Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does "full" feel like to you?



Recommended Posts

I'm a week out from surgery and have started on pureed food. I'm trying to figure out when I'm getting full without getting too full. Today I think I overdid it and it wasn't comfy at all! I get discomfort right between my breasts... the first few days after surgery, I was really sore there, and liquids hurt going down. They found a hiatal hernia and fixed that during surgery, and I figured that repair was causing the pain. But it's kind of in the same place where I get uncomfortable when I think I'm full. With that said... I'm curious about what full feels like to others.

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel "full" in the same way I did pre-surgery. I feel sort of uncomfortable pressure in my chest. I know when I feel that that I need to stop eating or I'm going to be sorry...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pressure in my esophagus and I get hiccups lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed a hiccup/belch type of thing that will happen as I get near the end of my meal that I think means I'm getting full. I've often had only one bite left at the first hiccup, and I've eaten it without any kind of pain, but maybe that means that was just the right amount for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may not feel full or feel full accurately for a while. You have to wait for your tummy & the nerves that were cut to be healed (around 8 weeks). It’s why sticking to the portions you were given vey important at this time & also the eat slowly. It takes at least 20 minutes for the full signal to get through (this is everyone not just us) so if you eat quickly you will have eaten way too much by the time the signal gets through.

You may feel some pressure or at worst the foamies if you eat too much now. Later you may develop the runny nose, hiccup, etc. signals. It will be a little while until you feel your restriction which is really the stop, stop, too much warning.

I only feel pressure if I’m full or something is sitting too heavily in my tummy. I also ask myself if I need the next bite or just want it because we should stop before we feel full. I also discovered my full signal can be really slow, up to an hour, so I usually take 30-45 mins to eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

You may not feel full or feel full accurately for a while. You have to wait for your tummy & the nerves that were cut to be healed (around 8 weeks). It’s why sticking to the portions you were given vey important at this time & also the eat slowly. It takes at least 20 minutes for the full signal to get through (this is everyone not just us) so if you eat quickly you will have eaten way too much by the time the signal gets through.

You may feel some pressure or at worst the foamies if you eat too much now. Later you may develop the runny nose, hiccup, etc. signals. It will be a little while until you feel your restriction which is really the stop, stop, too much warning.

I only feel pressure if I’m full or something is sitting too heavily in my tummy. I also ask myself if I need the next bite or just want it because we should stop before we feel full. I also discovered my full signal can be really slow, up to an hour, so I usually take 30-45 mins to eat.

Great information, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I don't feel "full" in the same way I did pre-surgery. I feel sort of uncomfortable pressure in my chest. I know when I feel that that I need to stop eating or I'm going to be sorry...

Same. I also get the hic ups sometimes.

They don't tell you its not a "normal" pre surgery full feeling, they should so we know what to expect. Then again most haven't gone through it who are dieticians/doctors. I just switched doctors (my old doctor decided to be inpatient only) and my new GP had bariatric surgery in 2019 (said she normally doesn't share personal info but figured it would be helpful) and she agreed, most of the bariatric journey isn't with practitioners who understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't wait to get signals a week after surgery. There's little or no feedback from our stomachs because all the nerves have been cut. Takes weeks or months to heal and tell you anything, and even then, as the others have said, the feeling of fullness can be really delayed.

I am 28 months post sleeve and I have just learned to eyeball what volume and mix of foods my stomach can manage, and usually stop a bit before that for safety's sake. If I go beyond that I get a runny nose and sneeze (Vagus nerve stimulation). By then it's too late though.

You'll learn how to manage as you go along. Just stick to small volumes at the start. At your stage you shouldn't be too hungry so you're just eating for fuel - treasure this time, it passes all too quickly. 😍

Stick strictly to the volumes you have been given. Weirdly I wasn't given any by my team so I asked for advice here and then stuck to THAT and it was very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry duplicate

Edited by Spinoza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And another :(

Edited by Spinoza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and I think I am just beginning to get the sensation of being "full" back. It definitely feels different than before VSG; it's more of a pressure in the area where my chest and abdomen meet than a feeling of fullness where my larger stomach used to be. I also get hiccups. Weird, but common, so it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get a runny nose and hiccups. The problem is my doctors says by the time I get a runny nose I've eaten too much. I find it a real struggle to get the right balance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i get the pressure in my chest also. also i notice that my heart rate increases. weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

i get the pressure in my chest also. also i notice that my heart rate increases. weird.

Same on heart rate! In fact I thought it was hypersensitivity to the few carbs I was having. My bariatric team had me wear a glucose meter for two weeks because of it. I wonder why the heart does this?

At second thought I felt maybe it was due to different stomach placement with in the thoracic cavity and I was just noticing it beating "as normal" and perhaps it always beats that fast, but my heart on average beats 68bpm. When I checked when full it raised to 90bpm.

I'm glad someone else experiences this as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

Same on heart rate! In fact I thought it was hypersensitivity to the few carbs I was having. My bariatric team had me wear a glucose meter for two weeks because of it. I wonder why the heart does this?

At second thought I felt maybe it was due to different stomach placement with in the thoracic cavity and I was just noticing it beating "as normal" and perhaps it always beats that fast, but my heart on average beats 68bpm. When I checked when full it raised to 90bpm.

I'm glad someone else experiences this as well!

i used to think it was mild dumping syndrome, but realized it was just me approaching fullness!

i had googled it way back when and while there are lots of reasons for it - and mostly all totally harmless - the common thread reason is that digestion requires blood to be sent to the stomach, which leads to the heart needing to pump a little harder to send it there. now why i never felt nor noticed it before, i dunno...lol

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ChunkCat

      Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jparadigm

      Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

      Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Dawn 1974

      4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jparadigm

      Today was rough...
      I've been experiencing a headache all day today that just won't go away. I'm thinking it's now progressing into a migraine. Does anyone else get headaches from taking vitamin B12? I did some research and learned that usually a lack of B12 causes headaches. But I've noticed when I take it, I have reoccurring headaches. 😫
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×