Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so angry...this is so disappointing

OK so I had my band put in 9-11-06 in Mexico(self pay, obviously). Kewl. I was excitded. I lost 30 pounds right off the bat. that was great. I went in november 06 for my first fill to a local doctor. $350 later I am thinking I am well on my way to being in shape for the summer. Well no weight loss but maintaining so I get another fill in January 07. A little tighter this time so I am excited agian. Well the restriction fades and I go back in in febuary 07 and my band has less than 2ccs in it. They fill it back up to 5.2. I go back a week later and there is less than 2ccs again. They tell me you must have a leak call your surgeon. So I play phone tag with him for about a month and he says "oh no it cant be leaking bla bla bla, come back I will check it" Well that requires a plane trip and more money. Well life got really complicated my mom got sick and died. I spent alot of time on the east coast with her and family over the summer. Well I get back home and think it's time to get this thing fixed. So I book a flight to Mexico, book a room, arrange with doc etc etc. In september almost a year to the date of my surgery I go back to have my band checked out. Well that was a total waste of my time and money. The doc puts contrast in my band and checks it out under fluoro. Cant see anything leaking. Well obviously its a slow leak, but you should see something. So he says if you want we can check it in the morning b4 you leave. I say YEA. So that night I was told not to eat bla bla bla because of the fill and I do anyway. I want to put pressure on this thing so he can see the leak and fix it(at my expense) while I am down there. Well next morning nothing. So I go home thinking ok all is good. Flash forward a week and a half and no restriction. Yea I am getting angry I want this to work and I have seen it work in others and I want to get this weight off. So I call the local doctors office and ask what they would charge to check and fix my leaking port/tubing(whatever it is) and they tell me again call my surgeon. They also tell me "you shouldnt' have skimped on the surgery and we would have fixed it bla bla bla. " So basically they will fill it but not fix it.

So here I am 16 months after surgery, still down 30 pounds (thank god) but very frustrated. (this is where everyone is gonna get viscious) I have been filling my band about every 10-20 days at home. I am slowly losing a few pounds but know this thing should be working better for me.

Any suggestions??

Thanks for listening

Do you mean you are filling it yourself? I'm not going to get vicious, I just hope you have some medical background, maintain sterile technique, and know what you are doing. I'm a nurse and I don't think I would try it, but if I had all the problems you have had I might concider it. Who knows? Now I can promice you you will get some vicious responses so be prepared.

I have the proper equiptment and am using sterile supplies. My port is very accessible, in fact it actually sticks out.

Hi,

I say fair play to you, once you know what you're doing. Nobody else is going to help you. One word of warning, if you are able to fill you will also be able to defill. I'm not sure how healthy that would be for me, I would be tempted to defill if I had say a wedding to go to and then fill it back up the next day.:rolleyes2: But thats me. I do hope this works out for you. Good luck.

OK so I had my band put in 9-11-06 in Mexico(self pay, obviously). Kewl. I was excitded. I lost 30 pounds right off the bat. that was great. I went in november 06 for my first fill to a local doctor. $350 later I am thinking I am well on my way to being in shape for the summer. Well no weight loss but maintaining so I get another fill in January 07. A little tighter this time so I am excited agian. Well the restriction fades and I go back in in febuary 07 and my band has less than 2ccs in it. They fill it back up to 5.2. I go back a week later and there is less than 2ccs again. They tell me you must have a leak call your surgeon. So I play phone tag with him for about a month and he says "oh no it cant be leaking bla bla bla, come back I will check it" Well that requires a plane trip and more money. Well life got really complicated my mom got sick and died. I spent alot of time on the east coast with her and family over the summer. Well I get back home and think it's time to get this thing fixed. So I book a flight to Mexico, book a room, arrange with doc etc etc. In september almost a year to the date of my surgery I go back to have my band checked out. Well that was a total waste of my time and money. The doc puts contrast in my band and checks it out under fluoro. Cant see anything leaking. Well obviously its a slow leak, but you should see something. So he says if you want we can check it in the morning b4 you leave. I say YEA. So that night I was told not to eat bla bla bla because of the fill and I do anyway. I want to put pressure on this thing so he can see the leak and fix it(at my expense) while I am down there. Well next morning nothing. So I go home thinking ok all is good. Flash forward a week and a half and no restriction. Yea I am getting angry I want this to work and I have seen it work in others and I want to get this weight off. So I call the local doctors office and ask what they would charge to check and fix my leaking port/tubing(whatever it is) and they tell me again call my surgeon. They also tell me "you shouldnt' have skimped on the surgery and we would have fixed it bla bla bla. " So basically they will fill it but not fix it.

So here I am 16 months after surgery, still down 30 pounds (thank god) but very frustrated. (this is where everyone is gonna get viscious) I have been filling my band about every 10-20 days at home. I am slowly losing a few pounds but know this thing should be working better for me.

Any suggestions??

Thanks for listening

WOW!!!! Sure hope this is not what is wrong with me. I have no suggestions.

I have been at the local dr.s office and heard people say things like I am going on vacation, so unfill me. I think that is the stupidest thing. What is the point in going through surgey, being poked and prodded monthly or whatever, just to say I want to be able to eat BIG This week/night/month or whatever. Trust me this is never gonna happen to me. I am so frustrated with this band that I ma determined to make it work. The only thing I find myself wanting to do is fill more frequently as I feel the restriction going away.

Trust me this is not the way I imagined or planned this thing to go. If I could afford it right now, I would have this thing taken out and have the bypass done. I am TIRED of being FAT!!

If it were me, I would see if I could find another surgeon for a second opinion. If you in fact do have a slow leak, there's omnipaque that they can use for a fill, and that can help. Otherwise, they should be able to replace the leaky port or tubing or band, whatever.

There is no reason in the world that you should have to be filling your own band every 10-20 days.

My 2nd fill visit my doc mentioned not having all the Fluid he put in the first time..... same was said to me...to go to my surgeon...(in Tijuana).

He filled me up and put about 2.5 in a 4cc band.

I was so worried, cried,etc.

Well, I did nothing....waited. There are ways to get restriction with the Fluid you have.

Meaning don't fight against the band..... stop eating!!!!

I did for six months and there was no leak....that's obvious.