Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got surgery date and scared

I am pre-op, and decided to quit my pop habit now. Every morning started with a stop to get a Polar Pop of Diet Pepsi, then switched to Diet Dr Pepper, interlaced with Water...Well, I'm happy to report, I've not had a pop since Wednesday! I've had my moments, especially in the morning.

For now I am drinking unsweetened ice tea. Which makes my very British hubby shudder, he doesn't understand why anyone would want ice tea! But he is being VERY supportive of my decision.

So for me, it's a HUGE deal to give up carbonated drinks, but I try to think, this is one step I can do NOW to get ready for the surgery.

My Dr says no carbonation. However some people in the group have been able to tolerate it with no problems. Lots of sugar alos. But I have never been a big soad drinker anyways, BUT what I have founf that is great is the flavored waters or now I love the K20 Water packets. They are Protein flavored waters. I do not like the bottles, they are to sweet, but the packets I love. I put them in a larger bottle of water and this then makes it not so sweet. Hope this helps.

There's a whole thread on here somewhere with a poll about what we were told about soda, whether we still drink it or not etc. You should search for that and you'll get a lot of feedback.

For me, I was told no more carbonation ever. I've stuck with that but do miss my Cokes. I have found that you can get a cola icee and it will suffice. I looked up Icees on the internet and although they do have the calories which aren't good, they are not carbonated. It's good if you're at a movie and feel like you really have to have a Coke to go with your popcorn.< /p>

Being banded at Tampa General (Dr. Murr) 3/4/08! Full of anticipation of course...but I keep focused "on the prize"...and I'm ready to roll!! Is anyone else out there on dialysis? Once the weight is off I will get a kidney transplant with a donated kidney from my sister...love that girl!! Stay focused and best of :rolleyes2:luck!!!

My nurse told me you can drink it flat... yuck or later on you can have a few sips. They just worry that any type of carbination will stretch the new stomach. I'm a coke aholic soooo... for me this will be hard!!

You Are Just Like The Rest Of Us...everyone Was Nervous And Scared..well There May Be Some That Was Not Nervous, But I Sure Was...i Was So Scared To Death...but I Would Do It Again Tomorrow...best Thing I Have Ever Done...

You'll do fine. I was banded on 1/3/2008 in Monterrey, Mexico. My surgery lasted about 45 minutes, and I was in recovery about 2 hrs. You'll be a bit sore for a week or two, but other than that you won't regret doing it. I think the worst part was the 2 week post-op liquid diet. Good Luck, and keep the faith!

Congrats to all of you that have surgery dates and are just beginning this journey to a new & better you1 The surgery is a breeze (as far as surgeries go). Just follow the bandster rules and your success will amaze you! I know...

The fear of any surgery is normal and expected. We are relying on someone else for our safety and well being. This is the reason we chose reliable surgeons and hospitals. The nurses are trained to care for you the whole time you are there. They are "angels" for the most part. They have cared for numerous patients and know almost your every need. Making the decision for yourself is the first step. Knowing that the end result will change your quality of life was my incentive. I am so happy that I trusted that instinct. I was banded in March 07' and have lost 63 lbs to date. I have a ways to go...but each day I thank God for my good health. I feel like a new person and look like one too. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Let us know how you are doing. This site is great support and full of new friends waiting to share.

Thanks for the information... the threads on soda were very interesting. Also thanks for the idea on the cola icee... I never thought of that and it sounds like it might curb the craving. I will definitely try the K20 Water but my problem with diet drinks is that they are way too sweet and I always end up back to Water (which is boring over time). When I do use the cystal light packets I usually only put a tiny amount just to add a little flavor and so I don't taste the extreme sweetness.

All toghether I know I am not going into this thinking I will abuse my new tool but I also know that I am human and have cravings and to avoid those cravings could be worse then giving in to them in moderation. It is very helpful to hear from those who have already dealt with these hurdles and to know I am not alone!!

Hiya. I have the same date as yourself. I also have the same fears but less so as I have had 2 surgeries (one general anesthetic and one spinal block). I am afraid of going to sleep and not waking up but it's such a small chance. I'd be more likely to be killed in a car accident. Or of a heart attack in 20 years!

