Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OOH! A new forum!

So glad your dad is doing better Kat, hope the speech prob is temporary and glad we are reconnecting. Can't believe we did it this way and yes it is hard to believe we have our 30th year class reunion this year! i am also having a hard time believing I will be 48 next week but thats just a little denial.

I said I wanted a date with the surgeon for my bd and I got my wish - its set for the 24th. I hope your dh and son come around to support you Joy. I have been married 27 years and luckily my dh supports my surgery. Joy, Until he comes around keep coming back here for reassurance. Good luck with your approval.

Once again, I have been telling everyone I am 47. My husband reminded me I am 46. Don't you love how the 40's are so less, well, self-conscious? I have to say I come from such different motives on losing weight than I would have had I banded in my younger years. Now it is more about being able to carry in groceries without ADVIL than it is having some stranger think I am pretty. So much freedom in that! (tho I still love looking at my body get smaller, by golly).

All in All, I am loving getting older - my focus seems less on "what do I need and how do I look", and more about, "what do you need and How can I help?" Feels nice. I was getting very sick of ME! LOL.

How are you liking being older? Would you go back to being in your 20's? Has what is important to you changed?

Once again, I have been telling everyone I am 47. My husband reminded me I am 46. Don't you love how the 40's are so less, well, self-conscious? I have to say I come from such different motives on losing weight than I would have had I banded in my younger years. Now it is more about being able to carry in groceries without ADVIL than it is having some stranger think I am pretty. So much freedom in that! (tho I still love looking at my body get smaller, by golly).

All in All, I am loving getting older - my focus seems less on "what do I need and how do I look", and more about, "what do you need and How can I help?" Feels nice. I was getting very sick of ME! LOL.

How are you liking being older? Would you go back to being in your 20's? Has what is important to you changed?

I would not want to go back to my 20's for anything!! Always wanting to fit in, but not fitting in anything!! I was so self-conscious in those days, wanted everyone's approval. I am not quite as hard on myself as I was back then, things I thought mattered then just don't seem as important. I don't mind getting older, but I do mind getting Fatter!! just hope the approval comes soon for the lapband...

amen to that joy. I don't want to go back to the 20's. They were ok in some respects but they are gone and thats ok. 40's are good and I am just wanting approval to come fast too. Hang in there joy-it will come.

Howdy ya'll,my name is Laurinda and I am from Florida. I am 40 years old <shivers> and I have been married for 18 years. I have two children, My son will be 18 this month <tears> and my daughter 15. I get my band Wed. and am excited and nervous.

hi laurinda. Was it you that signed in and out of the chat quickly tonight? if so, stick around, i'd be happy to chat awhile. My son turned 18 in Dec - the baby that is. Congrats on getting your band Wed. Keep us posted.

I'm 45, live in south mississippi, married 27 years, 3 kids and have surgery on the 25th (13 days!)

I start the pre-op diet on Wednesday and just don't know if I can do it. I'm actually having nightmares about it! I'm so scared about every part of this procedure but at the same time think this is my best chance of losing weight and becoming a contributing member of society again.

Sorry to be such a downer...i'm just so nervous!!!!

J

Hi Everybody ~

I am Lynn and I had my surgery one-year ago yesterday, on January 12th, 2007. I have lost 42 pounds which my doctor is very pleased with, but I would like to lose 15-20 more, so my plan is to bump up the exercise. He keeps telling me that when you have less to lose it comes off slower, but this has felt like watching paint dry . . .

I live in the Houston area and was banded by Dr. Spivak in Houston. I can't say enough good things about him. I would highly recommend him to anyone (friends - family, etc.) who were considering the procedure.

I have 2.5 ccs in my 4.0 cc band and have been trying to decide if I am a little too tight and need to have a tiny bit removed. I have an appointment to do that on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll know for sure what I want/need to do by then.

My restriction has been 'finicky' these past few days and I need to be able to get a little food down, preferably before 9PM at night! I am hoping things will level-out and take care of themself with no intervention by me . . . we'll see I guess.

I too am glad to find this group - there is great support on this board.

Good night ~

hello ladies!

I have to agree, I love my forties. My 30's is when I got fat.

I'm dealing with menopause now - its driving me crazy. Not to the point of needing drugs but I just want it all to be over! Some times I won't have a period for 2 months and then it hits me full force, then I might get it every 20 days for a few months and then I'll have a month or 2 of 28 days and then its months again til it comes around. Just about the time I have my hopes up here comes Aunt Flo again. I think I'm over the worse part of the hot flashes but they rear their ugly head every now and then. Are any of you with me on this? Oh and ms band and aunt flo do NOT get along at all. Seems like that first day is spent running to the bathroom, for one or the other.

