Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone From Hickory, NC Or The Surrouding Area??

Hi, TriAgain!!

I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks, so I didn't see your post.

Dr. Cox is really nice. I'm so glad I chose him and Catawba Valley Medical Center to do my lap band surgery.

Let me know if you want my phone number. I will be glad to e-mail it to you.

I am so glad to see a site for the Hickory area - I live in Cleveland County - have everything done but my education class and it is scheduled for June 10.

Tell me everything ! I want to know your stories and I will share mine, too.

I am 54 years old - have worked as a paramedic for the county full time for 21 years + and am retiring at the end of this month - only 3 shifts to go ! I am a LPN for a Kings Mtn Hospital ER and plan to continue working that job. I will have a small pension from the county, but will need more $$.

I have 2 daughters, the oldest is divorced and gave me a wonderful 6 year old grandson, and she has just finished nursing school.

The youngest is married, and is a paramedic and she has a beautiful 14 month old daughter. The grandbabies are my joy !

I have Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and high cholesterol. I am looking forward to taming the hunger and losing weight to become healthier and be around for my grandbabies.

It is time for ME and that is the other reason I am taking this step. I think it has been 20-25 years since I was a *normal* weight. I can lose, but then gain it and then some. This is the heaviest I have been. And I am miserable.

Now it is your turn. Please tell me about yourselves and your journey.

I am from Lenoir! I am thinking of going to Dr. Cook. My mom had the gastric bypass about 5 years ago and lost from 269 to 135. She gained about 20 pounds back. I didn't want to go to that extreme, but now considering the lap band. Scared to death though! Any suggestions? PS-I have no insurance so I am going to have to pay out of pocket. How much does this procedure generally cost? I read somewhere $18,000 and read $11,000 somewhere else.

Hi! Wow! You just have a few days until your surgery. I bet you are nervous. I know I would be. How long did you have to wait from the first time you visited the doctor about this surgery?

I have no idea the costs. That would not have been an option for me. Dr. Cook is great, very serious kind of guy (I like to joke around a lot). He seems to be a very good surgeon, great staff also. I've had 2 fills and am not restricted very much at all. I go back for my 3rd on Tues. He's pretty conservative with the fills, which is probably best. Best of luck in your journey.

Hi - sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

I went yesterday to the educational class and had all my other stuff done before I went. I had the psych evals, my doctor's letter and chart information copied. Now I am waiting for a phone call for my appt. with one of the Docs. Met Dr. Cook and he seems like a good guy.

Would like to hear more about where you are in this process. Please feel free to email me - casargirl@yahoo.com

:wub:I just went to the seminar for the Catawba Vally Medical Center in Hickory, and am very excited about getting banded. Dr. Cook spoke there, and I was really impressed with him. However, I just had 2 stents put in after a heart cath, in May at Frye reginal Medical. I too

prefer Catawba Vally over Frye. My cardiologist says I'm ok for this

surgery but need to wait 6 month. But I figure it will take me that long to get everything lined up. I'm on Medicare and have questions about being approved. Does anyone know if Medicare approves lap band? Pre-approval?

You can also e-mail me at Babslong@hotmail.com

Edited by BabsAnn

BabsAnn

Can't speak about medicare, but Dr. Cook is the bomb. I believe he is an EXCELLENT surgeon and has a wonderful staff. Between Dr. Cook, Jock, Becky and Meredith you are in good hands.

We are all wishing you the very best in your journey.

Started walking the day before my last post. 5 weeks ago I joined Planet Fitness. My goal was to be able to run a 5K by this fall. When I started I could run about 1/2 mile without stopping. For the last week I have been running the complete 5K without stopping. On my way out the door now to PF, will run my second 5K this week.

Is there a support group available in Hickory, NC? Also, if I'm being banded by a surgeon down in Charlotte, am I still allowed to attend the support group here in Hickory?

Thanks - Christina

I work in Hickory!

Hell all :) I live in Troutman and was banded by Dr. Cook at Frye on October 3rd and it was a very positive experience. I have absolutly no complaints! the entire staff went the extra mile! :thumbup: I was in Friday and out Saturday afternoon.

I was wondering if there are any support groups closer to my area (statesville/mooresville) that i would be allowed to attend. It's a 35 -40 minute drive to Hickory - so just wondering if anyone knows of anything... thanks :confused_smile:

I don't know why my signature did not show above, but I live in Mocksville and work in Hickory.

It's so good to see that another one of Dr. Robinson's (Davis Regional Medical Center, Statesville) patients are on here!

My surgery was on October 6 and I have had no complications at all. I'm loving it! And I love being 33.5 pounds down, too! :ohmy: