Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to have a piece of cake

Not sure my feelings on this. I keep saying i'm going to treat myself to a piece of cake christmas eve, but then I think I shouldn't even be thinking about cake. Had my surgery Nov 19th down 28 pounds.

If anyone has any input, please share with me.

Thanks

i dont think you should have much problem if every once in awhile you splurge on the holidays. i was banded 12/12/07 so im new at this and im on the pureed/mushy phase but your crazy if you dont think im not gonna have a couple bites of pumpkin pie!!! lol:whoo::hungry:

Having a cookie or a piece of cake doesn't make you gain weight. Having a steady diet of cake and Cookies does. If you feel that you are always denying yourself and punishing yourself, you will probably fail at your weight loss attempts. If you change your lifestyle so it does not include high fat or high sugar foods on a regular basis, but have a treat on special occasions, you will feel much better about your diet and be more successful.

My daughter knows a bandster who has lost over 250 pounds. One day a week she lets herself have anything she wants to eat.

So just don't eat the whole *#&$* cake and you will be fine!

If the issue is about your post-op diet (should you be on mushies?) then don't have the cake or, as someone suggested, moisten it with milk or icecream and stir.

If you don't have the cake now, you'll stubbornly make up for it later. Now if the issue is that you think that you shouldn't be eating cake because people who have weight loss surgery are irrational for even considering it after going to great expense and trauma, then I have another opinion (I'm verbose today- sorry).

Some bandsters go on diets and count calories. Maybe it works for them but I just read posts about a bunch of people on a diet and beating themselves up when they transgress and have wheat. It reminds me too much of failed diets. I don't buy into that mentality anymore.

Maybe certain personality type (left-brained) concentrate on the calories-in/calories burned and the scientific side but out personalities always get in the way. That's why we got fat.

I'm glad I'm not one of them. That's not why I got banded. It just drives me nuts if I try to count calories eaten and calories burned. I don't want to think about and plan cake a week in advance.

I just focus on choosing healthy food with the nutrients I need to get through the day and the rest falls into place. I don't feel guilty if I eat chocolate but sometimes I question whether it was the best choice to reach my weight loss goals.

I say have the cake. Cakes shouldn't have a special power. They are just sitting there being cake. They're not sinful and, as someone said above, it's only a regular diet of cake that will get you in trouble.

i was banded nov 28th ... i cant wait for my fills to feel restriction so now its complete willpower...i dont over eat...i'm avoiding carbs as much as possible...but i didnt have this surgery to be on Atkins or weight watchers...you can bet ur christmas stockings i'll eat cake christmas day!!!!!! or christmas eve at the party i go to.... this is about reality.....if a person has to deprive things from themselves..they want them more...i know i do... i dont think cake is the reason i got fat... alot of food and alot of cake is the reaon i got fat..washed down with alot of soda.....which i dont have now... so for a holiday...or special occasion..or because you've done so good all week..enjoy something you want..... hell...isnt that why we chose lap band? its why i did...not to give up things...to help me eat less!!!! gl to all and happy holidays...and dont let a small piece of cake make you feel guilty....enjoy! :hungry:

If the issue is about your post-op diet (should you be on mushies?) then don't have the cake or, as someone suggested, moisten it with milk or icecream and stir.

If you don't have the cake now, you'll stubbornly make up for it later. Now if the issue is that you think that you shouldn't be eating cake because people who have weight loss surgery are irrational for even considering it after going to great expense and trauma, then I have another opinion (I'm verbose today- sorry).

Some bandsters go on diets and count calories. Maybe it works for them but I just read posts about a bunch of people on a diet and beating themselves up when they transgress and have wheat. It reminds me too much of failed diets. I don't buy into that mentality anymore.

Maybe certain personality type (left-brained) concentrate on the calories-in/calories burned and the scientific side but out personalities always get in the way. That's why we got fat.

I'm glad I'm not one of them. That's not why I got banded. It just drives me nuts if I try to count calories eaten and calories burned. I don't want to think about and plan cake a week in advance.

I just focus on choosing healthy food with the nutrients I need to get through the day and the rest falls into place. I don't feel guilty if I eat chocolate but sometimes I question whether it was the best choice to reach my weight loss goals.

I say have the cake. Cakes shouldn't have a special power. They are just sitting there being cake. They're not sinful and, as someone said above, it's only a regular diet of cake that will get you in trouble.

I agree with you 1000% ! I do not get going on a diet after having surgery , for me perosnally , diets do not work because of the restrictions they put on you , lets face its as minimial as they are I have enough restriction placed on me now with the band. I tracked calories right after surgery just to make sure I was eating ENOUGH. I do not count calories, protien , ect.

IF I want a piece of cake at a party , christmas, ect I eat it . I do NOT limit myself . I eat what i want . As you can tell from my signature it works for me, Im down almost 60 pds ! I have adjusted my eating habits since surgery , i eat better, eat healthier!

HTH

Mindy

ive had cake. i find that small peices once and awhile help me really take my time eating it and enjoying it. instead of the old me who would wolf it down and not have any idea what it actually Tasted like,

I don't think we are aiming for a diet, we are aiming for normal eating habits. Normal people and naturally thin people have a piece of cake sometimes.

