Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Annoying!

You know what bothers me the most about the idea of WLS being "the easy way out"? I don't think people who say that have any idea what it entails. I mean, even I didn't know how hard it was going to be. It's truly a life-long commitment.

On top of that, to me it seems incredibly stupid to stay fat and risk your health because you don't want to take "the easy way out." That was one of the reasons I gave people who didn't seem all that supportive of me having the surgery - I'm young, I'm in great health with nothing wrong with me aside from my weight. How stupid would I be to continue to be fat for years and years, waiting until I develop diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and such before deciding to intervene? Even for people who have those problems and who are struggling to overcome them - Why not do something while you still can, while you're still courageous enough to make a huge commitment like WLS, and while your body is still permitting you the chance to turn things around? To me that makes more sense than staying fat and yo-yo dieting for the rest of your life.

I posted a thread in the rant and raves a few weeks ago about this very same topic. Apparently they have made it a point to say that they are looking for weight loss stories of people who have lost weight the "old fashioned" way, many times. I want to tell these people to WAKE UP, this is not the 1950's, we have so many medical advancements, why not take advantage of it?

This is definitely not the first time that this comment has been made on the Today show.

I totally agree with these comments.. how often are we criticised for being "lazy" because we havent "done anything about being overweight", yet the minute we "do" something ie lapband surgery we are "taking the easy way out"

i say to them... whatya want? for me to do something or not?

In the best NJ tradition, I am now totally at ease with saying, "Kiss my ass," whenever someone starts going on about the ease of the surgery. I then follow up with such gems as, "If you are so worried about cheating in life and doing it the old-fashioned way, please feel free to sell your car, grow your own veggies, slaughter your own meat, and go back to church every Sunday, until you hear the sermon about judging people." Jeez, I'm only 38 and I'm already turning into a curmudgeon. B) I think getting older is part losing your physical abilities and part losing your physical ability to not to tell people to shut their pie-hole.

They were on The Insider as well last night. I was annoyed too because they kept emphasizing no surgery. I don't believe they did it totally on their own. If they really did then that is great but I doubt it. People are different and most people cannot do that and keep it off. They make it look like surgery is the easy way out. There has been nothing easy about my life the past almost year. And most people who lost that much weight have excess skin. Unless they have had plastic surgery, I saw no signs of any excess skin.

"If it is so easy why don't they do it?????????"

Most people who are insensitive enough to say things like that are at least aware enough not to say it, if they are overweight. So, they get to preach from on high, without the experience of having to do it themselves. That's why, if I was Catholic, I'd laugh if a priest gave me marriage advice.

I decided to write an email to the Today Show and voice my displeasure about the segment. I suggested that perhaps they could do a segment on just how hard it is to have WLS and live with it for the rest of your life. I think that if they are going to feature one side of the weight loss "coin" then they should also educate their viewers about the other as well.

I sent the TODAY show an e-mail yesterday and expressed my displeasure with the comments by the People magazine woman.

I could not find a web site for the People Magazine or they would have gotten one, too!