Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling to stop losing

11 minutes ago, LindsayT said:

You got this! ☺️

Did you have any stalls or lose fast at certain times throughout post op?

Just now, RonHall908 said:

Did you have any stalls or lose fast at certain times throughout post op?

For me, I stalled often, but lost pretty steady. I didn't have weeks long stalls. I would stall for 4-5 days, then lose about a pound a day for 3-4 days, then stall again. This was my norm from the start. I still averaged about 10lbs a month. I'm not sure how or why I lost like this. I do know I wasn't super restrictive in what I ate, just how much I ate of certain things, like bread, sweets, or favorite eats. Though, for some, completely staying away from temptation foods is a must. Having control over what you eat is the key to making this work. And giving yourself grace for the meal, or day, that wasn't the best eating choices. Use this losing time to learn control over food (in a healthy way), learn a new way of eating, learn to get your body moving in some form or fashion (I walk, clean my house, and do life), and learn to be in tune with your body in every area and nurture what it's asking (food (be reasonable), movement, rest, spiritual ECT). Everything I've mentioned, my nutritionist, surgeon, and therapist are on board with and support. I'm not trying to be weird with sharing my journey, but that's what I did/do.

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, LindsayT said:

For me, I stalled often, but lost pretty steady. I didn't have weeks long stalls. I would stall for 4-5 days, then lose about a pound a day for 3-4 days, then stall again. This was my norm from the start. I still averaged about 10lbs a month. I'm not sure how or why I lost like this. I do know I wasn't super restrictive in what I ate, just how much I ate of certain things, like bread, sweets, or favorite eats. Though, for some, completely staying away from temptation foods is a must. Having control over what you eat is the key to making this work. And giving yourself grace for the meal, or day, that wasn't the best eating choices. Use this losing time to learn control over food (in a healthy way), learn a new way of eating, learn to get your body moving in some form or fashion (I walk, clean my house, and do life), and learn to be in tune with your body in every area and nurture what it's asking (food (be reasonable), movement, rest, spiritual ECT). Everything I've mentioned, my nutritionist, surgeon, and therapist are on board with and support. I'm not trying to be weird with sharing my journey, but that's what I did/do.

I lost 70+ lbs. before I had my surgery. I've been eating healthy for a while now. But, it starting going into overdrive back in October. As of my weight today I've lost 25 pounds since my surgery. I had a 10 day stall and started to worry a bit because it was the time between my surgery and when I started soft foods. My surgeon and Dietician told me that would happen. I expected it, but it still had me second guessing at the time. One thing I've taken from all of the stories everyone has, nobody loses the same. I keep that in mind and then realize I'm only 7 weeks post op. I try to walk a 1-2 miles at least two days a week or more. I would like to walk more, but I have a torn meniscus that's going to require a full knee replacement (bone on bone). So, I'm limited without being in a lot of pain. On the days I don't walk, I use my rowing machine or I do some resistance training with a band or light weights. Thanks for your advice and story of what you've been through. I hope you're able to get where you want to be and I wish you the best!

Edited by RonHall908

I'm currently having this issue as I'm almost a year (9 months) into it; I was satisfied with my 160 for a couple of weeks ago, but I'm currently at 155 and I'm starting to get worried. I know I haven't been eating more than a meal or two a day which can be the reason, but I'm having a tough time in going beyond two meals. Should I just load up in empty calories and junky Snacks? I'm also trying to go to the gym more regularly so the muscles can gain more pounds.

1 minute ago, Penguin733 said:

I'm currently having this issue as I'm almost a year (9 months) into it; I was satisfied with my 160 for a couple of weeks ago, but I'm currently at 155 and I'm starting to get worried. I know I haven't been eating more than a meal or two a day which can be the reason, but I'm having a tough time in going beyond two meals. Should I just load up in empty calories and junky Snacks? I'm also trying to go to the gym more regularly so the muscles can gain more pounds.

Don't get back into junk and empty calories... that'll snowball fast. Compensate with healthy fats complex carbs, and the occasional treat. I like to add the occasional bread, Pasta, or rice to a meal if I want more. But that's after I eat my healthy stuff first. If you're going to the gym, maybe more Protein.

