Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are YOU Fat?

My problem is I'm a stress eater. I have always been able to semi-manage my weight, but over the past 6 years have gained about 75 lbs. I remarried, sold my home, bought another, changed jobs a couple of times, nursed my daddy through lung/brain cancer and then my husband through recovery from a massive heart attack. Throw in stressful jobs and teenagers and viola' that's how I ended up at 299 lbs. I have been working on new ways to handle the stress, but today, for example, I had a really bad day at work. I walked through the front door and the next thing I knew I had a bag of doritos in my hand. I wanted to just eat and eat to get to that numb stage, you know? For honesty sake I will confess that I took one chip and licked it till it was soggy. How's that for an issue? At least I didn't give in and eat them. I'd have to say that today was the hardest day since I started my band journey. Also, I have to admit I'm looking forward to being able to eat some "mushies" as I'm getting pretty bored with broth and blended Soup and sometimes my stomach really rumbles with hunger....which for me is a new sensation!

I have always been big...cause I am big boned...(roll eyes) and love my food! However I became morbidly obese because of a condition called hypothyroidism...basically when I eat it gets stored on my body, in preparation for a famine... instead of burning up in energy... basically I got tired all the time, and didn't have energy for anything.. Sat on the couch eating basically...fortunately I was diagnosed 3 years ago as having it and have been on medication every since...and will be on medication for it for the rest of my life...so the lapband is remove the lbs of lard that I have put on as a result.

Yeah, I am having a little difficulty turning down food too. I have been chewing up things that I like then spitting them out instead of swallowing them just to savor the flavor. I love food and this has been a little difficult as a result. I am just glad that the band is there to help me feel full.

I know the reasons that I am fat. I read a previous post about putting the kids to bed and then eating. That is exactly what I do. My husband is gone for days at a time as an over the road truck driver and I eat and eat. I eat within reason all day long until the kids go to bed. Then, I turn on the tv and eat and eat.

The band is a great tool, but I am really missing the food. I have gone so far as to chew up food in my mouth and spit it out instead of swallowing it just so I can savor the flavor. It has only been a week during my surgery and I have already cheated. I had a chocolate today. I was surprised that I didn't get sick or anything like they warn. It was delicious and chocolate is my weakness.

I've asked myself this question many times in my life and I've developed a bunch of stock answers that lays the blame for my weight everywhere but where it belongs....with me, (Slow metabolism, too busy to eat right, etc.). Bottom line is I ate the wrong food in huge quantities and at the wrong times. At my heavyest I was 395 lbs. My band was just installed 6 days ago and I am just getting to the being hungry stage. This morning I was 375 lbs.

It took me many years to get to where I was so I expect it will take some time to get back to where I want to be.

Eventually, I'd like to get to the 200 lb. range but my short term goal is to be able to fly without asking for a seatbelt extension.

Thanks to all of you who have written to this thread before me. You are all inspirational.

Thanks,

Bret

I've been overweight ever since elementary school, not fat, but probably 10-15 lbs. heavier than everyone else. I suppose I would need a few years of counciling to determine the exact reason I over-eat. I love food. I can remember when I was little and after school at the babysitters, sneeking into the pantry and eating chocolate chips out of the bag. I don't remember eating bkft before school, school lunch was normal portions and then when we got home dad would have a huge meal, I would eat seconds and thirds. My g'ma always sent over homemade sweets. I didn't discover fast food until High school. It's as if I never get full. I can eat a normal size meal, while cleaning up I finish the leftovers (why let them go to waste?) 30 minutes later I can eat again and continue to eat on and off all night if I let myself. 99% of the time I'm not even conscience of what I'm doing or what I'm eating.

My mom had the stomach stapling around 22 yrs ago, she still has weight issues. Obesity runs in the family on my dads side.

I eat when I'm happy, sad, frustrated. I also smoke and this is another bad habit I have to quit....quit date is 12/22/06 then Dr. will give me a surgery date after not smoking for 2 months So I'm hoping for March!

i come from a long line of fatties--not to mention i LOVE food! i've actually hoped to have hypothyroidism or something to give me a reason for my insanity!

i eat my kids' leftovers cuz i don't want to waste, i'll eat the same food three times a day cuz i don't want the leftovers to be thrown away, i'm basically nuts!

i wake up every morning on a diet, and by noon i'm dreaming about what i can shove in my mouth!

phentermine is just tic tacs to me anymore!

i have a love/hate relationship going on with my ww leader!

this can't be used against me when i get my psych eval, right?! lol

good luck to all!

Great thread !

For me its been a combination of things.

Married life and taking care of children more

than myself and night time eating along

with very poor Portion Control did me in.

As a youngster up to about 28 yrs old I was pretty

much at my normal weight for my height 5'10".

