Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to get new clothes?!

17 hours ago, ms.sss said:

i was so excited to get new clothes i started buying around 3 months post op (even though i still had a horde of "skinny clothes" i could still wear that i kept all those years). and i continued to buy clothes here and there as i shrunk, and especially when i sized out of all my skinny clothes.

the clothes i bought only lasted maybe 3-4 weeks before they were too big to wear anymore. annoying yes, but i had sooo much fun shopping and wearing cute new stuff, i didn't mind so much.

though from a practical sense, i probably should have just bought more sparingly and focused on items that would last longer (think drawstings, wraps, belt-able items...and nothing structured or tailored-fit).

best tine to overhaul ur wardrobe would be when u have been in maintenance for a couple months....but then where's the fun in that??? 😂

oh! another question, I thought I read that you got plastic surgery? did you get your boobies done and if so did you top size go up? My goal is a Tummy Tuck and boobies

53 minutes ago, AmberFL said:

oh! another question, I thought I read that you got plastic surgery? did you get your boobies done and if so did you top size go up? My goal is a Tummy Tuck and boobies

yep, i had a Tummy Tuck, arm lift and breast lift back in 2019.

since i didn't get implants (just a lift) i didn't really go up a bra size, i pretty much stayed the same, so clothing wise, no change....BUT i did buy new bras anyway because my boobs fit bra's differently...for instance, i used to spill out of demi-cup bras pre-surgery cuz of all the loose skin, but afterwards i looked much better in them, an no longer needed "full coverage" bras to hold all my boob material in, haha.

Further, since after the breast lift, i go commando more often than not because the boobs stay up on their own now lol (which btw, is a total bonus for wearing those triangle bikini tops ;) )

Edited by ms.sss

39 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

yep, i had a Tummy Tuck, arm lift and breast lift back in 2019.

since i didn't get implants (just a lift) i didn't really go up a bra size, i pretty much stayed the same, so clothing wise, no change....BUT i did buy new bras anyway because my boobs fit bra's differently...for instance, i used to spill out of demi-cup bras pre-surgery cuz of all the loose skin, but afterwards i looked much better in them, an no longer needed "full coverage" bras to hold all my boob material in, haha.

Further, since after the breast lift, i go commando more often than not because the boobs stay up on their own now lol (which btw, is a total bonus for wearing those triangle bikini tops ;) )

okay that makes sense! oh sheesh A bikini? I don't know if that's even attainable or if I would have enough guts LOL

AmberFL, we are pretty close! I lost 26 pounds from August (Consultation visit) to preop in December, then about 10 pounds on the liquid diet. I've lost another 6 pounds since surgery last week. You've lost about the same and you haven't had surgery yet, way to go!!! I wonder what size I'll end up at and what style I'll decide I need to wear now.

10 hours ago, AmberFL said:

My undies are already getting to fit more comfy so I knew I will need to go on a undie and bra haul too! thank you!

I went through three sizes of new knickers & 3 sizes of bras. Gets expensive. Yikes! My advice is to do get properly fitted for bras. You may be surprised how much the shape of your boobs change. And yes empty breast are real but I see you’re thinking of having a breast lift in the future so empty boobs won’t be a long term thing for you.

3 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I went through three sizes of new knickers & 3 sizes of bras. Gets expensive. Yikes! My advice is to do get properly fitted for bras. You may be surprised how much the shape of your boobs change. And yes empty breast are real but I see you’re thinking of having a breast lift in the future so empty boobs won’t be a long term thing for you.

I have been wanting surgery after I finished breastfeeding my son, but my BMI is too high, so WLS will help with that!

My boobs are already empty and sad lol I breastfed two children for 16m each and they never recovered 😭 so I’m hoping the little I do have just stay put till I get surgery

5 months P.O. and I haven't bought new clothes yet. I luckily had some old clothes that fit, the rest are way big. Pants I wear a belt that pulls it all together. I am waiting until the 6 month mark to buy a few clothes. 156.2 pounds down total. 137 since pre op, and 117.2 since surgery.

