Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flipped port operation

Can anyone help me? I have to have my port resuctured in around 2 weeks because my doctor was unable to fill it due to it flipping sideways. He thinks this happened due to my abdominals walls being weak as I had the surgery only 12 weeks after my second son was born. Aparently it is only day surgery but was just wondering if anyone else has had this done? Is it a local or general - don't want those bloody gas pains again and is it a quick recovery. My doctor is very difficult to talk to and just said it was a simple procedure but was annoying that I have to have it done before I have even had a fill - although aparently he is going to do this at the same time. Also wondering about cost - He wanted to do the surgery 6 weeks after my son was born and I decided to wait another 6 so surely some of this is his fault. Any stories about experiences would be much appreciated. :phanvan

My friend who was banded about 2 months after me just went through her 2nd surgery in as many months because her port just won't stay put. She is doing great and looks forward to a fill on Monday! Don't let it discourage you, although all surgeries have risks, hers was a piece of cake she says.

Good Luck!

Hi, my port flipped 4 months after I got banded. The surgery was a breeze, I was in and out of the hospital in about 2 hours. They did what they call "twilight" anesthia. I was asleep, but not for long. The recovery was very easy and I was back at work the next day. I had some mild discomfort, kind of like a pulling sensation, but that was all.

I had my port flip all the way around. The doctor tried to flip it back into place inside the office. It was impossible to do so I was scheduled for surgery. I was put under general aneesthesia and the large cut where the port was inserted, was re-cut and the port replaced.

It is just about the same surgery that you already had but your only cut once. I bounced back quickly with the first surgery but the second really kicked me in the butt!!!

It has now been six weeks since I had the second surgery and I am now much better.

just found out my port is flipped after Dr tried to give me my first fill. Will go back tomorrow under general. I believe they are just going to restich it back into place and I can walk out of the hospital (???).

I just hope this doesnt lead to future problems

found out my port is flipped after Dr was trying to give me my first fill. Going back tomorrow to have it restiched under general. just how painful is it?

hope this doesnt lead to future problems

Not too painful it was an easier surgery the second time took me more time to recover than the first surgery.

found out my port is flipped after Dr was trying to give me my first fill. Going back tomorrow to have it restiched under general. just how painful is it?

hope this doesnt lead to future problems

:)

I dont know how to edit my posts but it should say I am having a local NOT general.

I hope it stays put this time

Mine surgery is next Tuesday, will let you know how it goes, but I too am hoping it is a heck of a lot easier that the actual lap band surgery.

Hi

I had my port flip completely around also found out when attempting my first fill, had it revised in july 07, surgery was not too bad 3 days of soreness. good luck make sure he secures it well.

Thanks for all the replies.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I had my procedure done a couple of hours ago. It wasn’t completely horrible and I am glad she did it with a local as I am already back at work. No pain as of yet bc I am still numb. She told me my port had flipped backwards and it was a first for her. Lots of tugged and weird sensations and some pain from the needle but it was tolerable<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Glad I had to taken care of fast bc she was also able to give me my first fill at the same time.<o:p></o:p>

I have been to the office 4 times for fills. The first time I did not have a fill because I was not hungry, the second I had a fill (but my port was flipped over, and he was able to flip it back, with a good deal of pain involved). Then the third time I was not hungry, so no fill, then today the 4th, once again it is flipped over, and he tried to flip it back, but holy moly that hurt like hell. So now, I am scheduled for monday to have surgery again. I am very nervous, plus the cost really nervous about that, no one has really told me what I will have to pay. So, lets just add that to the bills, lol.

I am scared that I will have an allergic reaction to whatever I did last time, they still do not know, around my incisions. I am also scared about going under again. I just hope everything goes well. Any help????

Well I am home now from my flipped port surgery. I must say that this one is a hell of a lot better than the actual lap band surgery. No gas pain - don't feel shocking, just a bit sore around the port site of course. However, I still don't have a fill which is really frustrating. I have now had the band in almost 3 months and really wanted to have lost more by now but I can still eat waaaay too much. Apparently because my abdominal walls were so thin - surgery 12 weeks after baby - he had to do a fair bit of work and really stitched it in to a muscle. He didn't want to fill it in case I vomited at all because this may have undone all the work he had done and of course would hurt like hell. So because we are going on holiday to New Zealand in a few weeks, I will have to wait until nearly the end of Feb before I finally get a fill. Frustrated but really pleased that the surgery was lots easier. Good luck everyone else.

I had my port revision surgery on Monday. It was much easier, NO GAS PAIN, YAY! However, I am still sore around the incision area. I also have a cold, which goes great with the surgery. I was fully put to sleep, which was interesting. I can say that it does not compare to the original surgery. I have had one fill, and my doc filled me while he was in there doing the surgery, so I am very happy. Really, I am very happy with the results of the surgery, and my weight loss.