Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Image?

I was just wondering if anyone is also experiencing body image issues. I've lost quite a bit of weight, but don't seem to think of myself that way. I was talking to someone who is the same size as me... and I think in my head I'm about 50 pounds heaver then her.... anyone else dealing with this? Any advice?

it takes your mind a bit of time to catch up with your weight lose... but dont worry you'll get there...!!!:rolleyes2:

I'm in the same boat!!! My twin sister has always been smaller than me - always!!!! My son is starting to mistake me for her when he sees me from a distance. Such a huge compliment for me but I don't believe it.

She claims to be wearing an 8 (serious dunlap happening) and I'm in a 12 working on getting into some 10's. I still feel huge dispite the numbers on the scale and the size on the clothes.

Seeing my before and 6mo pic together helps but I still see where the fat is. Mostly it shows me just how huge I was before and didn't even know it.

Cameras are evil :rolleyes2:

wombat

I have the same problems, but it depends on the day. Some days I have "skinny" days and I really see how much smaller I am and other days I just see a "fatter" girl looking back at me. Pictures are the only way I can see progress, that and the size on my tag.

I believe we all suffer from the "Disease of Perception" which means we don't always see things the way they really are....especially when dealing with ourselves. I always run my thoughts by another person when wanting a really true picture of what is going on. I don't think we are good judges of ourselves.....I weigh 148 now and sometimes I feel so, so out of shape...other days I feel very thin and very accepting about where I'm at. Iam told over and over...FEELINGS ARE NOT FACTS......THEY CHANGE AND THE WAY YOU FEEL TODAY ABOUT YOURSELF IS LIKELY TO CHANGE BY TOMORROW. According to the facts, I should look pretty good. :rolleyes2:

Love yourself every day no matter what weight you are. I did that even when I was morbidly obese. You need to be good to yourself. If you feel bad about yourself then others will to. Treat yourself with respect every day. You look great and don't forget that!

I think I have always struggled with this but in different ways. Sometimes I would see myself as smaller than I really was (denial) but other times I would see me as bigger than I was. Have you had a chance to see "How to look good Naked" on lifetime? There is a part in the show where they have a line of people in their underwear and the participant is asked to put themselves in the line where they think they would fit in according to size. They of coarse always get it wrong. You post reminded me of this. I think this will change over time as we get used to our new bodies. If not, there is always counseling.....

I think it is like when you have a big zit. my mom never notices the zit but I think it is HUGE! I can only see the Zit. and mom always says it is not that big...

We SEE the fat...so we think the fat we see is bigger then it is to anyone else.

I don't have this problem. I think I have always been in denial about how big I am. Don't get me wrong, I hate my body and I know that I am fat but I can definitely see the difference and I already feel better about myself. When I would compare myself to someone I just couldn't believe that I was bigger than them. DENIAL!!!!

I had this problem up until I met my current girlfriend, she gave me that positive reinforcement. It's really hard sometimes because people don't usually like to say "You could still lose a few pounds" or anything like that so it is harder to gauge how people view you. It's a lot easier to accept the new you if you like yourself. Non-scale victories are a pretty good indicator as well.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like someone before me said, you're going to get over it in time. :lol:

In the meantime, try to mentally convince yourself that you do look good and if you do that enough, your brain will convince you otherwise. It's a great thing.

I just saw a "Biggest Loser" type list involving some people I know. I was SHOCKED to see I weighed the same or a little less than 2 of the girls involved! These are 2 girls I have never thought of as being very heavy or significantly over weight, as I view myself!

I'm also within 5lbs of my younger sister for the first time EVER! I get the impression it bothers her. She's about 25lbs over her normal weight right now. Even with her recent weight gain, I feel waaaaaaaaay bigger than her.

I have a huge problem with this. At times I feel that I look exactly the same as I did preband and at other times I feel thin. For me pictures really help and having clothes that fit. Group pictures are the best because it allows me to compare myself to others and most of the time I am absolutly shocked at what I see.

On a diet messageboard I used to frequent they referred to this as "fat goggles". We look through the goggles and still see ourselves the way we were! Sometimes I'll see a reflection of myself out of the corner of my eye and I will have to do a double take.. is that really me - when did I lose all of that weight?

I worry (just a little!) sometimes when I'm at a really low weight how I will deal with it - I have NEVER been thin so I'm wondering if I will somehow start sabotaging myself to get back to the familiar me. I hope I will be able to adjust - actually I just hope I can get to that point where it's something to worry about!