I bought a few new pieces for work once I hit onderland, but for the most part I am still shopping from my closet. I am lucky my job allows us to wear jeans these days as I had many in various sizes that I couldn't bring myself to get rid of when I was obese. High school kids can be brutal so I don't wear anything that's too ill-fitting.

If I lose any more weight I'll need to buy new clothes sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to it.

5 hours ago, BigZ said:

5 months P.O. and I haven't bought new clothes yet. I luckily had some old clothes that fit, the rest are way big. Pants I wear a belt that pulls it all together. I am waiting until the 6 month mark to buy a few clothes. 156.2 pounds down total. 137 since pre op, and 117.2 since surgery.

absolutely amazing! great job!!

On 1/12/2024 at 10:08 PM, Arabesque said:

Bra sizing has been an irritating area for me. This is one of the main reasons PS (breast reduction) has been on my radar for a long time. Prior to becoming obese finding a bra in local stores was impossible because my ribcage size to cup size is not what makers/stores think is average. Stores rarely ever sold 30/32F. I had to settle for a larger band then alter the bra.

Add in the weight gain and loss (empty breast are definitely real) I'm waiting to see where I end up. Definitely need a lift.

4 hours ago, Amerime said:

Bra sizing has been an irritating area for me. This is one of the main reasons PS (breast reduction) has been on my radar for a long time. Prior to becoming obese finding a bra in local stores was impossible because my ribcage size to cup size is not what makers/stores think is average. Stores rarely ever sold 30/32F. I had to settle for a larger band then alter the bra.

Add in the weight gain and loss (empty breast are definitely real) I'm waiting to see where I end up. Definitely need a lift.

I was an 18E/40E & am a 10E/30E now & yes you’re right. It’s not easy to find anything larger than a D maybe DD cup especially in smaller band widths. Most brands are also too narrow in the cup for me so the underwire digs into the side of my breasts which is my biggest challenge. I’ve spent hours trying on every brand of bra & only one really fits well. Of course it’s a more expensive one ($120+++ US). Sigh!

On 1/15/2024 at 10:29 PM, Arabesque said:

I was an 18E/40E & am a 10E/30E now & yes you’re right. It’s not easy to find anything larger than a D maybe DD cup especially in smaller band widths. Most brands are also too narrow in the cup for me so the underwire digs into the side of my breasts which is my biggest challenge. I’ve spent hours trying on every brand of bra & only one really fits well. Of course it’s a more expensive one ($120+++ US). Sigh!

Lol, you are right, the ones that fit always seem to be more expensive. I Tried on an old 32F yesterday, the cup fit good after getting all the "boob material" in- thanks ms.sss for the new reference, <3. A 30 will fit better. I want to wait til after PS to get new bras but I'm running out of options.

My daughter sent me a link last night to an Amazon bra in the correct band and cup size that was around $30-35. The price is interesting. Quality? who knows.

Can’t help with the Amazon, but I wear Bonds/Hanes bralettes around the house. The ones I wear have some shaping which I find better for my larger cup needs. I keep my proper bras for when out in public & need good support. I started this when losing so I only needed to buy 2 good proper bras (black & nude) at each stage so not as expensive.

I bought my clothes in stages through the years. Most of my pants that are too big are still really cute with a belt. I like oversized clothes overall. I use one of those adjustable no show belts (even under sweaters) that work with everything. I forgot the name off the belt but I really love it.

The hardest is finding a good bra through the stages. I have a zillion bras in so many sizes and keep them in a big bag. I don't know what to do with them lol.

I bought my clothes in stages through the years. Most of my pants that are too big are still really cute with a belt. I like oversized clothes overall. I use one of those adjustable no show belts (even under sweaters) that work with everything. I forgot the name off the belt but I really love it.

The hardest is finding a good bra through the stages. I have a zillion bras in so many sizes and keep them in a big bag. I don't know what to do with them lol.