Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protruding port.... has any one had it repositioned?

I am 8lbs from my goal of 150lbs & I'm scheduled for a tummytuck, brestlift & Lipo on my hips, I'm so excited I can't wait! However, my port is positioned between my breasts & is so obviously protruding, it looks like a bone sticking out from my chest. I went to see my Lap Band surgeon Dr. Leung in Vancouver, & he suggested moving it under one of my boobs! If it's still going to protrude this is not a satisfactory solution for me! As it is now, my bras rub against the port & if it moves under a boob, I can only see it rubbing even worse.

I have another consultation with my plastic surgeon before I have my procedures done, I wanted to see if he could reposition the port instead, ofcourse with consulting Dr.Leung.

Has anyone had success with repositioning their protruding port? Where do some of you have your ports positioned?

That's interesting because I weight 140 now....a little below my goal and I have a consultation on the 8th for plastic surgery and was wondering the exact same thing.....my port is under my right breast about 1/2-1"....and it sticks out. I was hoping they could move it too.......Hopefully after the 8th I will have an answer as to what my plastic surgeon says.....good thread.

My plastic surgeon is going to reposition mine.It only sticks out when I am lying flat.I think he does this with most of his lap band tummy tucks?

I would love to learn more about this! I just had to postpone plastic surgery, because of a port issue. My port really sticks out, and bothers me more than my loose skin! My plastic surgeon had planned to switch my port to the low-profile port during my lower body lift, but we ran into a problem because he couldn't get the port from Allergan. Apparently they only sell the port to bariatric facilities. If anyone has had a port replacement done by a plastic surgeon, please let me know. I'd like to find out as much about this as possible, and plan to email Allergan tomorrow.

My plastic surgeon did suggest an alternative, which was to move the port to a less obvious location (he didn't say *where*, though), and to put it under the fascia. I need to call my bariatric doc tomorrow to find out if that's a viable alternative. I know it might be more difficult to do fills, but I haven't had a fill since May, and honestly don't feel that port accessibility is my main issue at this point.

I've never heard of putting a port under the breast, but that's an interesting alternative, since there's plenty of fatty tissue to cover the port (probably not an option for me, unfortunately, due to implants).

Tami

I posted about my port delimma over at Obesity Help's plastic surgery forum, and one of the responses (from "luckyme") was very encouraging:

"I frantically tried to get my port changed with my TT. I even got my PS to agree to change it. My band surgeon tried to get a new port for me but Allergan will only sell them to the site that does band surgery (hospital or surgery center). I even talked to the rep from Allergan (Don Mills) and he agreed that it made sense to make them available to PS, but that it would require a "policy change".

My band surgeon was going to squeeze me in to replace the port with a low profile port the week before my TT, but my PS said "NO - it would affect the blood supply". He said he'd try to move it during surgery. He decided not to move it because it was "well encapsulated" and he felt that would keep it stable.

So I still have my original big port in it's original location and it is completely invisible. How? My PS said he "recessed" it into the muscle. Basically, he sewed it in a little deeper. I was worried that it would pull out or be painful. I do lot's of crunches and no problem at all. In fact my port used to catch on my waistband prior to the PS. Now I can't even tell it's there. It's just above and the the left of my BB. It is closer to midline due the the muscle tightening.

Hopefully your PS will be able to hide yours also. I'm so glad I didn't spend the extra money for the new port and replacement as this one works just fine (I've had fills) and doesn't show at all.

Good luck with your surgery. Hopefully your PS will come up with a solution that works well for you."

Just thought I'd share that info over here!

Tami

I just had my port replaced and repositioned. When I received my band years ago, there was only one sized port. These days they have what's known as a low profile port. My doctor changed my port to this new model and she also moved the port under my muscle so it no longer protrudes.

I'm getting the low profile port with my TT on March 4. I'm wondering if I need to request that the port be put under my muscle? My band doc will be coming in and doing the replacement while my PS is working on me. She is difficult to talk to. Not sure how to approach this. Any suggestions?

I'm getting the low profile port with my TT on March 4. I'm wondering if I need to request that the port be put under my muscle? My band doc will be coming in and doing the replacement while my PS is working on me. She is difficult to talk to. Not sure how to approach this. Any suggestions?

Your doctor shouldn't be difficult to talk to, that's such a shame!! I'm sure she knows where your port should go. It's different for each patient.

If you feel comfortable talking to your PS, tell your PS where you'd like your port, and then have your PS convey that to your band doc. Your PS's job is aesthetics, so perhaps he/she will make sure that you get the results you like. :thumbup:

My port sticks out like a hernia. I had a lower body lift and anytime someone sees my stomach they say, "what's THAT?" So I have some made-up story about it, because I really don't want to go into detail about how I lost all this weight and got a Tummy Tuck, etc. Is it possible to reposition it without causing another huge scar? Also, has anyone gone in JUST to have their port repositioned? How much did it cost?

My port was buried deep and I had to have it moved upwards so that I could get a fill!

In Europe we now have a ports positioned at the bottom of our rib cage(left side... my left not yours!), because of the discomfort of positioning it on the sternum.... ask for them to move it there... Don't have it under a breast that's just looking for more trouble!

Hx