Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Start With 60 Or Less Lbs To Lose?

Hello out there. I was banded on April 26, 2007. While I am very happy with those that are losing an incredible amount of weight quick time I am personally very disappointed in myself. :cry I have lost only about 25 lbs and most of that was before August 2007. Really nothing since. I did gain 5 lbs while I was away on vacation over Christmas.:rolleyes

I am wondering if there are others who started with this amount of weight out there that are having as slow a time as me.

Hi Donna - I was also banded in April and really understand your situation. I know it can be frustrating. Your accomplishment is signficant. I have lost 30 and another 30 to go. I knew it would be slow but not this slow. I know I need to exercise a lot harder. I thought I was doing good with exercise but when I stepped it up for a few weeks by working out for an hour, I did lose a few pounds, so that's the goal for now. Good luck, Kathy

Hi Donna On another site I told you I am loosing very slowly. Just to point out that there is a gentleman (TLBC patient) who had the band put on and never exercises. He is now at goal after loosing (I think) over 100 lbs. He has a spinal issue (can't spell the medical term) so he went into small meals with skim milk custard and Jello between meals. So you can loose weight without exercising. Exercising is great for the well being, but not totally necessary in loosing weight.

If you dislike exercise there is no way in "h..l" that you will do it consistantly so I would suggest you look at other ways. Hope this helps. Doddie.

I started out with 50 lbs to lose and was successful in meeting this goal in under a year. Because I had ruined one rotator cuff and then the other shoulder begin to blow out as well I never did manage to go to the gym during this period of time. I ate small meals and did a lot of walking during this period and that was all I did. I did, however, come back from Mexico with a bowel disorder which lasted about 5-6 weeks. During this period of time it was food in, food very quickly out again. This may have speeded up my weight loss.... I wouldn't advise using this technique, though.

I would advise you to keep the faith. Surgeons do say that it usually takes two years to reach goal with the band. Those of us who manage to make it in less time are either lucky, as I was, or are very, very dedicated to the process and thus are really meticulous about counting their calories and exercising.

yes and another factor is some people have to lose more than 100 pounds.this is a life time change so i don't diet but make healthier choices and yes i do cheat more than i should.i go for a fill and the nutritionist on jan 8 to get back on track.

It makes no difference if you have 200 lbs to loose or 50 lbs, the calories all count the same. It is true a larger body expends more calories per hour of exercise but not that much. So the only way to loose is to make sure that the calories taken in are less than the calories being used.

Many people that are exercise gurus suffer joint issues that will affect them for the rest of their lives. They take on a fitness regime that not many could follow even if they wanted to. And yes they loose the weight but at what cost. So Donna D. what your pet dogs for the cardio, cut back on the intake and the weight will come off. Don't be impatient, you have the rest of your life. doddie.

Hang in there ! It sounds like you are doing fine. Just think, you only need to lose 30 pounds, not 100 or more. You will get there. Donna