Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any regrets about getting banded?

I am about 90% sure that I want to get a lap-band, but I have a few questions about it still. I was wondering if those of you who have had it for a while could help me out. I keep reading about PBing, and sliming,and I'm wondering how bad that really is? Does it happen at the table, unexpectedly, or do you always have time to get away? If I get a lap-band will I be gassy and constipated as long as I have the band, or do those things go away? I was reading on the thread about people who have taken their bands out, and I must admit, it kinda scared me, but it seems like most of you guys are happy about your bands, even if there are hard things about it. Anyway, I still think the good will outweigh the bad, but I'd love to hear your experiences! Thanks!

I keep reading about PBing, and sliming,and I'm wondering how bad that really is? Does it happen at the table, unexpectedly, or do you always have time to get away? This is something I didn't really understand when I was banded. I thought it would "just happen" -- but that's so far from how it is for me. Always have tim eto get away because it's a good 10 - 30 minutes of pain before anything really happens, unless I provoke it. When I've had to PB in public, it's 10 - 20 minutes of sitting there hurting, followed by a (hopefully) quick trip to the bathroom. Perhaps a revisit.

If I get a lap-band will I be gassy and constipated as long as I have the band, or do those things go away? How the heck could I have any idea whether or not you will be gassy or constipated?? Umm, yes? No? *I* am neither gassy nor constipated. But I have no idea what you do or will be.

I was reading on the thread about people who have taken their bands out, and I must admit, it kinda scared me, but it seems like most of you guys are happy about your bands, even if there are hard things about it. Complications are still a small percentage. As long as the potentia gains outweigh the potential consequences, the decision isn't a hard one.

The most difficult part for me has been to find my sweet spot. Sometimes if I have less restriction I am starving. Then if I am too tight I PB. So there is a necessary balance between the 2 of these. That is the hard part.

Ok, I guess asking about the gas and Constipation was a dumb question. From what I've read, it sounds like its an issue for quite a few people, and I was wondering if that went away with time. Anyway, its good to know that it doesn't happen to everyone. But thanks for the answers. :o

I've had the band for two weeks... I'm no more gassy than I was before the band... and I've had NO Constipation. The only things I've noticed so far are that I tend to have random single hiccups throughout the day that I never had before, and my tummy rumbles quite a bit. Since I'm just now moving onto mushy stage food the rumbling has slowed to just a few times a day. It's definitely not anything that bothers me.

Your "gas" questions was a legitimate one as lots of people talk about gas. That is because during the surgery (this is what I was told by my surgery coordinator so I assume it's standard) some type of gas (no idea what kind) is put into your torso to float the organs to make getting to the stomach and placing the band easier. That's why there are gas pains after the surgery. It kind of works its way out through the body (not just the butt) :phanvan Mine only lasted a week and were not that bad. GasX worked great. As to the Constipation, if you eat enough Fiber and don't have an problems prior to surgery, you should be fine. Since most doctors recommend eating Protein first and that usually fills you up, it might be hard to get enoughh fiber. Flax seed meal works great. High in fiber and it can be added to Protein Shakes.< /p>

I am thrilled with my band. I have only had one fill and have limited restriction in my 10cc band but have still managed to lose 16 lbs during November and December. And I was not as good as I should have been during the holidays.

I was self pay and would do it again.

Good luck!

I love that I have my band in. Everyday gets better then the last. I have to say if I had to choose between the occasional discomfort and being obese, I would choose discomfort, not to mention the fact that as I have lost, the better most things have become.

I do have Constipation. I am trying some different natural ways to resolve the problem. Honestly, dieting causes constipation. So, you just have to work through it.

But, I would say talk to your doctor, and just think about what is important to you. If changing your lifestyle, loosing weight, and being healthy are important, I would seriously pursue what you need to do in order to loose weight.

GOOD LUCK!!! Let me know if you decide to pursue the lap-band. I am so beyond happy with my decision, I have lost 51 pounds!

Thank you guys! I'm getting really excited about getting a band, and I'm glad to hear how well its working for other people. There's good and bad to everything, so I'm sure the band is no different, but I'm getting more sure about the band every day. I think the good will far outweigh the bad. I'm also really glad I found this site...you guys are awesome!! I'll let you know when I get my surgery date!

Hi Mel,

I don't think any question on the boards is a dumb one, I am being banded on the 15th Jan in Sydney and like you, want to be prepared.

Good luck,

Jen