Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 4 wks post op. I have been on the liquid diet faithful. On Monday it has been 4 wks since surgery. All of my nutritional papers say liquid diet 1-4 wks and then mushies from 4-6wks. I was suppose to see the Dr. this week for my 4 wk check, but he is going to be out of town. My next appointment isn't until 2/6/08. Should I start mushies or wait until I am seen on the 6th? What would you do? I am sick of all liquid, but I want to do everything right. I don't want to mess up. I didn't go through all of this for nothing.

Sounds like your surgeon's instructions are to start mushies at 4 weeks, so it sounds like to me, you are good to go.

I am 4 wks post op. I have been on the liquid diet faithful. On Monday it has been 4 wks since surgery. All of my nutritional papers say liquid diet 1-4 wks and then mushies from 4-6wks. I was suppose to see the Dr. this week for my 4 wk check, but he is going to be out of town. My next appointment isn't until 2/6/08. Should I start mushies or wait until I am seen on the 6th? What would you do? I am sick of all liquid, but I want to do everything right. I don't want to mess up. I didn't go through all of this for nothing.

I agree your probably ok to start mushies. But is the ENTIRE office out of town ? Normally someone is in the office and they can answer quetsions for you > when in doubt ask the doc .

Mindy

Someone must be 'on-call' for the practice. I would try to reach someone. If you cannot, it sounds like the literature your doctor gave you gives you the OK at 4 weeks to go ahead. I would start with very soft foods, introduce one food at a time, and see how you feel.

Your doctor's regimin is very conservative so I wouldn't worry about starting mushies now. I was on mushies at 1 week and on solids after week 4. Your body should be very well adjusted by now to introduce mushies. That being said, just take it easy.

You do not need to see your doctor every time you begin a new phase in your post-op healing diet. If the instructions say to begin mushies @ 4 weeks, then by all means, begin them at 4 weeks.

NO she does not need to SEE her doctor. but my point was she has questions , she DOES need to ask her DOCTOR not the boards if she has questions.

Someone is usually on call even if the doctor is out of the office .

Doctors all have different instructions for reasons. This is not the place to be giving other people medical advice even with something as simple as when to start liquids mushies. People need to get into the habit of asking their doctors !

Mindy

I know people are on call at the office, but I was just asking if you guys thought it would be okay because the full liquids for 4 weeks is about all I can take. I believe I will move to bland mushies until I see my Dr. I will move to instant potatoes, etc. along with the liquid, as I can tolorate it. I know my Dr is a little more conservative than most, but I believe he is trying to reduce my intake until my 6 week check up when I get my first fill. I think he is trying to avoid that phase where I have read some have gained weight instead of losing weight. I do appreciate all of the advice.

If your paper work says at week 4 start a new stage then that is what I would do . I know the new stages can be scary . They were for me . And I know you probably want to make sure your doing the right thing, i was the same way . There is no reason to stay on the stage your on now if you do not have to . But it wont hurt to double check what you think is right with your doc . His staff will/should know the regime as well .

That's why some of us suggested you go ahead and call the office anyway .

HTH

Mindy

I had the same problem. My doctor was on Christmas vacation when it was time for me to start mushies. the paperwork I was given originally was signed by him, and it matched what I was given in the hospital, so I went ahead and started them. I felt like I DID have his blessing on it. I was given a folder with explicit instructions in it. It was pages and pages of information. All of it was signed off by him personally.