Scrappy-friend - what part of PA?

I also have to agree with the belly fat - or excess skin - dang it anyway! What I'd give to have that sweet elastic skin of my 20's again! I go for consult with ps the end of this month. I really want to lose 10 lbs before then but just haven't been working at it as much as I should. I don't have the money for a tt but I'm hoping the insurance will pay for the skin removal. I have decided at this point of my life I would be thrilled just to have that off. They say if its medically necessary, so I'm hoping that the fact that I can pick the bad boy up and move him to a different area might tell them something. With him gone I think I could be a comfortable 8. I can deal with that. :smile:

Have a good day girlfriends.

I'm 45, live in south mississippi, married 27 years, 3 kids and have surgery on the 25th (13 days!)

I start the pre-op diet on Wednesday and just don't know if I can do it. I'm actually having nightmares about it! I'm so scared about every part of this procedure but at the same time think this is my best chance of losing weight and becoming a contributing member of society again.

Sorry to be such a downer...i'm just so nervous!!!!

J

I think that most of us went though with doubts about having surgery. I almost cx mine I was soo scared. But trust me, it can be the best thing you do for YOURSELF. I love not have to hear my knees snap/crackle/pop everytime I walk up the stairs. I love that I don't have to take diabetic meds anymore. My back doesn't hurt by the middle of the day. I have even come to love walking my mile every morning, and I hated to exercise.

I have to agree, I would not want to go back to my 20's in general. I made some really bad choices in my 20's! But there are times I would love to go back and enjoy certain aspects more---more quality time with loved ones lost since then---that type of thing. But have to live through all the other stuff again----nope!!!

40's have been very freeing (not even sure that is a word!) I take me as I am, and expect others to do the same. I have come to terms with the fact that not everyone will like me, nor will I like everyone! It is not an issue anymore, we can all co exist with it!

The best part of my 40's is the Granny thing! I thought there was no way I would ever love anyone or anything like I did my kids, and my DH----and then come grandbabies!!!

Lack of stress ranks right up there with me in my 40's though! Kids, money, work....all the things that used to cause the most stress----have eased! Kids are all married and in their own homes, and doing well, money is less of an issue----the house is paid off and college is behind us! And the one left going is paying her own way!! And I have quit working. I sold my daycare several years ago. Grandkids you get to send home!

Steph---sorry menopause is giving you such grief. I had a hysterectomy following a cancer Dx several years ago....that wasn't easy either--but I survived it---I WON!!!

Nope not willing to go back---I would however not mind looking like I did in my 20's----as has been pointed out----I miss the skin! I too got fat in my 30's.

Oh well, not worth going back for! Nope, nuh-uh, noway, nohow!!!

Kat

HEY kARRI68 , WHERE ARE YOU IN ILLINOIS ? I LIVE IN SALEM AND WORK IN CENTRALIA. ABOUT AN HOUR AND HALF FROM ST. LOUIS , MO. THAT'S WHERE I HAD MY SURGERY AND GO FOR FILLS.

LAURINDA - GOOD LUCK ON WEDNESDAY ! WE'LL BE THINGKING OF YOU AND WISH YOU A SPEEDY RECOVERY.:) LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES. SOON YOU'LL BE ON THE LOSING END OF THE BAND ALSO !:eek:

I AM SOOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO ONEDERLAND ! I HAVEN'T BEEN THERE SINCE COLLEGE. NOT SURE WHAT I'LL DO WITH ALL OF MY SAGGYNESS YET. MY DH SAYS HE DOESN'T CARE , BUT I'M GETTING SO WRINKLY !:mad:

GOTTA GO , HAVE A GREAT EVENING .

Hey Mommi-Hammi. I used Dr. Spivak in Houston too. I love him as well and would recommend him! I have to agree with most of you that say you love your 40's. I am more focused on me. I still have young kids since I started later but I have come to the age where I just don't have to say yes to everything people want me to do and I do not let people guilt me into doing what is expected of me. I was too much of a people pleaser in my 20's and now I look back and wonder why we do those things when we are young. I think getting the band was part of me taking care of myself. I truely was for me and no one else and it was absolutely the right decision for me. I feel so much better about myself! Eventhough, I am still overweight I am more kind in my judgements of myself.