Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you have one again??!!

Hello there,

:)

I am looking around at all the info available about Lap Bands and came across this site.

I was quite set on doing it until I read of all the complications everyone has had!!

I wondered if you could help me answer a few questions about Lap Banding to help me make up my mind?

1) Would you do it again if you could reverse time?

2) Does everyone have such bad pain after the op?

3) How long would I need to take off work after the op?

4) Does everyone have problems with bad breath, dry wretching, nausea, vomitting, leaking ports etc?

5) Why would you have an 'emergency unfill'?

6) Has anyone had one in Belgium or Prague

7) Can anyone recommend a good surgeon / clinic in the UK?

8) Does it really help much more than trying to restrict portions yourself?

THANKS SO MUCH in advance, I really appreciate it.

Hello there,

:woot:

I am looking around at all the info available about Lap Bands and came across this site.

Welcome to Bandland!

I was quite set on doing it until I read of all the complications everyone has had!!

:D

In perspective, the vast majority have no complications. Remember to work WITH the band, and follow the guidelines to lessen any chances for problems. Get the best surgeon possible, and work on your "head", as this is a journey of mental preparation and motivation. The band is a tool, and you control a great deal of your own success!

I wondered if you could help me answer a few questions about Lap Banding to help me make up my mind?

Most will say ABSOLUTELY! And sooner!

Personally, no. 3 days of discomfort was about it.

Follow Dr.'s suggestion, but I'd give it a week on the short end. In 10 days, most will be fine.

4) Does everyone have problems with bad breath, dry wretching, nausea, vomitting, leaking ports etc?

I've never had any of those problems.

For discomfort, possibly from a fill that rendered you too tight to comfortably eat or drink. Much can be avoided by not drinking with meals, taking small, small bites, slowing down (take 20-30 minutes to eat), and greatly reducing portions. Acid reflux and heartburn are other reasons to seek an unfill.

You might perform a search on this site.

Ditto.

It doesn't seem like it would, but it sure does! You get the sensation of "being done, had enough, I'm full" much quicker due to the greatly reduced stomach pouch. Granted, the yummy foods (sweets, sauces, Cookies, fatty, etc.) slide right thru the band, and provide no feeling of being satisfied. You still must watch the quality and quantity of foods eaten, but the band does assist well when you work with it. It takes time, but the new eating habits become just that - habits. Complications will arise if you ignore signals from your body. You will learn quickly what works, what doesn't. Not so much a diet (I am able to eat nearly anything, just a greatly reduced portion), but a change in the way you eat.

:woot:

Good luck on your journey! Do this for you, and know it is for life...a better life!

Yes, if would have done it SOONER.

Nope, was up and around in 2 days...shopping the day after was tiring though.

Well, it's according to what you do...home based...start back same day...forklift driver-I'd wait a while.

Bad breath comes from dieting, so those on Weight Watchers can have it (attended a meeting and it was discussed at length), Atkins, South Beach, etc....the band doesn't cause bad breath. Dry wretching? Didn't happen with me. Neither has nausea or vomitting or leaking ports.

When you swallow a wad of gum because you forgot you had the band. (it happened to me but I didn't get an unfill...just had the wad retreived)

Never been there...yet.

Sorry, no...but read the boards and hopefully you can find one.

Oh my goodness YES!

Complications are few when you look at how many thousands are banded....bet it's in the millions now. With every procedure there will be a certain percentage to experience complications.

absolutely - just wish I had known how easy it was and that I had done it years ago. Dr. suggested it and I nixed the idea as it was repulsive to me.

I had no 'pain' at all. Yes, I could feel things but on a scale of 1-10, most of the time it was a 1 and never got above a 3. For some reason, I had no gas pains at all and I know what they are from previous laprascopic surgeries. If you follow orders and drink lots of fluids, recovery is fast and easy.

I had surgery on Fri, went to the grocery store by myself on Mon and went to the mall by myself for 3 hours on Tues.

I have had none of these.

Restricting portions by yourself if only going to last so long before we slip into old ways. The band is automatic and there for life as far as I am concerned.

I can't answer the other questions for you. This surgery was the answer for me and I did lots of research before committing to it. Now I am fully committed. Do your research and don't be put off by other's comments. It's all how you deal with it and work with it. Good luck.

Absoultely - only would have done it 10 years ago!!!!!

My pain was not horrible or horrendous :D I went back to work 2 days later; I probably should have waited until the next day. I usually sit in my office but that day everyone wanted to have meetings all over the building so I ended up doing way more walking than I had planned. I had to take the pain meds at work.

I would say 2-3 days at a minimum and a week at the most is pretty common. It also really depends on what you do. I'm a software testers so I'm in front of a computer 90% of the time.

I don't have the bad breath because I haven't given up all carbs. I only toss my Cookies if I haven't chewed enough or eaten to fast - both habits are hard to change but the band certainly enforces it :woot:

I would if I weren't able to get in liquids. That would be if I were tight and then something got irritated and caused additional swelling. I have never had an issue in this area.

