Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sharp pain when I twist

I have been having horrible stabbing pains, or pulling pains, where my big incision is. It started intensly today though I've had twinges on and off for the whole month since I was banded.

It hurts when I bend over, or when I twist just a bit to the right. The pain almost brings tears to my eyes it's so intense. But then when I stop and breath and relax it's gone. It isn't constant and until I twist or bend that way again I'm fine.

Here are the things that I fear could have hurt me. 1. picking up my 1 yr old. I know that I'm not supposed to lift too much but it's awfully hard not to lift her. She's only about 35 pounds and I am very careful when I do. I have not felt any sudden pulling when I have done so. 2. I moved furniture the last couple of days when I took down my xmas tree. I didn't lift anything too heavy and it did not hurt when I did so. DH did most of the lifting. I slid a lot of stuff. 3. We went out dancing last night. Nothing strenuous, just some two stepping. 4. My DH is finding me attractive again so this last week we have resumed our sex life. Again, nothing strenous, but maybe I bent the wrong way? It didn't hurt when it was happening.

I know that many of these things are possible no no's. I know that I need to take it easy for a few days. What I'm really wondering is if I need to go the doc tomorrow and have things looked at more closely. My band doc is 5 hours away so I can't do that, but my local clinic may be able to look at it and tell me something.

What do you all think? Did I hurt myself? I'm sure it's port site and not band site. I just don't know where to go next. Any insight would be appreciated. For now, I'm going to sit and relax a bit and try not to hurt myself further.

Steph

Call your doctor. Could be any number of things....scarring adhesions come to mind first. Those can be real buggers if you are prone to them. I'd call the doctor or go to see him if it seem s particularly dibilitating.

Thanks Kacee. As soon as I complained about it, it seemed to stop bugging me. Sort of like my car when I go to the mechanic. But now that I'm sitting down and relaxing again it is beginning to be irritated again. I will call and try to get into the doc tomorrow. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Steph

Steph, curious on what the doc said. I have been banded right at a year and now I have this horrible pain on my port side. It actually feels like the port is pulling away from the muscle. It very painful. I feel it if I twist or bend. I'm thinking it could be muscle spasms, but not sure.

I had problems, but I ended up pulling a muscle during the first week. Mine was from sitting uncomfortably to try to avoid pain in the incisions. I didn't take my pain meds like I was suppose to.

My surgeon's nurses SUCK! I'm so frustrated with them right now! Okay....here comes a rant. Click off if you don't want to hear it. but Sunshine asked!

the first time I called after surgery the nurse called back and didn't even know my name....she called my Tiffany. Obviously she hadn't looked at my chart or anything. Second time, when I was feeling fluish, nurse called me back and didn't even know what my surgery was. She thought I had dmy gall blader removed. (after I had left a detailed message about my question) and didn't know why I was so concerned about vomiting. She then called back after talking to the PA and said it was no big deal to vomit and that I shouldn't worry about it (4 days out of surgery). This time, she said she didn't really have any idea what could be causing the pain but since she didn't know it must not be any big deal and to not worry about it.

My name is Stephanie, I'm a lap band patient, and was told repeatedly pre-surgery NOT to vomit! And now I have a pain that I worry may be a flipped port and she tells me not to worry about it!

I have an appointment on the 8th and plan to give the place a piece of my mind. I want to do it face to face instead of over the phone. I also plan on writing something and sending it to my actual surgeon and the administration. Possibly the band companies and the AMA.

I've never been so frustrated in my life. I'm sure I'm fine and I will not leave on the 8th until I have some answers and an apology! I may turn into their worst nightmare!

so, the short of it sunshine is that I do not know what the problem is. Hopefully someone will tell me something next Tuesday. The pain is basically there in the mornings. Once it hurts, it is painful to the touch. It feels almost like I've torn something out of where they placed my port. But it goes away once I get moving and working. Since you're okay at a year, it makes me hopeful that it really isn't something serious. I'll let you know though.

Thanks for asking, Sorry about the rant

Steph

Steph - docs & nurses can be frustrating, I know. Hang in there and hopefully you will get an answer.

My port area seems to be better, I honesty think it was muscle spasms for me. I have a probelm with low potassium, I'm taking quickslim30 which has a diuretic in it (which can cause low potassium), and when I get low potassium, it causes me to get muscle cramps/spasms.

I also did a big no no, my DH & I went out to Celebrate our 19yr anniversary, we had dinner - I had some wine - then we went to a concert with this band he loves (local nobody band), and his friend was there and bought me a beer, well, I drank 2 beers and was going to bathroom all night, I think this also caused my potassium to be low. I didn't have the pain until after that night, so I'm assuming it is low potassium. I've been eating bananas everyday, and taking a potassium pill. It does seem to help.

Keep us updated after your appointment, I'm curious to know if the vomit did anything - I really think it probably irritated the port area, since it is still so sensitive (mine was for about a month) and you are so fresh out of surgery. I think it will be okay, but you need to have it checked out to be sure.