Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nymphs - How many fills have you had?

I have been reading this forum for a few months now but this is the first time I registered as a user. I have a 10cc band and have had 3 fills and 1 little unfill. My band was empty when I had surgery. My first fill was 3cc, my second fill was 1.3cc. I couldn't eat or drink anything and if I tried it would get stuck and I would start slimming and my mouth would Water. I had heartburn everyday and didn't feel good. About a a week and a half later I went in for a little unfill of 5cc. I could eat moderatly after the unfill and felt better. My third fill was a little over a week ago and I got 5cc. For the first 7 days I could drink very little and eat broth only. For the last few days I have been able to eat chicken noodle or creamy Soups but that is it. Yesterday I thought that I could eat a little meat loaf and baked potato. Well I ate one small bite of the meat loaf and I knew it got stuck instantly so I stopped eating. About 5 minutes later I was slimming and didn't feel to good. I have heard that pinapple juice was good if you get stuck so I took a sip of it. Within a couple of minutes I knew I was going to get sick. Sure enough I threw up. Then I got some relief.

I don't know about any of you but I feel like I am only going to be able to eat Soup and broth or Protein drinks. I don't want to not be able to eat and chew food ever again. I keep thinking it will loosen up and I will be able to eat. Has anyone else experienced this. Also, I have read a lot of the threads and many of you have more cc's in your band than I do. How do you eat anything. The sound of that much cc's in your band sounds painful to me. HELP ME. :)

Longhorn: You seem to be at a nice restriction. Sounds almost perfect.

I just got another fill today and the PA thinks I should be getting close to where I want to be. Depending on this fill, we might start going to .5cc's for future fills. I don't want to end up overfilled and have to start the de-fill mess.

Biggest Loser: Are you advised to go to clear or full liquids for a day or two after your fills? My Dr. has us be on full liquids two days and then two days of soft food after a fill. The fill can swell or irritate the stomach/pouch and it can need a couple days to relax. If you eat regular food too fast, you increase the stress on the stomach/pouch and then it rejects the food.

The rule many people on the forum have mentioned is once a food gets stuck, you go to liquids for the rest of the day to give your stoma/pouch healing time.

You should be at a fill level where you can eat many foods (not necessarily all foods) like where you were when you said you could eat "moderately" and "felt better". If you were at that place maybe you didn't need the next fill when you replaced the .5cc they originally took out.

It can be very hard to figure out if we are head hungry or eating because we're bored or distracted. We need to evaluate how long after eating we have a feeling of fullness or satisfaction and how easily we can resist going back for seconds. The signs of "being full" I think are hard for us to recognize because we were always so used to feeling stuffed as a sign that we'd had enough to eat.

I know we all want to compare how much we have in our bands and there can be some averages, but everybody has a different stomach inside, so your 3cc's might be perfect for you, while 6cc's might be perfect for me. Some Lucky people never need a fill!

Perhaps a small defill would get you to a place where you can eat healthly food in the right portions. After waiting one hour after a meal, if I am hungry I drink a bottle of Water first before I decide if I really "need" something to eat. You need to have the right fill so you can eat solid food that will stay in your pouch, Soups and liquids will go through your band and you'll feel hungry again sooner. So a too loose band or too tight band is not good for achieving the weigh loss we desire.

I hope you'll talk to your Dr about the problems you're having and ask them to help you with a solution.

Shortgal, thank you for responding. My doctor requires us to do one day of liquids and one day of mushies after each fill. I can't do the mushies yet because it makes me sick.

I totally understand about trying to figure out the head hunger thing. I think that I will always have to take time before eating more to make sure that it isn't my head that is telling me I am hungry. But at this point I know that I am hungry only because I can only eat Soup and the amount of soup is little. But I have the willpower to stop because of the amount of money I paid for this band (selfpay). That right there makes it easy to keep the willpower.

I am going to give it till Monday to see if I can eat anything solid before calling the doctors. I know about not letting my stomach get arritated because it will cause more swelling and tightness. Again, I am hoping that it loosens up on it's own. We will see!!

Again, thank you for replying.

biggestloser: I hope you get a good resolution to being too tight. That is not fun or healthy.

Sorry, if all my advice was stuff you already knew. Sometimes on the forum, you find people that don't have a lot of this info.

P.S. I was self pay, too!

Check back in and let us know how you make out.

I've had no fills, but I think at this point, I'm scared to even get one.... I'm only able to eat about a cup of food at a time, which at least a 1/3 of what I was able to eat before the surgery... and I'm hitting my 1-2 lbs a week... I PB if I eat too fast, or gulp too fast, as it is. So I don't think I'll be getting one until the weight loss stops. Is there anyone else out there like me? Someone who's felt restriction without a fill?

I don;t think Kristen has had a fill yet. you guys are lucky... it's the band equivalent of winning the lottery!

I have 8.75 cc in a APL band and I have finally got some restriction. I was getting worried about it. I am going in for another fill on the 21st for a little bit more, but not much. I have to chew really well. I am a firm believer that everyone is different because I was so convinced that something was wrong because everyone seemed to be having restriction with so much less fill. The 21st will be my 3rd fill.

i have had two fills. i am currently at 5cc in a 10cc band. i am scheduled for a fill on the 13th. i am looking forward to it, as i am not very restricted.

Well, I went for my third fill and found out I have way less than I thought. I currently have 3 cc's in a 10 cc band. But I do feel, if not restricted, a lot less hungry. Like, I can go a long time on very little food, but if I eat out of head hunger I can still chow down without restriction. But the head hunger is not nearly as bad now - I have a more satisfied feeling, quite full a lot, and I've lost a pound since the fill on Tuesday. And I saw the 180's again! Yeah me!

Linda

I definitely have a lot more restriction than I did... 6.5cc in a 10cc band. I can go longer without eating and I certainly am not eating as much when I do. If I do, I pay for it because it feels like I have a tight belt on. And I definitely need to eat slower and chew more, otherwise things get stuck. Now for the weight to start dropping off! :tongue2:

It isn't just how many fills we get, it's how much at each fill your Dr. injects. Some Dr's will "sneak up" on restriction with multiple small fills. some Dr;s wil start off with a bigger fill and then go slower.

The distance between fills can also be a factor. Lots of variables with fills.

I am now waiting on the fill I got yesterday to see if this one works. I have another day of full liquids and the 2 days of soft food. I do feel some tightness, but i had that last fill and then it released. I think I get some swelling after the fill.

My sixth fill on 2/6 is really different. The first day was pretty normal. However, on the second day I could only eat 4 spoons of my morning oatmeal. I could eat three spoons of my lunch chili relleno. dinner was 4 McD's McNuggets and I should have stopped on the 3rd. This is really different. Today I ate all my oatmeal (Kashi Go Lean individual package w/added ground flax) but it took a long time between bites to get it all down. I could only eat about 1/4 cup of my chili for lunch...if that. I think I am finally at the "sweet spot". I also lost three pounds this week after being on a plateau for over two weeks.

On a different topic, I got on the scales one day and found myself down four pounds. It took me two weeks to get back to that spot as the next day I was back up four. I hate it when I do that. I just can't seem to stay off the scales. I must like pain. :glare:

I've had two fills in my 10cc APS

first fill - 1cc (added to the 4cc left in at surgery) which gave me 5cc total

second fill - 1 cc = 6cc total

I'm 2 weeks out from my last fill and my third isn't until the first week of March. I have so-so restriction. I can tell I have a band, but still have to exercise a considerable amount of willpower not to overeat.