You know you need to do this and it will be worth it. The chance of a serious complication is so small you need to weigh it up and acknowledge the risk. But also decide whether that small risk is enough to put you off.

Best of luck! I'm actually more excited than nervous. Can't wait for my new life to begin. :)

The funny thing is once I started to be happy with my decision and felt I could do it even though there may be complications you start to deal with people who think you are just being lazy!! I don't want many people to know about my surgery because even though I hate to admit this I care way too much what people think! I knew if there was any thing said negatively I would second guess my decision... and guess what it's already happening. I am dealing with people saying if you would exercise more... did you really try hard to lose weight... etc. etc. The sad thing is I don't think I ever really tried hard. Sure I would diet for a small amount of time and exercise here and there, but can I honestly say I tried real hard?? Ughhh just when I think I am at a cetain point I bring myself right back down!!

The funny thing is once I started to be happy with my decision and felt I could do it even though there may be complications you start to deal with people who think you are just being lazy!! I don't want many people to know about my surgery because even though I hate to admit this I care way too much what people think! I knew if there was any thing said negatively I would second guess my decision... and guess what it's already happening. I am dealing with people saying if you would exercise more... did you really try hard to lose weight... etc. etc. The sad thing is I don't think I ever really tried hard. Sure I would diet for a small amount of time and exercise here and there, but can I honestly say I tried real hard?? Ughhh just when I think I am at a cetain point I bring myself right back down!!

I have tried. Not as hard as I should have but a bit. If I had lots of willpower I wouldn't need the band!

I have told 2 people about going for the band. My partner (he's coming with me) and my mom because she has to mind my daughter!

I haven't told my sisters/friends or workmates. And for the very reason you described above. I've told work I'm have a hernia repair op. So when I come back the week after they won't be wondering why I'm sore.

Don't beat yourself up.

I think I slew this dragon awhile back by reminding myself that the band is not the end all and be all of losing the weight.

I still have to follow a healthy diet. I still have to exercise.

The band is a tool.

Cheating on a diet is not following the rules. I've not seen any rules that say you can't have a band.

I've decided that the mentality of having a band is "cheating" is crazy. Just because someone else can eat a truckload of whatever they desire and not gain an ounce while another person can see the truck coming down the street and gain 20lbs is not a device that can be learned. If so, we'd all be able to eat a truckload and be Twiggy. Either your body works that way or it doesn't.

I've not seen my scales stop at 150 lbs since I was 15 years old. If a band will help me get back toward that area of the scales. So be it.

There should be no shame in wanting to improve your health, extend your life, and enjoy being alive.

If someone else dosen't see that point of view, I have to wonder what their motive is for wanting you to not want to acheive your goals.

It may be harsh but others may:

- be jealous of your success

- be angry that they can't do it themselves for whatever reason

- be fearful that your personality will change after the weightloss

- be fearful they will be left behind or left out of your life afterwards

This sounds like to me it's the other people with the problem, not you.

All you can do is reassure them and then do what is best for you.

*stepping off soapbox*

P.S.

I think part of me needed to see this in writing myself :lol:

You absolutely have no need to beat your self up..God knows other do it for us. However, making this decision was avery difficult one for me and for all of us. I tried many times, no not as hard as I should have and I never exercised as much as I should have, but I looked at it as if I could have done all of that then I never would have gotten to the point I did. The band will not work alone. You will still be able to eat almost anything you want to. WE are the ones who will still need to be in control of what we eat. I guess I did it the opposite way and I told everyone I was having the surgery. They are all really helpful, there is of course those who don't think it was necessary but to be honest not the people that are freinds or care about me would ever say anything negatively to me. They are ll so happy I have taken the step and will do whatever they can to help . Most were very worried about me at the weight I was at and the health problems I was having. So are glad Ihave had it.

You will be to, I know we like to think we do not care what others think, but we do in many ways. So do not let anyone bother you and just stick to your decision of what you know was the right one for you. And Go For It!!!!!!!!!

Good luck