Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UMass Medical Center Bandsters

Congratulations Amanda! Believe me the time will fly. I met with Dr. Gitkind and was told to be looking at a Feb surgical date. It sounded so far away, but the time has been good. It actually is going quite quickly. My suggestions would be to do your research, put your questions down, get to any of the discussion groups that are held once a month, and if you have not, begin to work toward your health goals. I am at the stage where I have my skills group appointments. I had the first on Wed and the other three are over the next three weeks. It was made perfectly clear that some weight loss is expected - and not a 3 or 5 lb loss over the couple of months prior to your "last" appt. when they schedule your surgery. Now is the time to work on any habits you need to break or begin. i.e., quiting smoking, giving up carbonated drinks, caffeine, etc. You do not want to find yourself staring like a deer in the headlights when they mention all of that to you with only a few weeks left in your preparation stage. I live in Rhode Island, so it is about a 30-40 min ride, but well worth it. Best of success to you. Maybe we shall meet in the future!

Thankyou jazzy Thank you for advise. I will starty on my eating habits. Is there anything i can do to get a jump on things? Can i take any of the intakes till they tell me to. Like seeing a nutritionist before i meet with gitkind? I just would perfer not to have to wait six months after january meeting to get the surgery? I dont want to seem in a hurry i will just be planning my wedding when the six months comes up and i would like to not have to worry about the surgery at the time? Thanks again for any advise Amanda

Hello again Amanda,

I understand how you feel (REALLY). However, the nutritionist, etc. are all appointments which are scheduled through UMASS and the order in which it all takes place is concrete. You meet with Dr. Gitkind then all of the other appointments are set in place. There is no deviation with that. What I would suggest is that you simply begin your improved eating. You know the basics, they just enhance all of that and put the WHY our weight issues are there in clearer forcus. The more good habits you can get into (i.e. exercise and eating), the easier all of the rest will be. Now that I am at the stage I am it is unreal how quickly it is going by. I to in August thought - six months! But now I see how it goes by. If you can begin getting those habits in check, it will aid you greatly. I know that from the time you meet with Dr. Gitkind until the schduling of your surgery, they do require a pattern of some kind of weight loss. From the time that I first went to UMASS until I met with Dr. Gitkind I lost 13 pounds, BUT since that time, nothing. So, I am actually behind in what they like to see. Hopefully, when I go today for my first weigh-in in the skills group phase (last Wed. was my start), I will be down a few pounds. That would make me really happy since I have become a bit frustrated at the scale. I have also done what the nutritionist suggested and been cognizant of NSVs (non-scale victories). For instance, how my clothes fit, my added stamina, etc. I know I have lost inches and other people have noticed. My husband has made several comments about it. I had him measure me and will have him do so again on Friday. So, just hang in there. REMEMBER: NOTHING CAN OR SHOULD ECLIPSE YOUR WEDDING PREPARATIONS. While it can be stressful, it is the most wonderful time. Your surgery plans and goals are about you and your future life and health. Not just about your wedding day.

Talk to you again soon. I will let you know how I make out at today's weigh-in.

Hello all!! So sorry I missed the last meeting, I was at UMass, just in surgery! Dr. Lalikos did "round 2" of plastics for me last Thursday, giving my upper body the lift it needed after all my weight loss. WOW, what a difference! She is an amazing surgeon! I had a breast reduction, arm lift (brachioplsty) and she tweaked the new belly button she gave me in March with the abdominoplasty. I'm home and doing great! I am actually feeling really "girly" for the first time ever, since I' have been big all my life and never really a "normal" shape. It took about 7 1/2 hours and she worked really hard to get the huge rolls of excess skin reduced from my back as well. My swelling is minimal and I feel SO good! YAY! hope you are all doing well, let me know how you are!!

Mary:thumbup:

Hello Mary Petunia! Glad to know all is well with you. I have not really seen too many on this thread for sometime and was wondering about everyone. Sounds as if you have truly been one busy chica! Wow, some transformations have been in the works for you, I see. Congrats. I am happy that you are feeling well. At my end, things are progressing well. I just (the 19th) completed the PSS Group at UMASS and have my next appt. on the 17th of Dec. Hurray. It is my hope that it will show another 10lb loss. In any case, if all is going well, my letter will be written at that time. So, I am hoping that I will know what my tentative date for surgery is before the end of the year. My exercise routine is going quite well as are my eating modifications. There is still the question of band or bypass which will be discussed at my next meeting, but I am fairly certain that it is banding for me. If they are correct, and I am only able to lose another 25lbs after the banding, that will be that. I will simply continue with my healthy style and accept whatever the results are at that time. The bottom line is: I am sooo much more like my old self now. For the first time since the hysterectomy. Therefore, I feel WHATEVER I have to face with reference to my healthy life goals will work out just fine. I am feeling very much back in control. Not exactly where I was pre-hyst, but close. I do not know if I shall be at the next meeting or not. I have another meeting at UMASS and I believe it is the day before the group and two days in a row is a bit heavy on my schedule. Continued success to you. And, see you next year!!

I am glad to see everyone doing well. I have now had four fills and I might have restriction. The restriction did not come after the last fill, it actually came after a bad stomach virus this weekend. We'll see if it lasts.

This stomach virus has worked wonders for me, not eating for two days has helped me to refocus my brain. Lack of desire for food helped me to see what I was eating in a new light. OK it also helps that the thought of food still makes me feel kind of queasy.

i/m going to my first meeting tomorow at u mass, dr. kelly surgeon, do u recomend him , and how many more steps does it take i/m so nervous thanks larry

Well, I went for the 2 last tests before they will schedule my surgery. I apparently passed them both. Neither were any fun, but still pushing closer to finish line.

I was not thrilled to find out, I have one more clinical visit before the surgery. They do one more check to make sure you haven't put on any significant weight.

I'm nervous about that one, because I lost my job at the end of january, and it has been SO difficult to eat smart. My scale says I'm holding at least.

i/m going to my first meeting thursday, in u mass worcester, is your experience with them good? thanks input larry

Hi Larry,

Did you get to the meeting Thursday? I had hoped to be there, but didn't make it. I have high regard for Dr. Czerniach who was my surgeon. You may notice, depending on where you are int he process, that Lapband is not necessarily encouraged. The bypass is pushed more. I had to be very assertive about wanting the band, not the reccomended bypass. UMass is also doing a research study right now and looking for volunteers. It's called TOGA procedure. It's less invasive and instead of bypassing the stomach, they actually make a small pouch of the stomach and leave it attached where it should be. The procedure is done through the oral cavity, even less invasive than laproscopic! I've heard they've begun doing it already. Interesting...seems to be a better choice than bypass but to be honest, my band has worked so well for me I am VERY happy with it. Keep us updated and don't be afraid to post questions. The band works!!!!

how you doing? i.m going 2nd meeting in april, are u glad u decide on lapband?larry

I'm curious if there are any other members going through the UMass in Worcester program.

A lot of the problems and complications I have read on the other threads have all been explained before I decided whether to band or bypass.

I wasn't aware of the Manometry test, which was just scheduled for me for the 14th of Feb. Is it annoying but no after affects, like they said?

i am going to worcester for surgery,went first meeting in january,second meeting is april ,how many meetings befroe surgery ?does anybody know?larry:thumbup:

i/m going to my first meeting tomorow at u mass, dr. kelly surgeon, do u recomend him , and how many more steps does it take i/m so nervous thanks larry

so how did u make out?good luck

i.m here ,that makes 3

Hi Larry,

I absolutely LOVE my band! I was determined to make it work for me and it has. I was a QUANTITY eater...I knew how to eat helathy, I just ate too much because I never felt full. The band helped limit my quantity, I have to be very careful about the quality...very few carbs, lots of Protein and veggies...same as the bypass menus. They tell you it's slower losing weight witht he band, and perhaps it was, but I lost 160 pounds in 2 years. This past year I've been holding steady, and as frustrating as I sometimes think that is, it's actually a victory for me because in the past I would have gained weight, not maintained. So the band is stil doing it's job, as long as I do mine..eat right and exercise. My expectations were not to be really thin, I just wanted ot be healthier and "normal"...I think I've achieved that now and another 10-20 pounds would be nice, but not essential to my health. I could barely walk a half mile when I started, and this past Nov I walked a half marathon!

Dr Kelly is wonderful from what I've heard. I met him once when I had some hernia issues and he was very nice. How far into the classes are you?

Keep us posted. and ask any questions you want! I'll answer based on my experience. and read, read, read! That's how I educated myself before the surgery, I read everything on this website! It's full of people's experiences and strategies, etc. You are bound to get help here if you look. Keep us posted!