Through middle school and up through college

I was very athletic baseball, basketball football.

Weight lifting cycling I really enjoyed the runners

high and was even into yoga but after marriage (30)

my activity level dropped and the weight started

gaining and gaining and with some depresive

things going on at my business with my partner

and the wife and kids I felt like I didnt care anymore

about me all though I didnt admit it to myself.

THe next thing I knew 10 years of marriage and I was

300 lbs from 215 lbs and than after another 6 years

I was at 385 lbs wow !! near 400 lbs. I realized today

I eat wrong, wrong foods, night eating, huge portions

and eat because I loved food and nothing seemed to

slow me down. After getting the Band it stopped

me from over eating and now I chew slow and my food

choices are better and since July 06 I lost near 60 lbs

and I weigh in at 330 lbs so every day I weigh myself

to remind myself that a 200lb man can easily become

a 400 lb man. That will never happen to me again.

I am fat because I let myself become fat and today

I am headed toward my normal weight because I

recognize that this is what I want and the band

is there to assist in the process.

I wish all of you the best in your private Quest to

regain your health!

Great thread !

For me its been a combination of things.

Married life and taking care of children more

than myself and night time eating along

with very poor Portion Control did me in.

As a youngster up to about 28 yrs old I was pretty

much at my normal weight for my height 5'10".

Through middle school and up through college

I was very athletic baseball, basketball football.

Weight lifting cycling I really enjoyed the runners

high and was even into yoga but after marriage (30)

my activity level dropped and the weight started

gaining and gaining and with some depresive

things going on at my business with my partner

and the wife and kids I felt like I didnt care anymore

about me all though I didnt admit it to myself.

THe next thing I knew 10 years of marriage and I was

300 lbs from 215 lbs and than after another 6 years

I was at 385 lbs wow !! near 400 lbs. I realized today

I eat wrong, wrong foods, night eating, huge portions

and eat because I loved food and nothing seemed to

slow me down. After getting the Band it stopped

me from over eating and now I chew slow and my food

choices are better and since July 06 I lost near 60 lbs

and I weigh in at 330 lbs so every day I weigh myself

to remind myself that a 200lb man can easily become

a 400 lb man. That will never happen to me again.

I am fat because I let myself become fat and today

I am headed toward my normal weight because I

recognize that this is what I want and the band

is there to assist in the process.

I wish all of you the best in your private Quest to

regain your health!

Wow! Awesome thread...You know nobody ever asks that. People just look at you and say oh, look how she let herself go...or wow..he/she can sure eat..They don't like to look at what's behind the extra weight. For me it's been a very long and uphill battle. Ever since I can remember I was being teased and ridiculed for being "chubby". Growing up in a latino home it was just not proper if you didn't eat and have meat on your bones. I was mom's pride an joy when my little legs looked like tiny hams. yeah a was cute but not healthy. When I got to middle school I lost some of the weight but was still kinda heavy. All through high school I was average...College the same...I met my husband (at about 16o lbs), fell in love and had my daughter. She was very sick during the first six months of her life with reflux...She cried 24 hours a day,s even days a week. While she cried I ate and ate and ate and...ate...the refridgerator was my companion...I went from 160 lbs to 220 lbs in the 6 months my daughter was sick. Since then I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing works. Now, at 31 I'm up to 237lbs ( I've lost 20 on the LB journey) I have PCOD and Hyperthyroid desease.my family has a hsitory of diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary desease, as well as other deseases...Funny, how with the hyper part I can't loose the weight...So, yes some of this is my fault and I've tried to correct it in many ways..the lap-band is my last resort...I'm praying that this commitment that I've made to myself and my family to get healthier will turn out well. Keep me in your prayers as I will keep you in mine!!

Wow! Awesome thread...You know nobody ever asks that. People just look at you and say oh, look how she let herself go...or wow..he/she can sure eat..They don't like to look at what's behind the extra weight. For me it's been a very long and uphill battle. Ever since I can remember I was being teased and ridiculed for being "chubby". Growing up in a latino home it was just not proper if you didn't eat and have meat on your bones. I was mom's pride an joy when my little legs looked like tiny hams. yeah a was cute but not healthy. When I got to middle school I lost some of the weight but was still kinda heavy. All through high school I was average...College the same...I met my husband (at about 16o lbs), fell in love and had my daughter. She was very sick during the first six months of her life with reflux...She cried 24 hours a day,s even days a week. While she cried I ate and ate and ate and...ate...the refridgerator was my companion...I went from 160 lbs to 220 lbs in the 6 months my daughter was sick. Since then I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing works. Now, at 31 I'm up to 237lbs ( I've lost 20 on the LB journey) I have PCOD and Hyperthyroid desease.my family has a hsitory of diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary desease, as well as other deseases...Funny, how with the hyper part I can't loose the weight...So, yes some of this is my fault and I've tried to correct it in many ways..the lap-band is my last resort...I'm praying that this commitment that I've made to myself and my family to get healthier will turn out well. Keep me in your prayers as I will keep you in mine!!

