Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OOH! A new forum!

Bandit.1, Yes, you do need to go back to liquids for a couple of days and if you keep throwing up you may need to be on liquids longer. The experience I have had is the more fills I got the longer I would need to be on liquids after each fill. Unfortunately, I do not lose weight unless my band is very tight so I am much more prone to puke than I used to be. I stick to smushier food or Soup at work so I do not have to worry about it. I have also found that I have these random "bad days" when nothing seems to go down right. On the plus side I have lost weight and have had to but new pants and that makes up for any hardships!

Dang Kat, I just read your thread. Sorry you went through all of that! At least it seems to be going as good as it could have gone! I watched my my go through the hell of cancer and it isn't pretty! I glad you are not back on that merry-go-round and I agree with you "life is good!"

kat: I am with you. Where is that great NM weather. It is freezing today. Who did your surgery? Dr. Eberhart took out my "orange" a few years ago. Know how you feel. But lost all my thyroid. Thats okay though since thats all I lost. Could have been worse. So when was this? I didn't see this post til the latest reference and had to go back to find it? Glad you are doing better now.

I had surgery the end of November---also by Eberhart.

He worked long and hard to save the left lobe, due to some other tumor activity I have going on that he is monitoring, he said he would like to see some of the thyroid stay. It is his own theory that the thyroid is similar to tonsils, in that it filters out many things---so he would prefer some of it remain in my case. I currently have tumor growth in my mastoid that he is monitoring, and in my fibula, that Dr. Lucas is monitoring. When I go see one or the other, they run back and forth behind the offices, comparing scans!!! But for now all is good.

I know I want warm weather! Rick is off, and we wanted to go riding....but I don't think so!!!

Kat

We have snow today what I hate most about it is that we have a satilite dish for internet and the snow knocks us out. I live right on the mountain where the big curve is by the rocking chair place. I think we always have more snow than the windber/ richland area.

I did not go to the support group meeting I thought about it but wasnt sure if i had to tell them I was coming and i waited to long to call so I didn't go. I only have went to the one in september when dr vizza was the speaker. Do you enjoy them?

I went to my 5th dr appt today only one more to go then its the waiting game to see if i'm even approved for surgery. I really hate not knowing. I guess in a way I might be relieved if im not approved this is so scary for me. I have lost 30 pounds on my own since this summer but I know diets really dont work so I need a fix so I don't have to worry about gaining it back. I think I'm just a mess and don't know what I want.

crazy man. I am freezing. I went to work but feel terrible today. I had my surgery in 2002 when one tumor became two. But no fun going back and forth between drs. Are you prone to tumors because I know they tell me I am since I have had several now in different places throughout my body. Luckily, or by the grace of God anyway, I haven't had any since 2002. All were before that time. Tell Rick its to cold. Its much nicer inside this winter!

Kat - after thinking about it, I really don't know where NM is - time to get out the atlas. I mean I have a general idea and if you gave me a puzzle of the states I could figure it out, but as for the climate and stuff - I'm clueless.

Scappy-friend - I know right where the rocking chair place is. We are just on the other side of the mountain. I'm at Reels Corner, up from where the ship hotel had been on 30. Your side of the mountain is just as bad as this side. My friend Charlie lives down past Chestnut ridge school. Its funny how 5 miles can make that much of a difference in the weather. I have Comcast internet but today its the slowest its ever been. When I type its about 10 seconds behind me - crazy.

As for support group - I love it. I need support. I'm not a do it on your own kinda girl. Which is why LBT is a lifeline for me. I remember the meeting and you. I was feeling depressed that night. I'm happy to say I feel much better about myself now. I've only lost about 5 more pounds but I went down a size and I'm in a 10. I went to the ps in Greensburg, he wouldn't even talk about a pannectomy (where they cut the flap of skin off) he wanted to do a tt and it was $10,000 - er... waay too much money for me. In fact if the insurance won't pay for the pannectomy I won't be getting any thing done. But still he was too high, my sister had a tt in Mpls for $6000 - $4000 is a big difference.

