Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointing Post-Op appt....

I went today for my first appt. since surgery. I am 3 weeks out. (they couldn't get me in sooner due to Holiday's)

Doc came in... asked couple of questions... looked very quickly at incisions.... and said come back in 4 weeks to talk about a fill.

What the hell???? I thought 6 weeks was the typical first??? When I see him again, it will be 2 months after surgery!!!

The worst part is,,,, I KNOW I don't have any restriction because I have been eating just fine. Too fine.

I think I will call back tomorrow and try to reschedule sooner... this really has me very bummed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:think

Have You Been Losing Weight? Maybe Since Your Losing Steadily He Dont Wanna Fill You Right Away?

Wowwwww... looks like you've been doing a great job losing!! Congrats!!

Yes... I have lost about 18lbs.... but... that is due to my liquid starvation. Has nothing to do with band. I've cheated, I admit, and have felt no tightness or desire to stop eating.

The whole point of the band is to make a small stomach that holds less, and right now, I do not have one of those!!! And I want it!!!

I realize that I may be sounding impatient, but, this is the whole reason we put ourselves through this, isn't it?????

I know just how you feel. I lost really well on the pre-op diet but have only managed a pound or two since, yet I only really cheated on Xmas Day (not by a lot) and New Year's Eve (had a couple of drinks but didn't eat over the limit). I'm starting to eye off that "Slow Losers Unite" thread on the main pages :confused:

I've just about finished with the mushie stage now (as per instructions), and have found that now that I've moved onto more solid food, I am feeling some level of restriction. Not as much as I would expect after a fill, but a small bowl of solid food will fill me up completely and I am no where near as hungry as I was on the liquids and mushies.

Still, in the 25 days or so since the op (10th Dec), I have gone over 800 calories a day only twice and then only to 1500 a day. I don't know what more restriction will do for me, as I am staying in the boundaries using will power alone so far (albeit easier lately). I spent the first 10 days after the op on around 3-400 calories a day and STILL didn't lose :) Getting restriction might make it easier to stick to the diet, but if you can't lose on under 800 cal for a month, what the heck's going on??

I'm due for my first fill on Jan 15 and if nothing has changed by then, I'm going to make an appointment with the dietician and see if she/he can suggest what is going on.

PS: Yes, I am exercising more now - not a lot but decidedly more than previously.

NOT RUNNING TO GET A FILL (I cant get a fill until week 6)

my question is why the rush? you should be applauding yourself for your great weight loss. whats wrong with eating and being hungry? is'nt that normal? Do we have to eliminate all sighs of hunger

I guess at this time (day 9) I still dont have that much of a appetite. Please dont take me wrong, my hubby is cooking some good mexican food, it smells delicious and I have poked a finger in it just for the taste.

I started my liquid Proteins today, cream Soup, cream of wheat, Protein Drinks, I plan to take it slow.

I was already suppose to start my mushie phase, but cant do it, maybe I'm scared, having real food in me might open the gates of hell. I dont know what tomorrow will bring. taking it day by day

I guess I feel as if I could do liquid dieting and low calories without surgery. I went for the "surgery" so I would have an extra something to stop my amazing hunger, which is in effect at all times!!!!!

I am addicted to food, and, if I can put it in, I probably will!!!

So.... I want the band to do its job! I need a fill because right now the band is not working for me personally.

I have been doing great with excersise. But again, things I could have done w/o the band.

I guess I feel as if I could do liquid dieting and low calories without surgery. I went for the "surgery" so I would have an extra something to stop my amazing hunger, which is in effect at all times!!!!!

I am addicted to food, and, if I can put it in, I probably will!!!

So.... I want the band to do its job! I need a fill because right now the band is not working for me personally.

I have been doing great with excersise. But again, things I could have done w/o the band.

You just need to relax and be sure you are getting Protein in. You were banded 3 weeks after me and you have lost about the same amount in that time. You're doing great. Hang in and practice more willpower for the next few weeks. You can do it. Even if you get a fill, it might not do anything for you and they won;t want to fill too much at one time. This is a 10 steps forward, five steps back, process.

Be sure to get your Protein in (add one Isopure clear a day) to get 40 grams and continue to monitor your calories. I believe willpower is necessary for a long time with the band process and it's ability to help us from overeating will come later.

I feel the same way, though. I am anxious to get the weight off, but the band is NOT gastric bypass, we do not drop 10-15 pounds in one month like they do, but in the long term, weight loss after several years tends to be similar for both groups.

We both have to hang in!