Isn't it odd how we don't really know what normal eating is? I still think about my own thinking of food and I have to stop and think, is this considered "normal" or not? ;o)

Today I bought a brownie from the bakery. I ate about 1/8th of it and pitched the rest. To me, that's normal. I don't do it often, I'm not gaining, I'm maintaining, so what's the big deal?

People eat holiday food on holidays, I think it is okay for us too, don't you agree?

Now, if you are a sugar addict and it will start a huge month long binge... no, avoid it. But if you can eat one piece and walk away from it and not start a carb thing that lasts for days then go for it.

Now, if you are a sugar addict and it will start a huge month long binge... no, avoid it. But if you can eat one piece and walk away from it and not start a carb thing that lasts for days then go for it.
That's the thing I'd be worried about! I'm not a big fan of cake in particular, but I have to be wary of foods that "trigger" a desire for more of the same. chocolate in any form comes to mind!

I used to work with a very skinny woman who had the ability to eat one "rectangle" of a Hershey bar and put away the rest of it. I would regard her with total and utter amazement. I was not born with that ability, unfortunately! LOL!

I guess if you were always capable of having an occasional piece of cake then go for it! If you think it'll lead to a total breakdown of your new healthy eating habits, I'd think twice about it. :biggrin1:

Today I bought a brownie from the bakery. I ate about 1/8th of it and pitched the rest.

Was in a cafe last weekend and some young, thin tourists came in for coffee. They asked for a brownie with ice-cream and 4 spoons. They split it.

My mother (who was eating a whole brownie at the time) and I looked at each other and thought, "Aaaaah, that's why we're fat and they're not." I'm sure they enjoyed their shared brownie much more than anyone ever did with a tray of them in one sitting.

i was banded nov 28th ... i cant wait for my fills to feel restriction so now its complete willpower...i dont over eat...i'm avoiding carbs as much as possible...but i didnt have this surgery to be on Atkins or weight watchers...you can bet ur christmas stockings i'll eat cake christmas day!!!!!! or christmas eve at the party i go to.... this is about reality.....if a person has to deprive things from themselves..they want them more...i know i do... i dont think cake is the reason i got fat... alot of food and alot of cake is the reaon i got fat..washed down with alot of soda.....which i dont have now... so for a holiday...or special occasion..or because you've done so good all week..enjoy something you want..... hell...isnt that why we chose lap band? its why i did...not to give up things...to help me eat less!!!! gl to all and happy holidays...and dont let a small piece of cake make you feel guilty....enjoy! :hungry:

I totally relate. I was banded 11/27 an up until yesterday ( we had family over for the holiday) I have been using total willpower and convincing myself that i might get sick if I ate something not on the "approved" post op diet. We also have not had much food in the house, so sticking to the post op list has been easier.

But yesterday, I caved and tried a few new things. I did not eat a lot by any stretch of the imagination.

Had one piece of shrimp, one meatball and about five pieces of ziti. I had three small bites of cheesecake. I could have eaten much more, but didn;t.

the problem now is that now I know I can eat those things and not get sick or stuck or pb or anything, so I'm afraid I'll stray even more.

Next fill is 1/3/08 and I hope I get some restriction soon b/c the willpower that has been getting me through until now is fading fast!

I have 1.5 pounds to go to get under 200 and I really want to get there by Jan 1.

I'm 56, short, not very active and therefore a slow loser. I don't want to screw this up.

Anyone else feel like this? :faint:

Was in a cafe last weekend and some young, thin tourists came in for coffee. They asked for a brownie with ice-cream and 4 spoons. They split it.

My mother (who was eating a whole brownie at the time) and I looked at each other and thought, "Aaaaah, that's why we're fat and they're not." I'm sure they enjoyed their shared brownie much more than anyone ever did with a tray of them in one sitting.

If im out and i feel like getting a dessert , normally one of my kids will get one and I will take a bite or 2 off it and thats it. That's IF I have room left after dinner. Typically though dessert has to be "Planned" for , so i save room LOL

but If i want something I will just take bites off of some one elses now

Mindy

i dont think you should have much problem if every once in awhile you splurge on the holidays. i was banded 12/12/07 so im new at this and im on the pureed/mushy phase but your crazy if you dont think im not gonna have a couple bites of pumpkin pie!!! lol:whoo::hungry:

hi, just read your reply, it's not possible to believe you have lost so much weight so soon you must be feeling so good. i was banded on the 14 th dec and have not checked the scales yet but definately not lost that much.

Not sure my feelings on this. I keep saying i'm going to treat myself to a piece of cake christmas eve, but then I think I shouldn't even be thinking about cake. Had my surgery Nov 19th down 28 pounds.

If anyone has any input, please share with me.

Thanks

Teamcarey - 1 piece of cake is ok - it is real life - it is what normal eating people do - it's not that one piece that adds 5 lbs - its the 2nd 3rd or whole damn thing. If you have the cake take a extra long walk - when I have a treat I pay myself back by exercising a little more.

Exercise is $$$ in the bank - it allows you to have a treat now and then

Good Luck & Merry Christmas...