Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cardio vs. Strength finding balance

Hi all. So what are your doctors telling you about how much they want you excercising? Do they distinguish how much cardio and how much strength training they want you to do? or do they just say how many days a week?

My primary care Dr. is hounding me about excercise. She says that for weight loss I should concentrate more on Strength to build some muscle so I burn more calories at rest. However cardio is super important. She says I should be working out 5-6 days a week. Like 3 days strength and 2 days cardio.

I started walking at lunch for 45 min 3 times a week, she says that not enough. I said I'm doing baby steps, don't want to go balls out right away and get burnt.

I'm just curious as to what guidelines are being set forth for other bandsters in terms of Cardio vs. Strength. If it were up to me, I'd do cardio all the time. I know I need to build muscle though...

I had no guidelines set out for me by my Dr/P.A. Of course, I've been lifting weights since h.s., so I never had a problem with lifting. Cardio on the other hand has always been boring.

Now, I simply suck it up and do the cardio. I do cardio every morning before work for 50 minutes and on my days off I go for at least 90 minutes. 4 nights a wk I do strength training. But, I only do it for toning now and not for bulk.

Morning, Once my Surgeon cleared me for weight training (approx 10wk post op), he suggested I work both cardio and strength training. I got a trainer around that time period, told him my restrictions (food wise - cause he thought I should be eating 1500+ calories per day) and worked out a fitness program that encompases both. Right now I do a combo run/walk 30mins 4 days a wk - weight train 3 of those 4 days, and one day a wk I do a pilates or yoga class. I find the weight training is making me stronger to increase my cardio, and not feel like a fool while doing yoga :D.

I did have my 3month visit last wk, he thought I'd loose more weight by now, but I've lost SO much more inches, and I'd contribute that to working out at least 5 days a wk..Good luck to ya!!

The very best exercise to do is one that you'll actually DO consistently.

I like to change it up, because I get bored doing the same thing over and over. I have a treadmill that I use and love, I have a body ball with a workout dvd that I do, I have several different workout dvd's, I like to ride my bike in nice weather, I play volleyball in a league... But I'd get bored with any one of those things and would quit altogether if I didn't have something else to do.

Just make sure you're DOING something, and pushing yourself when you do. (Pushing, not KILLING yourself... :D )

i work out 5-6 days a week.

M, W, F, Sa - cardio

T, R, Sa - strength / core

i agree with travelgirl - anything consistent is what should be done (except of course consistently nothing :rolleyes2:)

Consistently being active is great but be careful about being too consistent in your workout. What I mean is that you have to very your workout routine or your body will stop responding as well as it did at first.

Find three or four different exercises for each muscle group and rotate them routinely for best results.

To be totally honest, I"m not sure I believe all the hype about strength training. I know having muscle on your body is important and means you'll burn more calories even at rest.

The thing is I've found that running HAS built lots of muscle on me. My thighs are rock hard, my abdominals are super strong and flat and I even have muscle definition on my arms from the upper body motion. I do very minimal amounts of strength training, preferring body weighted movements such as pushups and tricep dips (I really believe in functional fitness as opposed to just making specific muscles big). Its honestly been enough for me to this point.

Really though, , you need both and now I'm down to fine tuning, I definitely need more strenght work. I no longer need to shed lots of pounds so I could probably afford to cut back on cardio and take up that strength with weight work. I"m going to join the gym at uni when the semester starts back in March.

I think you'd find, no matter what science and the experts say taht if you do only cardio, you'll get thinner, and significantly harder but maybe not spectacularly so, but if you do only strenght training and not good amounts of cardio, you'll struggle to lose a lot of weight.

I think overall I'll stick with my focus on cardio whilst trying to increase the strenght work. Because really, it comes down to what you like to do and have time to do as well and actually DOING whatever it is you've chosen is the most important factor.

Its the same with the "you need to mix it up" message. It may be true, but you do get to a point where you dont need to keep shocking your body and keep losing weight, where the body you have is the one you want to keep. Running keeps me fit, healthy, energetic and slim. I do it consistently becuase it takes little time in the scheme of things and its fun. So I see very little reason to change it around.

Consistently being active is great but be careful about being too consistent in your workout. What I mean is that you have to very your workout routine or your body will stop responding as well as it did at first.

Find three or four different exercises for each muscle group and rotate them routinely for best results.

now that i look at my post about consistency, i can see how i can be misunderstood.

i meant consistently moving your body, not consistently doing the same thing over and over.

consistently getting off your couch and moving yer toushie... :frown:

My Dr told me to get to the gym and work out. no guidelines.

So I am doing the treadmil 5 days a week and I am lifting some weights every other day. I had a trainer and I am doing the work out he set up for me. I do have to say I am doing about the same thing every time. Because I know I am doing it right. I do increase my speed on the treadmil but I am not jogging I am at a fast for me walk. About 2.7 now. I am not holding on to the sides and my heart rate does get up there.

I would do something at home....but I know I would not do it. I would find an excuse to not do it. And I am not comfortable with my body yet to get into a class.

Any advise for me?

cerrin,

keep doing what you are doing. sounds about what i was doing when i weighed the same.

movement is good. when you shed another 30-50 pounds, try a class if you are comfortable. maybe talk to the instructor before hand. that's what i did with my first step class. i went a little early and chatted with the instructor. what i did was kept moving. even if i couldnt do all the fancy stepping, i moved ... either marching in place or just stepping up and down on the step.

you are doing great!!!

If you're doing the same thing every time, for example, ONLY walking on the treadmill, when it starts getting easy, change it up. Walk on a higher incline, speed it up, or go longer. No matter what you're currently doing, you can always change it up enough to keep challenging yourself.

Losingjustme, Thanks! I am at a size that it is hard to do too much. sometimes my ankles ache for days after just walking. and the swelling in my legs is an issue sometimes. it is going down with the weight loss but it is still an issue. I dont want to hurt myself then fall too far out of rythem

I value your advise because you were where I am. So thanks.

Travelgirl, I am increasing the speed. Every so often I put a little but of an incline in there but then my hips start to ache so I take it back down.

I am trying to keep increasing my work outs. I think the not holding on advise I got somewhere is really helping. Man is it hard not holding on.

HI

my name is sabrina...i need some advice on exercise, i just started walking 2mls. daily, sometimes 3-4 mls.

i know i need to change it up,i also have an elliptical & a weight bench......what do you recommend?

my email is sabby5k@yahoo.com