Can't help you on this one

Or this one ...

Restricting your portions will help you from trying to eat too much and help keep your from getting sick, stuck or a PB (Productive burp - emptying of your pouch - similar to vomiting w/o the acid)

Good luck to you!!

I would definately do it again. I took off one week... I wish I had taken off two. I have not had any problems that you speak of. One time I had a fill and it was very difficult to drink Water. I was almost at the point of calling my doctor, but, it improved. I have not thrown up, had BP's, or anything like that. It helps more than I can do myself. I've lost 75 pounds so far... and I'm thrilled.

I did have pain after the surgery... and I think if I had walked more, and used a heating pad... it might have been much better.

I completely agree with Cindi's answers. I have never PB'd. I follow the rules, however I do tend to overeat. It feels really bad when I do that, so I am learning. I could have NEVER stopped myself before. It DOES help with my hunger, and I am not even restricted yet. It makes you think about what you are putting in your mouth. It makes you pay attention when you are eating. It really makes you aware, which I never was before. I used to sit in front of TV with a bag of oreo's or chips, and I wasn't aware of eating them until they were all gone...I don't do that anymore. It really does help, and with restriction I'm sure it will be fantastic. The only real mental problem I have at this point is throwing out perfectly good food. I still tend to cook too much of it, and can't seem to eat it all before it goes bad. The dog usually gets it. You may want to practice cooking smaller amounts now...wish I had done that. But, yes, I would have done it all again. I am glad that I waited, because I have the new APS band and I am very happy about that.

would definitely do again.

happy with when i did it. it was right time for me.

i would recommend a full week if you can get it. i went in on a friday morning and did not have to be anywhere until the following monday morning 10 days later. it was perfect. could have gone back earlier but didn't have to .

little pain.

don't know about the uk docs but there is a support group section for uk patients at the bottom of the list of topics.

no bad breath, etc. yet but i don't have my first fill.

i couldn't restrict my portions myself or i would have saved my money:-0

Hello there,

:o

YES

2) Does everyone have such bad pain after the op? No, I would consider it moderate discomfort, not exactly pain. I only took Torodol and then Tylenol.

3) How long would I need to take off work after the op? 1 or two days

4) Does everyone have problems with bad breath, dry wretching, nausea, vomitting, leaking ports etc N? No, the complication rate is 1/1000

5) Why would you have an 'emergency unfill'? If you had terrible FLU or Band Slippage.(very rare)

6) Has anyone had one in Belgium or Prague, No I am from Canada

7) Can anyone recommend a good surgeon / clinic in the UK? there is a gal named DINI from Ireland on the Monthly boards, July 07, Lucky 7's thread... look for her there and ask for her surgeons name.

8) Does it really help much more than trying to restrict portions yourself? Yes, as you will stick to a diet for a few days or 2 wks at most... this BAND is permanent restriction, you physically cannot eat more than the new smaller stomach (band) will hold.

;)

Your welcome, just Peachy:girl_hug:

Hello there,I am looking around at all the info available about Lap Bands and came across this site.THANKS SO MUCH in advance, I really appreciate it.:)

I was quite set on doing it until I read of all the complications everyone has had!! DARLING NOT EVERYONE HAS COMPLICATIONS - I HAVEN'T HAD A ONE (THANK GOD) IT IS VERY INDIVIDUAL - YOU AND I CAN BUY THE SAME CAR - YOURS IS A LEMON MINE IS GREAT - STUFF HAPPENDS YOU CAN WALK OUT YOUR FRONT DOOR AND GET HIT BY A TRUCK TOO..

:o

YES IN A HEART BEAT

NO IT'S THE INDIVIDUAL - I HAVE READ THAT SOME HAVE GONE BACK TO WORK THE NEXT DAY - I WAS BACK AT WORK ON DAY 6 (DESK)

THAT'S UP TO YOU - YOUR AGE TYPE OF WORK YOU DO - I TOOK OFF 4 DAY I'M 52 i HAD SURGERY ON A TUES AND WAS BACK TO WORK ON MONDAY

NOPE NOT EVERYONE HAS THESE PROBLEMS - I HAVE PB BUT THAT'S MY FAULT FOR EATING TOO FAST OR NOT CHEWING meat REAL WELL.

CUZ YOU ARE TOO TIGHT IT CAN TAKE UP TO 2 WEEKS FOR A FILL TO TRUELY SET IT'S SELF

I DON'T KNOW - WE HAVE A GIRL FROM IRELAND IN MY GROUP

THERE IS A UK THREAD I SUGGUES YOU LOOK THERE

IMHO IT IS BOTH 75% OF THE WORK IS UP TO YOU BY MAKING HEALTHY food CHOICES AND ADDING EXERCISE IN YOUR LIFE AND 25% IS THE BAND THAT CONTROLS YOUR PORTION SIZE - THIS IS NOT THE MAGIC CURE TO YOUR food ISSUES... THE BAND DOES REQUIRE WORK ON YOUR PART

GOOD LUCK..