Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removed Due To Erosion

My band was removed because of erosion, and I will never be able to get another band according to my team of surgeons (too much damage/scar tissue.) I felt like a science project the whole time I was banded and was glad to have the contraption removed and wish I'd have done a gastric sleeve or bypass instead. Like I said elsewhere I didn't exactly have "medical" symptoms but I certainly felt different in the Digestive Department. While banded, food and liquid passed a certain way, and I was accustomed to the sounds my stomach made. Once eroded the gurgles were way off key, they lost their rhythm. It wasn't painful but something felt really wrong. I still had restriction and PB'd the night before band removal.

My doctor indicated a port infection most likely lead to erosion since he was removing a lot of bands from people that had port problems such as port revision, flipped ports, pulled ports, infected ports. He also believes that a tiny nick on the stomach during surgery can go unnoticed, something so small that the doc will ignore. The smallest infection from the nick grows bacteria that can't ever be stopped, not even with antibiotics. The infection makes its way up to the port, and the rest is history.

I simply woke up one day feeling really strange, an eerie instinct or intuition that had me make an appointment for an endoscopy that confirmed I eroded.

So many people that don't have a clue are posting their beliefs on erosion so I wanted to share some facts. Ports should never be replaced or treated with antibiotics once infected, and there's no indication that we cause our own erosion. I see that a lot here, and it's not true. This isn't up for debate, either, because everyone has different band/erosion experiences. It was a great way to limit portions but I never thought it would last forever and really wish I'd gone straight to a bypass/sleeve instead. I said the same thing 1000 times, that I wanted something reversable, which is pure nonsense considering I never wanted to lose 100 pounds temporarily, and that's what the band did for me. Hot, now not. Hindsight, damn.

My band was removed because of erosion, and I will never be able to get another band according to my team of surgeons (too much damage/scar tissue.) I felt like a science project the whole time I was banded and was glad to have the contraption removed and wish I'd have done a gastric sleeve or bypass instead. Like I said elsewhere I didn't exactly have "medical" symptoms but I certainly felt different in the Digestive Department. While banded, food and liquid passed a certain way, and I was accustomed to the sounds my stomach made. Once eroded the gurgles were way off key, they lost their rhythm. It wasn't painful but something felt really wrong. I still had restriction and PB'd the night before band removal.

My doctor indicated a port infection most likely lead to erosion since he was removing a lot of bands from people that had port problems such as port revision, flipped ports, pulled ports, infected ports. He also believes that a tiny nick on the stomach during surgery can go unnoticed, something so small that the doc will ignore. The smallest infection from the nick grows bacteria that can't ever be stopped, not even with antibiotics. The infection makes its way up to the port, and the rest is history.

I simply woke up one day feeling really strange, an eerie instinct or intuition that had me make an appointment for an endoscopy that confirmed I eroded.

So many people that don't have a clue are posting their beliefs on erosion so I wanted to share some facts. Ports should never be replaced or treated with antibiotics once infected, and there's no indication that we cause our own erosion. I see that a lot here, and it's not true. This isn't up for debate, either, because everyone has different band/erosion experiences. It was a great way to limit portions but I never thought it would last forever and really wish I'd gone straight to a bypass/sleeve instead. ...

We are going to disagree on a few points here.

No antibiotics for port infections? Yeah, we disagree. Many people get port infections and many are on antibiotics and they don't typically don't experience erosion so it most certainly is up for debate.

An infected port is only one way to erode, not the only way.

I agree with you that erosion is not typically the patient's fault, but since it can't be proven we don't really know one way or another.

Some of the theories on erosion:

A band that is placed that is too small for the stomach.

A fill that is way too tight for an extended period of time.

A scratch on the back of the stomach during surgery.

Chemicals used to sterile instruments for surgery.

A port infection.

Many theories have been shown to be false such as smoking causes erosion, it does not. Spicy food, etc. Those have been proven to be false. At this point it is known what does not cause erosion, it is theory as to what does cause erosion and NOBODY should let an infected port go. Many can be treated very successfully with antibiotics.

One point you make that I agree with you SOOOO much! And it is this:

I said the same thing 1000 times, that I wanted something reversable, which is pure nonsense considering I never wanted to lose 100 pounds temporarily, and that's what the band did for me. Hot, now not. Hindsight, damn.

I'm beginning to kick myself for getting banded vs. a sleeve. I've had band problems and while I am certainly a minority in the type of problems I've had, I still can't believe I wanted something I could reverse. I have no reason to ever weigh 112 pounds more than I do again. I want permanent, I'm not really sure why having something I could reverse was so important to me. Perhaps it was because I don't think I really thought it would work anyway so at least I could have the latest fad removed. :rose: I'm not sure.

