Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI'ers--2008!!!

Hello Lower BMIers: I've been extensively researching the Lap Band now for almost 2 years. I am a 37 BMI and 20 or so lbs. away from being a 40 BMI. I've gone through all the supervised diets and psych test, etc. you know the drill however:

I've been turned down by CIGNA 3 times and now ignored by Obestitylaw.com...they just can't do anything more with my insurance because they are saying that the Lap Band is an "experimental" treatment and they don't cover it!

Being 245 pounds when most of my life I was 145 is destroying my self esteem and health. Here's my dilemma and I am looking for opinions because I just don't have anyone to ask about this:

Should I: (My primary care doctor is training to be a Fill Doctor with Fill USA)

1. Go to Mexico ..I like Dr. Rumbaut and did extensive research. Cost is only $9,000 total with everything flight, etc. (I have that $ and won't need a loan)

Problem: Deep down I'm really afraid as I will be going alone. What if something happens and I'm there by myself?

2. Take out a loan for $17,000 that is the cost for an out-patient Lap Band surgery at NYU Med center.

Problem: With the economy the way it is...I'm 49 do I want to have a loan like this? Not working at the present time. Do I want to go into debt again...will I even get the loan?

3. Go to Colorado...there is a doctor there who does it for $10,000 on an out patient basis and is experienced. I need to drag someone with me though as they don't allow you to leave on your own.

4. Continue to pursue and harass my insurance company when really I think they just won't cover me because I don't have the co mobidities they like.

5. Change insurance companies, wear 10 lb weights and do the 6 month supervised diet again. :biggrin:

I know I'm driving myself crazy...can anyone give me any advice?

thanks

m

I feel your pain. I went to Mexico and it was 8500 (December 07 price)with Dr. Ortiz, no one went with me and I drove myself home 2 days later (about 3 hours from mexico border). You will be there with a group of people and you will all stay at the hotel together (separate rooms of course). I hardly felt like I was there alone. I do not know much about Dr. Raumbaut but I know there is one in Mexico that you should avoid all together, really high failure rate. I would do a search on LBT with Dr. Raumbaut's name to see if there are any complaints. If you have a fill center close then you should be okay and if your primary MD is training to be a fill center you will be even better off! Good luck to you and your journey....I probably wouldn't waste my time with your insurance, they are not going to budge.

I don't know where my post went. If I were to go to Mexico, I would go to Alberto Aceves. He has a fabulous reputation and they pick you up from San Diego. I have heard nothing but wonderful reports from all his patients and they say his hospital is like being in a first class hotel.

I went to Mexico as my BMI was only 32/33 so USA doc would touch me. I guess I could have payed $15,000./$18,000. and gone to a local doc. I went to doctor Juan Antonio Lopez Corvela...$8,000. I could not be happier with my results. I went back to Mexico twice for fill. I now go to Dr. McKeen in San Jose Calif. for fills. LOVE MY BAND

Hi...just thought I'd update if anyone gave a toot :)

I've decided I'm going to pay out of pocket for the LB and have it done out patient at NYU. No hospital stay, but it's more affordable but still 7,000 dollars move than going to Mexico. This does include fills however. . I'm getting a bonus in February so it will be then but I can't stop thinkg how much I could do with that 7 grand! :thumbup:

I will still research Dr. Aceves Denise. I like that he picks you up in San Diago. I live on the east coast so I'm worried about a long flight back to NY also and I'm not getting any younger. I only started feeling like I wasn't wonder woman and could do anything about 3 years ago

I will still research Dr. Aceves Denise. I like that he picks you up in San Diago. I live on the east coast so I'm worried about a long flight back to NY also and I'm not getting any younger. I only started feeling like I wasn't wonder woman and could do anything about 3 years ago
FYI: Ortiz picks you up at the San Diego airport too, his clinic is VERY nice, like being in a Beverly Hills clinic...just an FYI if that's a priority. I was VERY happy with Ortiz and his staff. They were first class and treated me great. I haven't been back since surgery since I have a fill clinic close by, but want to get back for a check up soon so I can see them all again too.

Hello Baby! Hope you like my photo ;-).

I was invited to partake in a LOW BMI study, the price is affordable, the surgeon is highly experienced and the hospital is Columbia Pres In Westchester! The referring center is an Obesity Clinic that specializes in Lap Band surgery follow up care and obesity. I will have the support now and it is close to home. It's all about being patient and not giving up with anything in life! I just didn't give up and stayed positive and this is the best choice for me. I agonized for 2 years and fought my insurance company but in time the answer came.

Thanks for starting this post....hope you are well

Sooverit, that is really good news! I am happy for you!

Thank you Denise. I still can't believe I actually have a surgery date of December 2. Now I'm going through those fears of missing food after being banded....I almost feel impending grief! My wiser side though knows this is the right thing for me.

Don't worry. I worried about that stuff too. You will still be able to eat the foods you like, just less of them. I really can eat anything, in small portions.

Hey Denise: I am going to go out there today and weather the 30 something degrees here to walk a mile and a half ..my goal. You are right ....I can not lose weight since I turned 40 without exercise daily. It's a great thing to do anyway and a great habit. I belong to a gym but don't go enough of course. I'm thinking of trying the spin class even though I usually dislike those classes....I know it's better for you on the feet, joints etc. Also Yoga is a powerful exercise to help calm the appetite also. I think I just need a food cop because I see now our body doesn't fogive us for mistakes that we make with eating now. If I sit down and absent mindedly eat a bag of popcorn at the computer ...I will pay for it for a week or so with a bloated stomach and pain. I used to have an Iron stomach and a metabolism that was enviable....I am grateful for this devise! One more week!!

Your surgery is just around the corner! I am happy for you.

Don't worry if you lose weight a little bit slower than the people with the higher BMIs. I lost a bunch on the post op diet, and after that, it was slow going. I was happy to be going in the right direction though, instead of gaining more. I know I would have just kept gaining.

Keep us posted!

Anyone under a 40 BMi is considered a lower BMI in insurance terms and medical. I'm in a low BMI study.

Today is my second day of liquids and I'm shrinking already...woke up and my stomach didn't feel bloated out for the first time in almost over a year. I am also turning 50 in March, in the past year or so I just CAN'T handle food like I used to.

Glad for this week long liquid diet...it gives you a taste of what being fit will feel like! I am excited and happy to be having the LB surgery in a week!

m