Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why so many fills to make the band work?

I'm always a little shocked to see people say it takes, 3, 4, or even more fills before they feel proper restriction. For those of you who it took that many times, were you filled under flouro or "blind filled?"

My experiece, succinctly, has been this:

1st fill was October 26th, under flouro, and I saw the opening to my stomach go from wide open to about 10% of it's previous side. I felt some restriction, but I lost a lot of weight during this time, so my port opened back up.

2nd fill was also under flouro, the port was wide open (doctor explained this was weight-loss related), and I saw him reduce the port size to what looked like a trickle. I REALLY have restriction now and have to be careful with anything I eat other than liquids. I can get down just about anything, but not if I'm forgetful and swallow too big of a poorly chewed bite. I don't even bother with rice, grits, bread, or Pasta anymore though.

The only way I see me getting filled a third time is when I lose more weight the band adjusts on it's own again. How about your experiences?

I'm always a little shocked to see people say it takes, 3, 4, or even more fills before they feel proper restriction. For those of you who it took that many times, were you filled under flouro or "blind filled?"

Kagoscuba

My doc blind fills - I drink Water as he inserts the Fluid - my 1st fill 9/5 had restriction for about 3 week - 2nd fill 10/24 - same procedure had doc appt 12/19 had lost 17.5 lbs and he said I didn't need a fill - as i could eat and am losing weight - he wants you to eat - I go back on 1/23 and truely i think i only need a tad of a fill - imho i think fills are just as phyicological (sp) as head hunger - Don't get me wrong they do help control Portion Control - but it doesn't matter if i eat a 1/2 c or 2 cups food - my mind says that I am still hungry - right now i can eat about 1 cup food per meal - and will be phyically full - but still want to eat and i think that just the thought of having a tad added will help me - oh the mind games we play :)

My fills have been a bloody nightmare. I thought I hit my sweet spot at 6 months and 5 fills but I was wrong. I have had between 12-15 fills and unfills trying to find that right place the past 18 months. I have pretty much maintained my weight for a few months now. I just had another fill of .3 up from 2.5 yesterday. It seems I can get in the 2-3 oz again which I am happy about. Needless to say, my insurance does not cover fills so its been pretty costly. Julie

my fills are done under blind fill. the average person only need about 3. then they just follow up with weight loss, etc. my doctor says that it takes a while for the stomach tissue to become hard. what they mean by this is, imagine taking a sponge and squeezing the center. you can usually squeeze for a while before the sponge becomes hard enough not to be able to squeeze anymore.

our stomach have a lot of Fluid in the (the tissue), so when they tighten the band, first it swells, then we have Fluid. this is the reason for morning band, when we wake up we have a lot of fluid in our organs. as the day passes the fluid moves to our extremeties. much is the same with our stomach. as we swallow food and as time passes (gravity) the fluid is pulled from stoma/pouch into the lower stomach. which is why most people can eat more at night.

each person is different, but at some point in time your stomach loses that elasticity and then your fill lasts for a long time.

so that is the reason for the fills up until that point.

I am on my 4th fill in under 5 months. I asked my surgeon today why it keeps getting loose and he said it is a combination of factors, some of the saline can evaporate, your body can adjust to the fill level and also the weight loss. Each time I am filled under fluoro I can see that the opening is very tight but it only lasts a few weeks/month. Don't be dissapointed if you need more fills and in my opinion staying on top of your fill level is key to success. Good luck!

If your wearing a ring... take the ring off. See the indentation? Im thinking the stomach does the same thing. It takes a while (like the the sponge) to get the band to set.

On thanksgiving I had a fill that got me tight. I had to be careful about what I ate and how much i chewed. This week... I feel wide open.

Im at 6.6cc in a 10cc band...all blind fills...

1st - 2cc

2nd - 2cc

3rd - 1cc

4th - 1.6cc

JoeMcc

Kago - you never said how much you were filled? My dr wont put more than 1cc per fill - so that is why it is taking some time. I am at 6cc out of 10cc and I feel different than before but never really close to a PB.

I am definately eating less and seeing some improvement - but wish it was a little faster. BTW, I can eat aything just fine, I am just going with smaller portions and LOTS of Protein.

Next fill - Jan 14

I have also herd that you loose the fat around the stomach araea also. I go and see the doctor on Monday and hope to get a fill the following week. This is the same thing that Iam going to ask him about. I guess I just do not understand body physics like I understand normal physics. When I find something out I will let veryone know.

Chris

Read the post at top "Main lap band surgery forum" by Wendell

about how th band works. I think it is a grat explanation of fills. It helped me to understand why we get fills, we have restriction for a while and then need another fill until finally we reach the magic sweet spot.

It is just a process for banders and along the way, I think it teaches us how to eat better anyway.

I agree that it is similar to head hunger the whole I need a fill concept because not everyone does......I am nearly 2 months out from surgery and have no need for a fill.....I am losing weight and I am NOT hungry. I know this is not the average.....but I have met others in the same boat as I.

My surgeon told me that many of his patients do not need fills the 1st year. I am going with the old addage if not broke don't fix it......as long as the weight is coming off and I am not hungry then I am not filling the band. It is obvious to me that I am able to get restriction......I am only eating 3 ounce meals 3 times a day and drinking 2 Protein shakes in between meals. NO Snacks per my surgeon.

I hear alot of there is not restriction til filled, I do not believe that is true for everyone......otherwise I would be starving...LOL

I am glad that I have done this well, I know as much of the success is mental and wrapping your arms around the band as merely a tool. It is not so much the restriction as to allowing yourself to believe that 3 ounces of food will be enough to fill you up. I eat til I am satisfied not til I am full anymore......I think this is a huge difference as well.