Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating straight after a fill?

hi, i was banded exactly 12 weeks ago and have just had my 2nd fill....5 hrs after fill and starving i just had a sandwich,,,,,how dangerous is it? mind u my doctor didnt even remind me to be on liquids for the rest of the day, his receptionist yelled it out to me as i was walking out of the building..after reading some of the posts it seems every doctor has different rules on eating after fills... ive lost a total of 22 pounds in the 12 weeks, interested to know how other october bandsters are going in regards to their loss.........

My doc says that if you can eat right away, then lucky for you. He doesnt see any need for liquids to mushies to solids OTHER than you dont know how the fill is going to sit and you may have a painful episode.

Personally, I dont need to do liquids or mushies, I can eat fine. But I go VERY cautiously, really slow, tiny bites, lots and lots of chewing and I know I'm going to be tight for a few days so I choose easy foods.

If the sandwich went down fine, then there's no need to give it another thought. But it could have been very different, lol, so caution is required and that's really why the liquids - it gives you a bit of insurance and avoids a PBing episode.

After my last fill my doctor wanted me to eat right away, because I was leaving the area and he wanted to be sure I wasn't too tight.

Sometimes there is swelling after a fill so the general advice is often liquids for a day to avoid getting stuck. However, i don't think it means it is really dangerous to eat right away.

My doctor advises his patients to eat soft food the day of and play it by ear the next day. I got my 3rd fill yesterday and I was on liquids all day. I could tell that solid food would be a mistake. I feel better today but I am being careful. I now know what true restriction feels like. It is great.

i have to be on liquids for 48 hours. then i am on mushies for 48 hours. then on to solids. the mushies are negotiable but the liquids are a must. the reason they gave for this is your body needs time to adjust to the fill before you put food through it. and according to my doctor eating early can cause your fill not to be as effective (don't ask me how).

i know it is hard, as i just got any sort of restriction with my last two fills and even with my last fill i was FAMISHED (until i cut out carbs and only drank slim fast high protein), but it is important to try to follow your doctor's orders. each doctor is different with their rules, but each doctor also has a different rate of slippage and erosion. i'm not sure if there is a correlation between the two..but i don't want to find out the wrong way.

(this coming from a person who ate Cookies during the mushy stage..i know how hard it is when you are hungry, but you have to try to follow the rules as much as possible).

My doc always says Clear Liquids the day of a fill and full liquids the second day and regular diet the third day. Um...I never follow that rule. Maybe it's that I'm over 3 years out and think I have it figured out or I'm just a rebel. I have never had any problems in all this time. I think you just have to go slowly and take it easy. Every person is different.

My Doctor want me to be on mushies after a fill and back on regular food the following day. He feels the stomach adjusts fast enough that a couple of meals will be enough to tell if you have any restriction.

Gena

My doc always says clear liquids the day of a fill and full liquids the second day and regular diet the third day. Um...I never follow that rule. Maybe it's that I'm over 3 years out and think I have it figured out or I'm just a rebel. I have never had any problems in all this time. I think you just have to go slowly and take it easy. Every person is different.

My kind of gal :frown:

I am suppose to go on post op diet - 7 days liquids - mushie - soft then regular - I do a couple days Soup and then go to mushie/soft as this is my regular eating - I eat mostly fish & veggies -

But this last fill was too tight couldn't eat - tried could barely eat soup...

Had a little taken out and he told me say on the liquids for a week - well guess what I had for dinner - fish very soft & veggies... a full 7 days of Soup was enought... I did ok - ate slowy and chewed...

My Dr. wants two days of full liquids followed by two days of soft food. Previous fills I have done full liquids the day of fill and then full liquids up to dinner the second day and then I try something soft for dinner.< /p>

This last fill, my stomach feels tighter, just sort of a "feeling" in the midriff area, so I'm following the full liquids for the full two days and I will proceed carefully tomorrow. Maybe I have a little swelling around the band from the fill, not sure, but it feels different and I plan on listening to my body.

I also haven't been that hungry. I think at each progressive fill as we get closer to restriction, common sense says to pay attention to our bodies.

If your body says it's hungry, you probably don't have good restriction yet and if you did, your body would most likely have sent you the message by sending the sandwich back to you promptly.

The one or two days on liquids generally has the added benefit of a pound or two lost for me!

My doc pretty much says "go for it" after a fill, but I self-prescribe liquids for that day and maybe the following one.

This past fill was tight enough to stay on liquids for almost a week, but has finally eased out to where I can eat 'normal' for a bandster.

wow i got the band on 11-26-07 I'm only down like 18 lbs...

1st fill jan 3.........3cc

2nd fill jan 30.......Omnipaque let's see if it makes a difference

she mentioned i lost some saline could it be leaking

I am supposed to be 2 days liquids and then 2 days mushies. I always try to eat something i am not supposed to. I don't know why, just in my nature to try to "push it" and see if it's really working. Tried to eat some chicken on 2 days post fill and it came right back up. That's how I know the fill is working ;)

I eat very light the day of the fill- Soup mostly. The next day I try to be cautious, so I don't get stuck after that its back to normal

wow, i've never had anything come back up and i can eat anything.

Last night i was able to eat chicken wings prob about 6. I had my fill on wed. and have been eating regular since then.....i'm wondering if it's working. of course, i'm not hungry. i just eat when i'm serving everyone else