Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband And Pcos

I was banded on the 10/8/2007 with a 2ml in the band and got my first fill on the 1/8/2008, total 4 ml.

I weighted round about 100 kilos, 220 (lbs) and have lost about 6kilos to date. I eat a lot less than what I used to and do try to eat healthily but I'm always bloated. I don't have time to exercise regularly because I work long hours. I know it's no excuse but I just don't have the energy.

I've had PCOS since I was 27 and put on weight steadily at a couple of kilos per year. I hadn't heard of insulin resistancy until 2003 when I was doing some searching on the net. I followed it up with a endocrinologist and was put on metaforin which helped me loss about 5-6 kilos. I put the weight back on when I stopped the medication because I was suffering severe hair loss.

I'm desperate because I'm not loosing. I was scheduled for another fill a couple of weeks ago when I was home, but had a silly car accident and missed my appointment. I work abroad and had to get back before I could reschedule another appointment.

I'm going to see my endocrinologist again this week. I was wondering if going back on metformine would help. I also have a suspision that I might have hypothyroidism since all my sisters have thyroid problems.

I know 100 kilos isn't that much and there's people with many more problems than I have, but I'm so depressed and feel that I'm been punished for been selfish and vain. It's just a vicious circle. I wish I could wake up one day and not think about my weight.

Sorry about my ramble, if there's someone out there with similar experience, I'd love to hear from them.

I have PCOS and was banded in 11/04. I've had a very difficult time losing any weight. I've also had a band slip and my fill taken out twice - so it's not only PCOS related complications.

hi All

i was banded on the 29th june 2007 abd my weight has come to a grinding halt, how ever i may be a little different to you all as i no longer have any ovaries, and uterus, I had surgery 2 years ago to remove one ovary that had a 12 cm by 12 cm cyst on it and the ovary and my uterus as it was fused to my bowel, I too was on metformin to help with weight loss, then i had my lap band surgery and the lap band surgeon gave me a picture of my other ovary with a huge cyst on it as well, so 2 months after lap band i had more surgery, the cyst larger than the first one so hence the other ovary could not be saved either, i now have no ovaries or uterus and have to be on HRt for 20 years at least, and still need to in a few months time have a bowel test (colonoscopy to check my bowel health,)

My question for you all is since you have has your lap band surgery do you still take metformin??? I thought we were unable to still take it ??? due to the pill getting stuck?

oh i have two wonderful children who asre 7 and 9 i am very lucky

Please help ?

Ange New Zealand :blushing:

Ange,

When I realised I was loosing at a very slow rate, I discussed this with my doc. He said that I could take it for a while. So I guess it can be taken. Ask your doc to be on the safe side.

Rg

Arsinoe

My question for you all is since you have has your lap band surgery do you still take metformin??? I thought we were unable to still take it ??? due to the pill getting stuck?

I actually did NOT take metformin before I had lap-band surgery. I went to an endocrinologist back in November and she put me on Actos Metformin then. I cut my pill into 3 pieces and take it at night. By night time, my band has loosened up quite a bit and I haven't had any trouble taking it if I cut it up. You need to make sure that you don't get the time-released capsules if you are going to cut them up. I do think the metformin has helped me with the weight loss. Good luck to you.

Kissmygrits that is so awesome about ur ovaries being cleared up. I hope when I get my band that it does the same to me. I need them cysts off so I can get normal periods. Havent heard from you in awhile how are things going..is this the latest of ur lbs lost so far? IM me when you can

For the first time in my life I have regular periods!! It is weird and I have to admit that I don't think I like it.... but I guess its part of being a woman!

For some reason my acne has really flared up since I started to lose weight. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have PCOS too. I was banded on January 28th of this year and have lost 93 lbs...yea it's possible to lose with the band if you have PCOS

Hi all! I am new here and not yet banded. Just attended my first seminar on Saturday, although doing research for several months now.

I am also a PCOS sufferer, although my uterus was removed 2 years ago. I still have the dreaded ovaries and their cystic friends. Doc thought I was too young to be on HMR for the rest of my life, so he left them.

I still have weight gain and failed weight loss, the excess hair, mood swings (think I have PMS worse now than I did before!) and the whole list of effects.

SO - I am so very happy to see you here discussing PCOS. I am looking forward to losing the weight, losing the effects of PCOS and starting to enjoy my life again!

I'm so excited to read all of these posts! At first I saw some that were discouraging, but overall, I feel much more positive!!!

I was diagnosed with PCOS after I got married and went off the pill. After many many neg. pregnancy tests, my gyn did some tests and that is when we found out I had PCOS. Honestly, I was thrilled. I know - WHAT??? I had been putting on weight since I was 27 and could not for the life of me figure out why when I was doing the same things I always had. I wasn't crazy! I had done the low carb diets (lost almost nothing on Atkins, South Beach, etc.) the only time I lost weight was when I was pregnant (thanks to Clomid). The babies (yep- twins) took all the calories and then I also got gestational diabetes so I was extremely careful with eating. Unfortunately, once they were born, I gained it all back and then some. My OB was the one to suggest the Lap Band. I stopped taking my Metformin after my 1st trimester but started again when the babies were born. The side affects were just too much esp. when I had to take care of 2 infants and I stopped again. I've been on a level weight all this time but it's still so much more than I can physically or mentally bear anymore.

I am so happy to hear all the successes you fellow PCOS-ters are having. My surgeon does know I have it and I'll discuss it again with him to see how many others he's worked with. I'm scheduled right now for June 9th and can't wait!

How many of you have noticed that besides regular periods, your facial hair has lessened? I don't want to have to pay for Vaniqua on top of everything else (laser didn't remove all the blond hair). Did you notice if your depression also lessened? I know I'm depressed because of the weight, but I know that PCOS can also have a big impact on it.

Thanks!!!

I love the Soulcysters website too!

I'm sorry to hear that banding has not helped some folks who have PCOS. I just want to share my experience to let people know that for some unknown reason and for some people, banding can help your PCOS. I have (will always have) PCOS and that was one of my main reasons for getting banded. I could never lose weight -even with low carb dieting and exercise and I was not ovulating (really not a good situation for someone who wanted to have a baby some day). I wasn't expecting much from the Band- I felt that my PCOS and messed-up hormones would slow my weight loss, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I have lost weight MUCH faster than even my doctor expected- and it is fat, not muscle.

I had an ultrasound a few months after surgery and I no longer have cysts on my ovaries, my PCOS acne went away, my hair stopped falling out, my hormones went back to normal. I never really believed that the weightloss would truly help my PCOS but it has. I believe that if I were trying to conceive right now (which I'm not), I probably wouldn't have a hard time. This improvement was worth the surgery to me. If nothing else got better, getting my hormones and reproductive system in order again is totally worth getting on the surgery table A THOUSAND TIMES. Weightloss and looking better is just icing on the low carb cake!:cool2:

It's important to note that PCOS does not get cured. It is an underlying metabolic condition that can only be treated. So, when I need a little extra motivation to work out or skip the 2nd cookie- I think about how much better my ovaries feel now that they are NOT covered with cysts.

My advice is get back on the pill for the first 6-9 months after surgery-- this will give your ovaries some rest and a chance to heal those old cysts while you are losing weight. The pill will also help your hormones get back in line.

Edited by Kissmygrits