so scared of getting saggy skin and all the other affects of fast weight loss that I look at it as a blessing. For the time being, my skin looks great and I am toning up nicely and that's the way I would like to keep it.

Stay positive and continue with your program.

Overweightmom,

I'm losing at about the same rate that you are. I constantly feel like it's "too slow", especially when I read about other people's seemingly "better" success. But it adds up, bit by bit, and our weight loss is "average". Every time I'm feeling discouraged about losing so slowly, I'll see my doc and she thinks I'm doing great...so I try not to worry. We all lose at different rates. I've always lost weight very slowly, before the band and now. I might be able to go faster if I cut my calories more--I average about 1200/day. I do exercise, cardio 5 days a week, and weights every other day. But I just don't really want to cut my calories that much, so I settle for the slow, but still mostly average, weight loss, and try not to compare myself to others. My restriction isn't as tight as many people's, and perhaps I can eat more than I should, but I try not to exceed the recommendations, whether I "can" or not. And I've never lost 50 lbs in less than a year, much less with as little suffering as I've had with the band. So I consider it all a success, and do my best.

Hang in there, you're doing great.