I saw the doctor one week post op and he had me schedule an appointment for 4 weeks later which is next Friday, Jan 11. He said at that time we would discuss if a fill was needed. It depended on whether I was losing weight or was hungry. I know he has a busy schedule and if he schedules me for a fill with will be 2 to 4 weeks later. I was discouraged in that I went a week without losing anything but this morning the scall moved again. I have been averaging around 1000 calories and don't feel deprived at all. I ate too much at lunch yesterday but other than that I do try to stay reasonable.

Hi all,

I can sympathize with you slow losers. I had was banded on December 17th and have only lost 12.2 pounds total. 8 of those I lost in the pre-surgery liquid diet. I feel absolutely no restriction, however I went on the 3rd for my post op visit and the doctor said that is normal. I get the first fill on the 24th - hopefully then I will feel like I spent $17,000. for a good reason!! I am very frustrated because I too, am addicted to food or I wouldn't be this way in the first place!! I'm trying to be patient but I guess I just thought after the surgery I wouldn't be able to eat as much!! Oh well!!

Good luck to all.

weight.png

I'm so glad I checked in today. I could have written the previous posts word for word. I was just thinking about starting a 'how much have you lost?' thread because I until yesterday I thought I was doing fine. I went for my post op and got a 'spanking' from the nurse about my ONLY 11 lb weight loss since my surgery. Gee, after the first week my appetite came roaring back and I am soooo hungry. Right after surgery I lost like 1 1/2 lbs a day , then when I started to eat I promptly gained 3. Now, I'm supposed to be on pureed foods but, after 3 days of that, yuck, I have just been eating really soft well cooked meats with a little broth, cooked veggies and some fruits. I feel full, then an hour later I am STARVED. yes,I'm drinking my 3 Protein Drinks etc etc.

I agree with the sentiment, I got the band so my freaking hu-mongo appetite would go away. I put up with being starved during the pre-op! My fill isn't until January 23rd and I'm told to hurry up and lose some weight so the doc doesn't have to use the fluoroscope (sp?) to find my port after the first time.

So, the point of this ramble is that I really didn't expect to lose 30 lbs before my fill, but SOME( I was happy with 11!), then I go to the doc and get taken to task because I haven't lost ENOUGH. :) Never mind there wasn't any expectations communicated to me about what I should lose by my 2-3 week post op appt. Sorry, just had to rant. I'm doing the best I can and to my knowledge this isn't a race. Maybe I need to revisit the 'letters you wish you could write thread...':rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

sorry you had that happen 100....in my post op visit .....was 2 weeks after surgery i'd lost 9lbs.... the dr said nothing about it but good job ..ur losing...he also told me...now that you'll move on to solid foods..dont expect much weight loss till you begin getting your' fills... i would have been disappointed if that was told to me...hell put the port where you can hit it the first time i'd have said ..YOU ARE THE DOCTOR! i think some ppl arent as sensitive as they should be... 11lbs!! is awsome...i know i for one could gain 11lbs in 2 weeks ..so losing it is wonderful....gl ...i'd voice ur concerns when you go back....you are paying for a service!!! tc

i also understand ppl saying the band is a tool...yes it is...however...i purchased this tool to help me control my appetite and the amount of food i can eat... NOT TO BE ON A DIET OR COUNT CALORIES...if i could do that i would be thin... the bariatric nurse only told me the rules...she and the dr said no dieting!! .. eat meat..then veggies...then starch if you have room.... but he also said....the no carb thing isnt healthy...the body needs them so you have them..just choose them wisely.....not snicker bars ...lol....but wheat toast is ok.... gl!

Glad other people are feeling the same!!! I didn't expect the band to do miracles either, just lessen my appetite!!!!!!

I'm HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery Dec. 20th and things seem to be going smoothly. I've lost maybe 15 pounds and really haven't been too hungry but am getting very tired of Protein milkshakes. I know that doctors are different but could you share about when you were allowed to eat mushies and then finally, regular food? I see my doctor next week (my appointment also was delayed by the holidays) and am so hoping to have more choices.

Kathy

It must be a teacher thing....because I felt exactly the same way. My doctor didn't even seem interested in seeing me or asking how I was. I just have to remind myself he's a surgeon, not a social worker. I didn't pay him to be my cheerleader.

I had my surgery on Dec. 12th and am scheduled for my first fill on Jan. 28th...

I was told by his Physican's Assistant, who, by the way, is far more engaging, that your body needs time to heal before they fill. So, it's at least 6 weeks to be sure the lap band stays in place accurately and that the fat pad has time to rebuild around the hardware they've installed. I know it stinks to wait, but you've waited this long..what's a few more weeks?!

Kathy, I was told 3 weeks out to move to mushy foods, and let's be honest...I've tried just about everything under the sun already. I know I'm not supposed to, but seriously, I love eating. I'm now back on track with high Protein and working on following my dr's plan at least for three quarters of my day.

Hope you're all healing and feeling well. :eek: