Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it really worth it?????

I'm really glad to read this thread. I've been in the process of trying to get the band since September and found out two days ago that my surgery will be on 22 Feb 08. As I've read the forums here I've started to wonder if I should really do the band, or go for the GB. I've got to do something before my health gets REALLY bad and I'm more comfortable with the risks associated with the band as opposed to GB, but after reading lots of posts, I've wondered "does it really work?" It's good to read about those out there who are really happy with the band, thanks for sharing!

I am six days post band and I agree with everyone who posted. I felt guilty I was taking money we could use for the entire family and using it for myself. My husband said forget that...that is what we worked for and if it makes you life better DO IT!!. I did and I don't feel guilty anymore. One fear down.

I felt what if I die on the operating table. Dr. Garth Davis and his nurse and the people at the hospital said I would be fine.l My family felt assured I would be fine and I was. I cried when they put my IV in. I was scared. Girl that gaved me a shot and honestly five second later I was sleeping GOOD.

I was sore but never have really hurt yet, except for a couple of hours after surgery, just sore. I am no wonder woman, I am really a baby when it comes to pain but I didn't even have the use the liquid Tylonol I bought let alone the liquid Vicodin. I have been passing gas like crazy but that's ok I just do as many as I can and as big as I can. I kept waititng on the infamous shoulder pain. It came on day five. Ouch. Every now and then I would just go Ouch or ow ow ow. I had it about five times. None today - day six.

I am weak today - not getting enough Protein I think and maybe my blood pressure med needs to be adjusted. I hope my Dr. tells me I can have mushy tonight. I am planning on going back to work tomorrow. It will be one week post surgery.

Big Medicine stared last night on Discovery and I can tell you I am so blessed Dr. Garth Davis did my surgery. I see him today at 4:30 and will let ya'll know what he says about me six days out. I need him to pat me on the back for my confidence. My husband tells me how proud he is of me for taking this step. It is a life change and most everyone that has posted gave it deep thought. Honestly the decision would have seen somewhat easier if my insurances had covered it. Both have exclusions for weight loss surgery (but we will be glad to cover your heart attack or stroke). Total BS but that's another story.

Get your surgery and just worry a little. Rest after surgery.

In the begining I was feeling guilty too about ALL the money we were spending on JUST me for this thing... But then I remembered I was doing it for my family too, so I can be healthy and around along time with them. And also my husband has a brand new pool table we bought6 1 year ago when we bought our new house and it takes up a whole room, does he ever use it NOPE, and then theres the spa sitting in the back yard, does he ever use that, Nope.. so I don't feel guilty about 1 penny I have spend on this!!!!! WOHOOOOO use my band every day!!!!:clap2::clap2:

Keep in mind that some of the "problems" you list are the results of the band doing what it is supposed to do--stopping us from overeating. The stuck feeling, the pbing, are like aversion therapy--they feel bad, so you start associating unpleasantness rather than pleasure with overeating and break yourself of the habit. The chance of death I consider a lot lower than the chance of dying early from some obesity-related disorder.

I was banded in October and started my pre-op diet in early August. I am down about 45 lb since then. I have no doubt that no matter how hard I tried, I would be as heavy or heavier now than I was in August if not for this surgery. I feel good about myself and proud of my weight loss. I do pb occasionally (it isn't really the same as throwing up, since nothing is digested and mixed with stomach secretions yet) and the stuck feeling hurts. But that is my assurance that the band is working and stopping me from stuffing my face with more food than I need. So yes, I am very glad I did this!

When most banders are having a "bad" day, say right after a fill and are tight and getting stuck, we tend to come on and complain and moan looking for sympathy, so you tend to notice posts about the problem days.

Hey, the pre-banding "problem" days were "I have nothing to wear", "I'm too fat to walk", my BP is high etc.

We had bad days previous to band surgery, now the bad days are just about a different issue.

There are plenty of good days and many people post about them, if you look. How about all the people that post the before and after photos, or post that they hit "onederland" or post they've lost 50 or 100 or even 180 pounds!

There are successes and failures and some of the failure is fate, a slipped band or erosion, and some is the person not using the band as it was intended and they fail at weight loss.

I have not been below 200 pounds for over 10 years despite many attempts and yet at five weeks post op, I am there.

I am into the smallest size clothes I had hiding in the back of my closet for years and they are getting too big!

SO YEAH, IT'S BEEN WORTH IT! SELF PAY AND ALL!

Dear AMS:

I got banded yesterday, So I cannot really testify to the actual weight loss part of the band, but i will say that I was pretty terrified of not waking up and of the actual surgery. I am in a significant amount of pain since it has only been a day since my surgery, but also, every time i think about the surgery, i am SO happy that its finally done. Its over with, and now comes the healing and weight loss.

A little over 7 months for me and I am down 90+ lbs. I can walk, I can breathe, I can sleep without machinery, my BP is down, and I look 10 years younger and feel about 25 years younger!!!! I eat things I LOVE, and a little bit is more than enough, because I feel SATISFIED!

I worried about all the same things you have listed, but, I realized that I had already put myself in such severe jeopardy, that taking this risk would likely actually REDUCE my risk for health problems in the long run...and it has!

Yes it is so worth it!! I was so relaxed the day of the surgery!! I was so excited. I have lost 21 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks!! that's crazy!! I feel so much better and you can tell I have lost the weight too!! I have more energy, happiness, and zest for life!! I can't wait to see what I am gonna look like in several more months!! I hope you decide to continue with this journey because its so empowering and life changeing! If you need to talk to anyone about it, I am so here!!

Thanks to each of you who responded! This is such a scary/life changing decision and it really does help to have insight/support from others. I am going to continue with my plans to have this procedure done and when I get scared I will reread these responses!

I will continue to post to this site and let you know how it goes! Thanks again

Thank you for all the information in this thread. It really helps seeing the positive impact the band has on your lives. I'm still trying to make the decision myself.

You don't even need to ask me--the answer is a resounding "YES!"

I feel more like a real person than I have in years, even with just the loss of 32 pounds, I am a different person: lots more confidence and I just feel terrific!

Like Jelbel, I am three months and two fills out--and have never had an issue with sliming, pbing, or throwing up because I follow the rules: eat slowly and chew, chew, chew.

You really ought to try it--you will NOT regret it! :rolleyes:

I am 2 months post -op and have never thrown up,I had two fills and I'm doing great!

If the food feels stuck, get up and walk around or chew on papaya enzyme pills. They taste good too.

What are the PAPAYA ENZYME pills FOR? and tell me what they provide? dlyrical

YES !!!!

I feel so much better, I have so much more energy.

The band is a tool that help make the change to a healthy eating program possible and to be able to lose weight so that I can exercise.

I call my band my interior motivator - it helps me remember why i chose such a drastic surgery to help me get the weight off.

I have pb'd a couple of times - but thats cuz i ate too fast or didn't chew.

Other than that no problems - for which I thank God..

In everything you do there are risk - and I felt that this risk was worth it cuz I was a heart attack waiting to happen - I want to live for a few more year with some quality of life - which i now have.

you say you have lost 30 lbs since the end of April, is 5 lbs a month about what people lose a month?

Kimmy who are you speaking to ??

1 to 2 lbs a week is what is expected with the band - so that can be 5 to 10 lbs a month - One month you might lose 8 then the next 10 - I never had a monthly goal - just as long as each week was a loss I was happy - i got to goal 1 yr 1 week out 100 lbs gone - so that averaged 8.33 lbs a month..

hi, i loved your remarks, it got me so excited. i am 3 weeks out from surgery and so nervous. can you tell me more about how long you took off work. what do you eat the first couple of weeks? how much weight you had to lose?

Thanks so much for your input