Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having MAJOR reservations

I'm having some major anxiety today. My surgery is in 3 days and I'm FREAKING OUT. I don't know if I can go through with this, I really don't. I'm seriously scared right now and I don't know what do to. My DH is trying to be supportive, he's been very supportive, but I honestly think if I told him right now that I was cancelling, he would be ecstatic. I'm just so unsure about it right now and I just don't know what to do. I'm sick to my stomach I'm so stressed right now.

I just really need to get this out to people that maybe understand what I'm going through right now. Were you this nervous beforehand? How do I get through this? Help me please! :cursing:

I think it's normal to be scared. Just concentrate on the end result and it may help you to get past this pre-surgery panic.

Think about it logically, too. You probably picked a good surgeon that's performed this operation lots of times. The complications possible are slight. It's probably more dangerous to not have the surgery and continue to gain weight.

Go look at the before and after pictures and then imagine yourself in one of those after pictures.

I had a hysterectomy, elbow surgery, appendectomy, and gave birth to a 8 1/2 pound baby girl. The lap band was by far the easiest of all of these.

Best wishes for you to recover quickly and heal fast.

Sue

Amber, i felt the same way.. Even when i was walking into the OR i asked them to give me something fast to help because I was freaking out. The other post is right, The ONLY thing that stopped me from backing out was the back pain and neck pain that i was dealing with. I'm now very happy i didn't back out and you will be to. The other thing that kept me going was the thought that it's only a 45min to an hour that you will be under.

hang in there and just remember why you started this in the first place.

Good luck

Amber:

No one can tell you what to do. Only you know what is right for you. We can all share our experiences, but that decision is yours. I went through the same thing. They moved my date up from the 29 to the 25th. They told me that 4 days before. I panicked then. It became very real. I felt sure that I could (once again) lose the weight myself. After all, I lost 16 pounds on the week and half pre-op. But my DH reminded me, can you keep it off? No. Over the years I have lost. I lost 80 pounds and put it back on plus another 30. I lost 60 pounds last year and put back on 30. I vowed that I would not do this again. My back is in such pain and can't do the things I want, walk, hike, canoe, enjoy life. My knees and feet won't sustain any activity. Buy I know how much I improved when I lost the 60 pounds........and how quick those pains came back with the 30 gain. I knew I had wasted too many years of my life being overweight and had to take this step. So, right up to the minute I was put under, I wondered. I asked my DH if I should walk away and he said "your choice". This is YOUR choice. I can tell you that right now, I do not believe I made the wrong decision. I know I can't do it myself, I need help. This lapband is a very good tool, but you will have to do the work or it won't run right. Look at your future and see what you envision........how do you see yourself? What steps do you have to take to get there? Make the choice that is right for you. It will be the right one for you. Remember, we make decisions based on the information we have at the time we make them. Review all the pros and cons and to help you make the decision. Write them down. Pros on one side, cons on the other. That can help tip the balance.

Good luck! The operation is quick, not overly painful. I too have had a hysterectomy, a thyroidectomy and two children! This was a piece of cake! Whoops! Probably not the best thing to say!

Keep in touch!

Amber, Don't be scared. I was scared, we all were. And the first week with no food really SUCKED. But now, I can eat 1 cup of food and be really full. I love it. I don't have to worry about over eating because I feel full and stop eating. If it stays like this I think I have Finally overcome this weight problem. And you are 23, I'm 52 so how lucky that you will get a handle on this early and go on with the rest of your life. Be scared, but don't cancel the surgery. I went home the same day and did not even need pain meds and I had my ovaries removed at the same time and was back at work 3 days later. You can do this. And you will be happy you did. Not eating for the first week was worse than the surgery. :wink2: GO FOR IT!

The night before my surgery, as I was on Clear liquids and my two friends that were there to support me were scarfing down pizza, I was soooo close to backing out.