Bandida, I am no doctor or professional but I will say this much.

The band is only 1 part of the whole process by which

success will breed. The band is a start and food choices

and excercise are critical. Increased metabolisim is vital

so I hope that is a part of your weekly plan because the

band just alone will be a difficult road. Today I do cardo-

aerobics and weight training to speed up the metabolic rate.

There are so many choices when it comes to excercise

so do what you enjoy and make it fun. Thats the key

with excercise. Variety !!!!! Do a few different things

swimming, walking, riding a bike but stay as active as

possible and good luck. You can make it happen!!!!!!!

No excuses!!

You will do it because you want to!!!!!

Bandida, I am no doctor or professional but I will say this much.

The band is only 1 part of the whole process by which

success will breed. The band is a start and food choices

and excercise are critical. Increased metabolisim is vital

so I hope that is a part of your weekly plan because the

band just alone will be a difficult road. Today I do cardo-

aerobics and weight training to speed up the metabolic rate.

There are so many choices when it comes to excercise

so do what you enjoy and make it fun. Thats the key

with excercise. Variety !!!!! Do a few different things

swimming, walking, riding a bike but stay as active as

possible and good luck. You can make it happen!!!!!!!

No excuses!!

You will do it because you want to!!!!!

:confused: Artale, Oh, I most definately know that excercise is one fourth of the equation...The band, the diet, and MY WILL power and determination will complete it.:clap2: I use my bowflex and/or my excercise ball 2 to 3 times a week :faint: , sometimes I do an excercise video with some friends:dance:, and I usually walk 1 to 2 miles a day. I'm getting there. Like I said, I've been trying for many years and this is my last resort....Believe me, i've been through two c-sections :cry and I do NOT LIKE surgeries or hospitals..I would NOT be doing this if I didn't feel so positive about it...Thanks for the advice though, it's good to see people genuinely interested in my sucess. :whoo:Keep me in your thoughts and prayers:pray2:, A sI will keep you in mine!!!:)

Fat because my Mother lives to feed people (and she lives with us!), fat because Prednisone for Lupus causes disgusting weight gain, fat because I eat when bored and homelife is dull, fat because of bad habits carefully honed over the decades, fat because post menopausal, fat because over-eating disorder, fat because force fed as a child just like a goose being force fed to a fatty liver and great foie gras...OK maybe not that extreme, fat because food is easy and fast, fat because it takes no creativity to go out to a restaurant for something to do with hubby, fat because never was an exerciser, fat because I choose TV and internet over action. Ah, I could go on.

Going to be thin because: I'm going to the gym and doing treadmill at target heart rate, I turned off the TV (sometimes), Mom is not in charge of food anymore except for herself, I'm forcing myself to go out and do things, and I'm banded!

I love being morbidly obese, except for the morbidly obese part. The diet (or lack of one) is great. I think that is one of the reasons- I can eat whatever I want to eat whenever I want to eat it. When it comes to food I didn't deal with consequences. I had complete freedom. Of course the consequences catch up to you anyway.

So for me it is both complex and simple. A large part of it is that freedom- that never having to say no or curb impulses of food or "be good". Another part is a lifetime of bad habits and patterns. I come from a dysfunctional family, abusive mother. And I'm sure there is still part of me that is rebelling in one way because now I get to eat wahtever I want to- so there. And both my parents were morbidly obese. My mother lost about 120 pounds three years with weight watchers. I'm proud of her. But she is now obcessed with food- what she can and cannot eat. What she will eat next. When she will eat, etc. I don't want to have to be like that- always hunger or left feeling like I am going to have to eat cardboard and so forth. My brother was also morbidly obese before he went on the Atkins diet for his seizures. I used to be the thin one in the family. We used to have bad eating habbits. I still do.

Then my freshman year I gained a bunch of weight but I worked with a nutritionist and went to the gym and lost thirty pounds and kept it off for a year. I was both pround of that and also disapointed I didn't lose more- disapointed I didn't have more willpower, more control. I was still about 215, I still needed to lose 50 pounds. But food was so yummy! I got hungry, damnit. And then I got off my antidepressant that I had been on for three years (that was a big mistake) and I got depressed and I gained some weight- comfort food. And I was also treated for H. Pylori, the bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers. Now in some people it also causes weight cain. I finally found a study backing that up. I gained sixty pounds after they treated me for it. I swear my metabolism and stuff has never been the same since then. I just can't keep weight off. Plus I also developed fibromyalgia and narcolepsy my junior year of college following a long illness that involved big bad nerve pain in my abdomen. I felt sorry for myself- thats one part of it. Comfort food again. And I couldn't move much at all. I spent nearly a year in physical therapy and then another six months before I was strong enough to use the weight machines at the gym. I'm not as healthy or strong as I was before. And I'm heavier now. I also use food as a crutch sometimes. Maybe its a bad day and I'm sooo tired... well food can help me stay awake. Plus the sugar makes me feel better too. And it is satisfying, that big bite. If only it wasn't making my GERD worse, pushing on my joints, raising my blood pressure, and slowly killing me...