Waiting for the insurance was the hardest thing! I finally called them after a couple weeks and that very same day I called they called Dr. Marley and approved me. I had my last appt of the 6 month appts on Oct 11, got approved on Nov 11 and had my surgery Dec 11. But it was the Oct to Nov that drug on forever.

Ok - sorry ladies I know I get long - you'd think I was writing a book!

Hi everyone, my name is Cherie, I am 43 and new to this....I was just approved for surgery pending 10 more lbs. I have to lose first. I am having such a hard time losing that, and it is very frustrating....any suggestions anyone to take that last 10 lbs off, in less than a month, my surgery is pending on Feb. 25th. Looking forward to conversing with you all more. thanks

Hi Cherie, welcome to LBT---and our Fabulous Forties crew!

My suggestion, from experience personally would be to hit the induction phase of Atkins hot and heavy!!! HIGH Protein, and extremely low carbs. Lots of meat, cheese, and eggs. With the only additions being fresh veggies, and avoiding corn, peas, and of course the carb filled potatoes.

It will drop weight quickly, it will also help reduce the fat on and around the liver, making your surgery easier. It was in fact the diet given to me as a pre op diet.

And add to that steady...but fairly gentle at this time to lose the weight....exercise. Lots of walking for instance. Move as much of the time as possible---even if it is simple leg lifts while we sit at our computers!!!

I did this many times, it always worked. Unfortunately for me, I could never stick with it past the first 50 pounds or so! And when the weight come back, it come back with a vengeance!! But since you will be having surgery by that time you should be good to go!!

Good Luck!

Kat

Hi Cherie! My doc put me on a liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-surgery and I lost about 8 lbs. It was liquids (protein shakes) and one 300-400 calories frozen dinner. He does it to everyone to shrink the liver, but it works.

Hello, Hello, Hello everyone! I'm Marsha , 44 years old aiming to be 45 and fine by my birthday, hee hee!!! I've been married 24 years, have a 28 yr old daughter (I inherited with the marriage), 23 year old daughter, 17 year old Son and 3 year old granddaughter........love them all something awful!! We're very close so much so that my oldest built a house right next door to us. I'm loving this lifestyle change I've made and learning to enjoy a more active lifestyle. Good to meet you all and love this thread!

Hi everyone, my name is Cherie, I am 43 and new to this....I was just approved for surgery pending 10 more lbs. I have to lose first. I am having such a hard time losing that, and it is very frustrating....any suggestions anyone to take that last 10 lbs off, in less than a month, my surgery is pending on Feb. 25th. Looking forward to conversing with you all more. thanks

I did really well on metifast. It helped get my mind ready for the after surgery party. and now when I need to go on liquids, I pull out the Soup and add Water, real easy to do at work. Some people think it tastes bad but I didnt mind. I figured THIS IS IT! and sucked it up

hang in there you'll get there!

best wishes.

Guest Band4EJ

Hi Cherie and Marsha!

I know you can lose the last 10 pounds Cherie! The Atkins suggestion sound like a good idea. Actually so does the liquid diet, but it is harder to stick to. I lost 12 pounds in 14 days with the presurgery liquid diet (broth and Jello mostly). Anyway...good luck, everybody here is pulling for you!

Bandit.1, Yes, you do need to go back to liquids for a couple of days and if you keep throwing up you may need to be on liquids longer. The experience I have had is the more fills I got the longer I would need to be on liquids after each fill. Unfortunately, I do not lose weight unless my band is very tight so I am much more prone to puke than I used to be. I stick to smushier food or Soup at work so I do not have to worry about it. I have also found that I have these random "bad days" when nothing seems to go down right. On the plus side I have lost weight and have had to but new pants and that makes up for any hardships!

thanks. I only did it the one time.that was enough, all is well now. I had a tender tummy for a couple days, now I put my chicken inside my salad so it goes down better and doesnt get stuck. so far so good. I would die if it happend at work so I think i will also stick to safe food at work. Im still not extreamly tight, but still losing wt so I'm not going to get a fill until I feel hungry more.

best wishes