1 hour ago, LindsayT said:

Don't get back into junk and empty calories... that'll snowball fast. Compensate with healthy fats complex carbs, and the occasional treat. I like to add the occasional bread, Pasta, or rice to a meal if I want more. But that's after I eat my healthy stuff first. If you're going to the gym, maybe more Protein.

I've been unable to do rice (which is a shame since in my culture 90% of our food is rice based) and maybe because I ate too fast before but sandwiches have been a bit tough but I'll try again. Haven't tried Pasta since the surgery.

And I'm trying with the Protein through bars and shakes; haven't tried making porkchops and steaks, although I do luncheon/charcuterie meat, korean short ribs, bbq (as slow cooked/smoked meat has been easy to digest) but I still get full and don't feel like eating more than that for the rest of the day (which again, only eat two meals a day at most).

9 minutes ago, Penguin733 said:

I've been unable to do rice (which is a shame since in my culture 90% of our food is rice based) and maybe because I ate too fast before but sandwiches have been a bit tough but I'll try again. Haven't tried Pasta since the surgery.

And I'm trying with the Protein through bars and shakes; haven't tried making porkchops and steaks, although I do luncheon/charcuterie meat, korean short ribs, bbq (as slow cooked/smoked meat has been easy to digest) but I still get full and don't feel like eating more than that for the rest of the day (which again, only eat two meals a day at most).

If I have bread with a meal, it not very big, maybe a half to quarter piece. Rice and Pasta, about a quarter cup. I like brown rice and whole wheat (or Protein pasta) pasta for the extra nutrition.

Are you drinking a lot of calories? Maybe that's contributing to not eating more than 2 meals.

Whatever you eat, just get in your protein goals and Fiber, and make sure to stay at your calorie goal.

7 minutes ago, LindsayT said:

If I have bread with a meal, it not very big, maybe a half to quarter piece. Rice and Pasta, about a quarter cup. I like brown rice and whole wheat (or Protein pasta) Pasta for the extra nutrition.

Are you drinking a lot of calories? Maybe that's contributing to not eating more than 2 meals.

Whatever you eat, just get in your Protein goals and Fiber, and make sure to stay at your calorie goal.

I only drink Water, body armor, and ensure Protein Shakes, so no not really drinking a lot of calories.

I've been having pretzel crackers with cheese and eating a lot cheese but just unlucky in it adding any weight...

3 minutes ago, Penguin733 said:

I only drink Water, body armor, and ensure Protein Shakes, so no not really drinking a lot of calories.

I've been having pretzel crackers with cheese and eating a lot cheese but just unlucky in it adding any weight...

If all else fails, maybe speak with a bariatric nutritionist for some advice. They'd be able to give you tailored suggestions. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Penguin733 said:

A Protein Shake is really a Meal Replacement so you are having more than a meal or two. And no, don’t load up on junky Snacks or empty calories. Look too foods that will add additional nutrients: fruit, complex carbs i.e. whole/multi grains, good fats like avocado & nuts, boiled egg, cheese stick, etc. Keep the deli/luncheon/charcuterie meats intake low too - highly processed, high salt & high fat, lower Protein. Better to buy a bbq/rotisserie chicken& package it up in single serves & eat that.

Give your body time to settle. It takes time for your body to work out what it needs to function effectively & for you to physically be able to eat appropriate sized portions & meals. My hunger didn’t really come back until about a year so after I reached goal at 6 months & it played a part in my continued weight loss. And it took a while to work out the calories I needed. When my weight first stabilised at around 18 months I was eating 1300 odd calories - it took me all that time to eat that much. At 4 years I was eating 1500/1600 & still maintaining much the same weight so it took that long for my body to work out what it really needed.

Your lowest weight may not be your final weight either. There’s the quite common 5-10lb bounce back regain around the 2 or 3 year mark. Or lifestyle choices may mean you settle a little higher. And finally, your goal weight might not be your body’s goal weight (your new set point). My new set point was 11kg/24lbs less than my goal.