Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you really start losing weight

When did you REALLY start losing weight?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. When did you REALLY start losing weight?

• Right after surgery
    • After your 1st fill?
    • After your 2nd fill?
    • 3rd fill
    • 4th fill?
    • later?

I lost 29 lbs in the first 6-7 weeks but haven't lost anything since. My first fill didn't help much so I pretty much ate what I wanted. I had my 2nd fill a couple of days ago and it seems to be working.

Wow, it's so interesting to see how different everyone's bodies are.

I began losing weight right after surgery (may 2, 2007). I went in for my one-week post-op check up and I was down 19 lbs. I consistently lost 15 lbs a month until September, when things slowed down. I got a third fill in November and am back to the 15 lbs a month. I just recently hit the 100-lb mark and hoping the weight loss continues it's rapid journey off my body! I've also been so ill with the gallbladder attacks that I haven't eaten much of anything and have just dropped off almost 10 lbs within the week. I'm so scared to eat anything that might set it off. I've finally braved drinking gatorade (i'm really really dehydrated) and some non-fat cottage cheese. But that's the most I've eaten in a week! =(

Congratulations to everyone and their phenomenal weight loss. Keep it up!!!

I think there are really two different questions: when did you lose the MOST weight and when did you start losing consistently?

Most of us probably did lose the MOST weight right after surgery, though I've certainly read about some exceptions. I lost 7.5 pounds in the week after surgery -- I can't imagine I'll ever have a week like that again. It also seems like most of us don't reach CONSISTENT weight loss, if we do, until we start getting restriction. Again, there are many exceptions to this, as you've read in the previous posts.

I found myself expecting "an average of 1 to 2 pounds per week" to begin AFTER the initial loss. Instead, I've lost and average of almost 2 pounds per week INCLUDING the initial loss, so that means I've had several weeks with little or no loss. Now that I've had my second fill, I am seeing the weight come off more quickly than it did in the second and third months after surgery. But I'm happy! :)

Wow, it's so interesting to see how different everyone's bodies are.

I began losing weight right after surgery (may 2, 2007). I went in for my one-week post-op check up and I was down 19 lbs. I consistently lost 15 lbs a month until September, when things slowed down. I got a third fill in November and am back to the 15 lbs a month. I just recently hit the 100-lb mark and hoping the weight loss continues it's rapid journey off my body! I've also been so ill with the gallbladder attacks that I haven't eaten much of anything and have just dropped off almost 10 lbs within the week. I'm so scared to eat anything that might set it off. I've finally braved drinking gatorade (i'm really really dehydrated) and some non-fat cottage cheese. But that's the most I've eaten in a week! =(

Congratulations to everyone and their phenomenal weight loss. Keep it up!!!

Congratulations on your 100 lbs loss! Gives me hope. Awesome!

I initally dropped 20 lbs after surgery, but then it was as struggle. I didn't start back on the downward trend until after I had my 2nd fill.

I have lost an average of 2 pounds a week, but a lot of that was in the liquid diet phase. However, none of that rapid loss (which was probably a lot of water) has come back. So, although it doesn't look impressive on those low loss weeks, I know there is fat loss that is being overshadowed by some of the original Water loss coming back. It's all good. I am not in a giant rush. I started in size 24W jeans three months ago and am now wearing 18W. No more elastic waistbands - EVER!

Check out my signature line, and you can see how much I lost each week. My advice is don't drive yourself crazy. Just eat right, exercise, drink Water, relax, and have some splurges now and then so you shake up wour metabolism and stay sane.

I just had surgery on 1/15/08 and have lost 20.5 pounds so far. I hope this continues for another month. I go to see the doc on 2/12/08. I will get a fill when I stop losing. As long as I continue to lose some is there any reason to have a fill?? I don't mind taking it nice and slow.

Congrats to everyone you are all doing so good!!!

Bren

i'm exactly 109 days out today. My starting weight was 228. i currently weigh 115.

i lost 12 lbs in the first 4 weeks after surgery, then i gained them all back. Then, i got my 4th fill, and i am now 115. My fourth fill was 1/16. So, i have lost 13 lbs in about 2.5 weeks. That is AMAZING for me.

i must say, my doctor says that i had very little fat around my stomach, and i had absolutely no restriction at all until my 3rd fill, and not enough to make a difference until my 4th fill.

(when i say no restriction, i mean literally..i had no idea i had a band)

I Was Banded On Jan 7, 2008. So Far I Have Only Lost 14 Lbs. I Have Not Dropped A Pound In 2 Weeks. Its Getting Depressing. Help!

This is not uncommon about 3-4 weeks after surgery and before you get your first fill. I have read countless threads of people saying exactly the same thing so you are not alone. You will start losing again once you start getting fills. In the meantime, make sure to stay away from carbs and don't stuff yourself just because you can. The band controls quantity, not quality. That's your job, to feed your band the right stuff. Carbs will take you right back to where you started. So hang in there, follow good eating habits and look forward to your first fill.

Thanks So Much For The Advice. My First Fill Is Scheduled For Feb. 18......wish Me Luck.

Not too much longer to go!!! Just keep in mind that you may not get proper restriction right away. Even if you don't, just keep eating like a bandster and you will do fine!

I was banded 12/17/08 and just had my first fill last week. After surgery I lost 14 pounds. The first two to three weeks I did really good and then I had to go out of town. i could eat probably 1/2 - 3/4 of what I use to eat. I kept the 14 pounds off from the first couple of weeks but I was a little nervous too feeling like I was eating too much. The first couple of weeks when I was losing the weight I felt cold and weak. :wink2: When I started eating more, I felt better...:confused:

After my first fill last week, I have noticed a difference in the amount I can eat. It is much less but I'm still adjusting to "how much" and how things have changed since the fill... :eek: Today after Breakfast I have been uncomfortable. A couple of bites and I just feel like things are going to come back up and the food isn't going down....:mad: I'm sure my weight loss with increase now with the first fill. I'm trying to stay focus on the long term picture and losing the weight in a healthy pace. It's so easy to feel pressure about not losing enough or fast enough...:angry:

food is still an issue... :huh2: I don't think habits change overnight but this seems to be a great tool to force some positive change and give us the ability to be healthier and skinnier... :tt1: Not sure if this helps... I'm so new at this too... Just hang in there and keep the momentum going!!!

i started losing the day after surgery. actually, the first 65-70 pounds were relatively easy with proper diet and LOTS!!! of exercise. (by lots i mean 7-10 times a week).

ever since i hit 100 pounds in June, it's been extremely slow. but, my diet and exercise has not been ideal either. i do not blame my band one bit.