I am learning a lot of accountability and great techniques and other things. But I have come to the conclusion that sometimes I need some extra help. I think the band could be a great tool to help me on those days when I'm not quite strong enough all by myself- it might be that extra shove I need. And it could help keep from having my tummy do its "Feed me seymore!" type routine too. Then after it does its little shove thing I think I can take over again. I don't think its going to be easy. But I think I can do it with the band. I think that will help me make it through when I am sleepy and maybe had dreamed about cake and pizza or when I am feeling sorry for myself. It will be this reminder in me to say "you have to eat better". "You have to lose the weight now". Now if only would also clean the floors and do homework...

I love being morbidly obese, except for the morbidly obese part. The diet (or lack of one) is great. I think that is one of the reasons- I can eat whatever I want to eat whenever I want to eat it. When it comes to food I didn't deal with consequences. I had complete freedom. Of course the consequences catch up to you anyway.

So for me it is both complex and simple. A large part of it is that freedom- that never having to say no or curb impulses of food or "be good". Another part is a lifetime of bad habits and patterns. I come from a dysfunctional family, abusive mother. And I'm sure there is still part of me that is rebelling in one way because now I get to eat wahtever I want to- so there. And both my parents were morbidly obese. My mother lost about 120 pounds three years with weight watchers. I'm proud of her. But she is now obcessed with food- what she can and cannot eat. What she will eat next. When she will eat, etc. I don't want to have to be like that- always hunger or left feeling like I am going to have to eat cardboard and so forth. My brother was also morbidly obese before he went on the Atkins diet for his seizures. I used to be the thin one in the family. We used to have bad eating habbits. I still do.

Then my freshman year I gained a bunch of weight but I worked with a nutritionist and went to the gym and lost thirty pounds and kept it off for a year. I was both pround of that and also disapointed I didn't lose more- disapointed I didn't have more willpower, more control. I was still about 215, I still needed to lose 50 pounds. But food was so yummy! I got hungry, damnit. And then I got off my antidepressant that I had been on for three years (that was a big mistake) and I got depressed and I gained some weight- comfort food. And I was also treated for H. Pylori, the bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers. Now in some people it also causes weight cain. I finally found a study backing that up. I gained sixty pounds after they treated me for it. I swear my metabolism and stuff has never been the same since then. I just can't keep weight off. Plus I also developed fibromyalgia and narcolepsy my junior year of college following a long illness that involved big bad nerve pain in my abdomen. I felt sorry for myself- thats one part of it. Comfort food again. And I couldn't move much at all. I spent nearly a year in physical therapy and then another six months before I was strong enough to use the weight machines at the gym. I'm not as healthy or strong as I was before. And I'm heavier now. I also use food as a crutch sometimes. Maybe its a bad day and I'm sooo tired... well food can help me stay awake. Plus the sugar makes me feel better too. And it is satisfying, that big bite. If only it wasn't making my GERD worse, pushing on my joints, raising my blood pressure, and slowly killing me...

I am learning a lot of accountability and great techniques and other things. But I have come to the conclusion that sometimes I need some extra help. I think the band could be a great tool to help me on those days when I'm not quite strong enough all by myself- it might be that extra shove I need. And it could help keep from having my tummy do its "Feed me seymore!" type routine too. Then after it does its little shove thing I think I can take over again. I don't think its going to be easy. But I think I can do it with the band. I think that will help me make it through when I am sleepy and maybe had dreamed about cake and pizza or when I am feeling sorry for myself. It will be this reminder in me to say "you have to eat better". "You have to lose the weight now". Now if only would also clean the floors and do homework...

Sometimes the "why's" are so complex! The band has helped me

with the overeating issue but of course its not the cure all.

It absolutely helps curb the big portions but recently I have

moved into speeding up my metabolism due to aerobics and

weight training and I give you and excellent site www.musclenow.com

which was developed by all natural body builder franesco castano.

I ordered his program and I am very pleased with it. Many, many

helpful areas that tie into speeding up your metabolism which

is the real culprit. The body truly wants you to eat but the how

much and when and what is the issue. Great excellent program

well worth the money! Check it out!!

Lots of luck and thanks for sharing your story!