The idea of no erosion, no port issues such as pain, infection, flipped, a port sticking out as it is now, none of that. No slips, heartburn, reflux, fills, unfills, restriction... I'd do a sleeve today if I had it to do over again.

If I knew without a doubt I could not eat bread I'd have revision surgery today, this minute. But just as with a band, some sleeve people can eat bread and some can't. I already know I can't eat bread without a special trick today (and no, I won't tell the newbies what that trick is). Since I can't eat bread I'm going to stick with the band for now. If I ever lose it, it's a sleeve for me.

It's sheer narcissism that anyone would disagree with someone's personal erosion experience. Unless you've experienced erosion then you're clueless and only base opinions on and endless supply of unconfirmed reading and hearsay. Only a paranoid delusional narcissist would post disagreements to a true story of real erosion to turn yet another thread into a debate. If you don't have any complications, stick to what you've been through and debate your know-it-all disagreements to the Rants and Raves section.

It's sheer narcissism that anyone would disagree with someone's personal erosion experience. Unless you've experienced erosion then you're clueless and only base opinions on and endless supply of unconfirmed reading and hearsay. Only a paranoid delusional narcissist would post disagreements to a true story of real erosion to turn yet another thread into a debate. If you don't have any complications, stick to what you've been through and debate your know-it-all disagreements to the Rants and Raves section.

And a Merry Christmas to you too, Mr. Happy!

I did not disagree with YOUR erosion experience, I fully disagree that your experience will be like everyone else's. To say no antibiotics to port infections is silly. Not once did I tell you anything about YOUR experience. But feel free to spread your cheer around as you have been thus far.

And a Merry Christmas to you too, Mr. Happy!

I did not disagree with YOUR erosion experience, I fully disagree that your experience will be like everyone else's. To say no antibiotics to port infections is silly. Not once did I tell you anything about YOUR experience. But feel free to spread your cheer around as you have been thus far

I beg your pardon, but how many years have you been placing LapBands and treating infected ports as a qualified surgeon? You’ve been banded merely a year yet boast arrogant assumptions throughout this informative forum leading me to believe you are the Band Leader of Lapbandtalk.com. Are you? If so, perhaps some continuing education is in order considering plenty of qualified band surgeons, with long term experience treating port infections, have stopped prescribing antibiotics that can never kill all the miniscule bacteria, which unknowingly hang around breeding at the base and tend to lead to erosion within the first two years. These same surgeons, the ones with M.D. at the end of their names, remove infected ports and insist on waiting 6 months to a year before performing an endoscopy to confirm or rule out erosion. Nowhere did I infer that port problems are the only cause of erosion. This tool is, and may continue to always be, in an experimental phase without enough longevity for anyone to know as much as you narcissistically believe you know. This topic isn’t a debate or up for questioning, it is one person’s experience backed up by a team of qualified Band surgeons with M.D. at the end of their names who believe that infected ports will, indeed, lead to Band erosion, based on their data and patients they’ve treated to date. When it comes to health, life and potential death, [your] ignorance is not bliss.

So, TD, I assume from your post that you ARE a lap band surgeon who is qualified to speak for everyone who has ever been banded? Considering that each surgeon has different ideas about every phase of lap band surgery, from pre op diet to treatments of complications, I would say it is presumptuous of you to speak for all surgeons and all patients. Please share your experiences, by all means. Even tell us what your surgeons' opinions are. They are educated, trained, informed opinions, but opinions nevertheless. My surgeon may disagree. I see no need to attack anyone who disagrees with you. Using phrases like "paranoid delusional narcissist is rude and an indication that the phrase applies to you more than to anyone else.

YOU PEOPLE <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>ARE</st1:stockticker> PARANOID Steve Martin. If you try reading a little more carefully you might realize that this is one story of one person’s erosion that never suggests only one cause. There are no absolute answers, only theories, beliefs, myths and supporting data that might potential cause or “lead to” erosion. It’s not an overnight process, it happens gradually. Think of battery erosion or a rusty can, it starts with a tiny spot and gradually erodes at a slow pace. A fill under fluoroscopy often suggests erosion, but if the erosion is in the beginning stages, the saline fill might still flow correctly through the band and go undetected by the fluoroscopy. If a doctor, while under fluoroscopy, notices a problem with the way the saline flows, only an endoscopy will verify an eroded band. When people here arrogantly debate and override reality to express their own useless opinions it misleads other who come here to hear real facts that can save them pain and suffering both physically and financially. To think strangers posting at LabBandTalk have answers is ludicrous, but to print items found here to discuss with a qualified band surgeon(s) is a priceless tool. Instead of suspicious insinuations, just call your surgeon since Ariel Ortiz has his fair share of eroded patients that are no longer banded. While you’re on the phone, tell him to log in and send me a private message so I can inform him the 2 patient coordinators that are spreading the most vicious terrifying rumors imaginable about him so he can do some damage control.

When your band slips, you gain a lot of expertise on slippage. When your port flips, same thing. Likewise for erosion or any other complication because you are put in a world surrounded by the same. You frenetically call every doctor on the planet, meet as many others in your situation, spend hours researching the implant/supplier/maker. I'm not an expert but having lived, barely, through erosion, I bet I know a lot more than an antagonistic egghead.

TD, I am sorry you lost your band but you must understand that your surgeon's belief that all infected ports lead to erosion is very different than what most surgeons believe. At this time the cause of erosion is unclear so you should not be go around trying to scare everyone into thinking if their port is infected they should not take antibiotics and that they are going to lose their band. That is ridiculous. It seems like you have a lot of hurt feelings over losing your band and again, I am sorry to hear that but you need to stop personally attacking other members of this forum. We all come here for help and every members opinion is appreciated even yours (as long as you are not attacking). As for the posts by WASaBubbleButt, I have read her posts and other that have had the band some time before deciding to get the band. I appreciate all of her posts and I know she has personally helped a lot of people on this board so you should not be so quick to attack her. Finally, please don’t contribute to the rumors being spread by my lapband surgeon Dr. Ariel Ortiz. Is you know there are people spreading lies about him on the forum step up and give the names and put and end to it. It is the right thing to do.

Lynn, posting on the Internet that you personally know what most surgeons believe is dishonest and arrogant. Do you actually know most surgeons? As far as rumors, asking Ortiz, who I personally know, to drop me a line, isn't spreading a rumor but helping him prevent more damage to his reputation; he's a nice guy that should be given the chance to defend his name. As for me trying to scare people by posting accurate information, you better grab hold of reality because a very large and growing number of port infections continue to lead to erosion, and erosion undetected, among other complications, can lead to serious problems and potentially death. Your own surgeon can tell you how bad things went for a very popular Mexican patient coordinator who went too long before getting an endoscopy and was brought back to life more than once during the removal process only to be left struggling for a normal life. If this scares you or anyone else, then elective surgery of any type isn't for you. Complications happen, which is why there's an entire section at LBT for sharing informative stories like this one. Go play detective with your friends and you'll find plenty of bandsters at LBT whose port complicatons lead to erosion. Or just stay in the dark with your eyes closed.

TD, not sure if you noticed that in the link that you posted the poster mentioned Wasa in her story, to thank her for her support. It was pretty awesome how she said that Wasa supported her.

I have read a lot of Wasa's post and can honestly say that I do not agree with many and sometimes feel that she thrives on debating but on the other hand many more of her posts have been helpful and I truly believe that she would do what she could to help any one of us out.

I can see how you might be sensitive to the disagreement she posted but remember that she is entitled to her beliefs and opinions, just as you and I are. I also must say, I read her posting more than once I do not believe that her intention was to discredit or minimize your experience, just to point out that there are other views on the subject. I believe I have read from her other postings that she is a nurse and I believe her husband is a doctor. IMHO, this does add to her credit.

To speak my opinion on my choice for band vs the other methods...I found out today that my band has slipped and I am going to need surgery for repositioning. Yet, I still feel that the band is the best choice of all the surgeries available. Why? Because it is reversible. This complication that I am having can be fixed easily, according to my surgeon.

I like that my band is reversible not because I think I will ever want to have it voluntarily removed but because it can be if life threatening complications happen AND my anatomy has not been altered from God's original design.

I imagine that most people that have had complications from the band were happy that it could be reversed after recovering from the disappointment of losing it. With the other surgeries, there is little chance that the procedure can be reversed and even if it is possible, it is very risky.

God forbid that if I am ever faced with the news that my band must be removed, I love knowing that it can be and the fact that my anatomy has not been altered provides me with other options.

I am sorry that you lost your band but I am happy that your procedure was reversible, for your health's sake.

When your band slips, you gain a lot of expertise on slippage. When your port flips, same thing. Likewise for erosion or any other complication because you are put in a world surrounded by the same. You frenetically call every doctor on the planet, meet as many others in your situation, spend hours researching the implant/supplier/maker. I'm not an expert but having lived, barely, through erosion, I bet I know a lot more than an antagonistic egghead.

YES, personal experience can give you a different perspective but so can education. I am so sick of people attacking one another. Wasa did nothing but point out to you that everything isn't so black and white as YOU have tried to make it! Reread your original post without blinders and maybe you will see that you spoke in very definative terms. That is not the case. But I am sure you will not take the time to do that, as from what I can see you are enjoying a good fight. Let me know when YOU personally have and MD degree and this maybe worth more to me.