Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Clear Liquids How can you heal?

I was banded 1/25 and nutritionist has me on a clear liquid diet for 1 week and then on to mushies the next week. I can have Clear liquids including juice, broth, sf Jello, sf popsickles, and Water. My incisions don't feel bad, but I feel so weak and I think I really have hunger pangs instead of surgery pain. I can't see how I'll heal on this kind of diet, I mean that is maybe 100 calories a day. I haven't had much juice it goes right through me. Yesterday I added skim milk and have been tolerating it well.

Did anyone drink Protein shakes after or what. I'll be calling this morning when they open to ask what to do.

Advice appreciate.

Renee

My post op diet was to include a high Protein CLEAR liquid drink. I used Isopure CLEAR drink. It has 40 gms of Protein in one 20 oz bottle.

I still drink have a glass a couple times a week to be sure I get all my protein. some people don;t like the taste, but they have several different flavors. GNC stores sell them.

I had my surgery on Jan. 23rd and I think I am going to starve. My doctor has me on Clear Liquids for two weeks and yes I am getting hunger pangs too. He has me drinking SF Carnation Instant Breakfast, 2 oz. for Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mixed with 1% or skim milk it really isn't too bad. Than I fill in the rest of my day with broth, sf Jello, sf pops, etc. Hope this is helpful, Shawna

Didn't your Doctor's tell you what to expect for a diet post-op?

I know exactly what I will eat after surgery, why, and what to expect.

Clear liquids for one day, two weeks of Carnation Instant Breakfast/Clear Liquid. I need to make sure I am getting at least 45 g of Protein every day.

I was banded on 1/22. I have been eating weight watcher popsicles, slim fast, Soups that are processed with my magin bullet and also Protein Shakes which are really good. I got the whey from Walmart and you can mix different things with it. These 10 days are very hard because I can't stop dreaming about meat (LOL), but I'll get thru it.

I was only on clear liquids for 3 days post op. (broth, Jello, herb tea, clear juice) then went on to regular liquids which included cream Soups, runny cream of wheat, protien shakes, pudding, etc. for a week. then two weeks of mushies which included applesauce, pureed foods, mashed banana, mashed avocado, mashed potatoes, refried Beans, oatmeal, etc.

Thanks for all the information and support. I called the nutritionist, who I'm really upset with and explained to her about needing more sustenance. She never recommended Protein stupplements in clear form, and had advised me a week before surgery that if I had an issue with juices to stay away from them as they may cause the runs, which they did. So, when I called her and asked her how I am supposed to heal with maybe 100 calories and no Protein, she said what about juice and I told her what happened (ok and juice has no protein), and her answer was well that is why you have to rotate between juice and Water every hour. Then she throws in you can have clear Protein drinks (none of which is in her documents list of things to do), and so I tell her I am getting Isopure and she says I can't have that, then I decide she doesn't know what she is talking about because Isopure is clear protein. She just kept telling me that they didn't want me to have more than 500 calories a day. I really feel like they should be more concerned with the nutritional content of the diet versus the caloric content. Obviously, I want to lose weight, but that is not my priority right now, I want to heal and move on with the next stage, but I don't want to harm anything. I just finally told her don't worry about me, I'll be fine, but I'm not dealing with her anymore.

I haven't had any trouble with skim milk or with the 2 oz of thin pudding I just ate.

It seems that many others only had clear liquids anywhere from 1 to 3 days, some a week, but I just can't imagine making it a full week. So, I'm going to add a little thicker broths and see if that helps and drink the Isopure.

Thanks for all of your input.

Renee

I haven't been banded yet (Feb. 13th) and feel badly that you really need more nourishment...what if you added some Protein powder (whey) to your broth....maybe you'd feel fuller and more content. Good Luck...let us know what happens. Nut. sounds like a ditz.

Marieze

I have not been banded yet but my doctor has giving me a complete list already. for weeks 1&2 I can have Diluted fruit juices, yogart drinks milk vegetable juice-hot Cereal made runny-broth and creams Soups strained to remove chuncks-protein drinks (not high in carb or sugar providing at least 15 grs of Protein per servin) SF jellow, popsicles, pudding, dairy yougurt, good choices are Dannon Light and fit and carb countdown brands.

This is right of my paper work I have been given. Hope this helps. It also says thickness ranging from that apple juice to that of cream Soup. Sould be body temperature and would pass through a straw, but should not use a straw to consume.

there are at least two kinds of Isopure ( and maybe more), but one is a CLEAR pre-mixed drink in a 20 oz bottle that has 40 grams of Protein. There is also a powder form of Isopure.

I was allowed the CLEAR right after surgery, but not the powder one. The powder one was not allowed for me until week 3.

Lots of people on the forum were allowed the same Isopure CLEAR right after surgery.

In the first week, it can be tough to get in enough Protein for proper healing unless you drink something like this. The first few days, it would take me all day, to drink one bottle! broth will have some protein as well.

Wow I am jealous that you only had to be on liquids 1 week! I was banded on Christmas eve, and had to stay on liquids (full) until Jan 10 then 2 weeks of pureed food! But I did drink protien drinks and even bought the Water with protien and the additional protien did help with the hunger. Best of luck!

.....are essential! You can find Isopure on GNC: Vitamins, supplements, Minerals, Herbs, Sports Nutrition, Diet & Energy and more in lots of different flavors. I am on full liquids for 4 weeks and have been able to get quite a bit of low carbs and high protien. My menu today was:

20 oz. Isopure...like the Apple-Melon

4 oz. chicken broth

4 oz. Water

12 oz. 1% Milk with Body Fortress Protien shake (walmart)

4 oz. African Honeybush Twinings Hot team with a splenda and splash of milk..delish!

4 oz. Water

12 oz. vanilla Body Fortress with 1% milk

4 oz. chicken broth

Of course everyone should follow their own doctors rules, but I feel great and am down 10 lbs already!

Christine

Wow, Christine! That's an amazingly helpful list! I've not seen someone's liquid intake laid out like that before, with details on content and volumes. And it's particularly helpful because it's the clear liquids phase that worries me the most. Your post gives me a sense of the provisions I'm going to have to lay in before I head off for the chop.

I have a great Soup cookbook which I've never really worked with - sounds like a great time to start... I should do some clear Soups or consommes or what have you, and freeze them ahead of time.

Really, THANKS!!!

I'm having surgery on Monday and will be using a Protein supplement to help with the hunger pains and get a few extra calories. It has no taste, so you can put it in anything. It's Beneprotein and I found it at Walgreen's. Put it in Water, clear broths, etc.... it'll help. Good luck!