I had had panic attacks two weeks before and then about 10 days out I had a feeling of calm come over me. That lasted until the day before and then I started all the "what ifs" and began bemoaning all the foods I wouldn't be able to have. Blah, blah, blah. I must have driven my friends stark-raving MAD! They were nothing but supportive and offered tons of encouragement and positive message. But to be honest... I wasn't into hearing them. I was into feeling sorry for myself and worrying. I finally went with one of them down to the beach (I had my surgery done in Irvine, California.. not far from the ocean) and watched the sunset and finally said, "what the &*#*"; you did all your research; you've come this far; get over your bad self." And I did. The calm came back and I actually looked forward to my surgery the next day. It went amazingly well. Far better than I ever could have imagined.

Your feelings have been felt by hundreds before you and you are not alone, now. This is all a part of the process and is completely normal.

I actually did back out mid-way through the process, had the surgery date and everything (just before the meeting with the nutritionist, not out of fear, but because I was, at the time trying the Atkins diet and for 2 weeks had been losing a lot of weight. I decided that I just had to give the Atkins diet one last shot. Well, for the next 4 weeks I only lost one pound and eventually (like all the numerous times in the past) I fell off the Atkins diet and started eating all the wrong things. It was at that point I knew I must go through with the lap band surgery as I had tried everything else. I wasn't excited about having the surgery but more just 'resigned' to having it. Well, now I'm one week post-op and I feel great because I eat their prescribed 3oz. pureed meat, 3oz. pureed vegetables, pureed fruit, etc. and I am NOT hungry, feel totally satisfied, and am losing weight. At this point, I am so so so glad I had the surgery. And finally, I am excited about having had the surgery. I have even begun clipping out items of clothing from catalogs which I'm dying to wear. I suspect that you too will be so glad you had the surgery a few days after the surgery. Hang in there, you'll make it and be glad you did.

Amber seriously I could have written that thread myself, right down to the hubby part. I think it is something we all feel. I really felt like "what if I die doing something for vanity?". I tol my Dr this on the phone because I was thinking of backing out, which I am SOOOOOOO glad I did not, and he asked me how much weight I am putting on a year. I told him anywhere from 5 to 10 lbs. He then told me that if I continue doing that I would be 430 lbs by the time I was 50. It was such a wake up call. He said it is not at all about vanity, it is about good health and that I was doing something about it. Think of your longterm health. Don't think of 3 days from now, think of 3 years from now. You can do it girl. Just pull them big girl panties up and go for it. I SWEAR you will not regret it. Keep us informed on how it goes.

Hi Amber:

I had so many last meals planned before my surgery but I was so nervous I could not eat a thing. I was begging the nurse in waiting area to take me off the table it was all fear. Only you can figure out what you are really afraid of. This is a process that you have to be committed to. Your head has to be ready for the change you are about to make. For me it has been a wonderful change does not mean it has not been hard and challanging at times but I am so happy that I stayed on the table and went through with the banding. I was banded a month ago and I have lost 20lbs. but better than that I have not had any surgar or bread and I feel so much better. The joke in my office is that now I am the first one in every morning instead of the last. Think of what your fears are before you make any decisions. It is normal to be scared.

Amber, I hope you realize that we all felt the same way you do right now. I was banded on the 3rd and I feel fine. No problems (except gas in the beginning) Good luck and let us know how everything goes. My biggest hand up was that I still wanted to be able to eat tons of food like I did in the past. But guess what, I hardly ever even want to eat now. It's CRAZY! I love it so far.

Amber, I was just banded on Monday, the 28th. I had the same reservations just before surgery. I was starting to realize what a permanent step this was. I was starting to mourn for the foods I was going to be "forced" to give up. Mourn my old eating habits? Change is always scary for me. I decided to not give in to these last minute fears, and remember how badly I wanted this in the beginning. Just stay focused if you can. It's been 2 days since the surgery and I have had no regrets! Good luck!

i was the same!!!!

you go girlfriend... my banding was a breeze... im never ever gonna look back.. just keep going forward! all the best you can do it. i can anyone can