Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yoga for seniors

Since I'm having such a hard time losing weight, my PA suggested I try yoga. I've never done yoga . I always laughed at it saying people like tying themselves in knots ..LOL. Now I might have to look into it seriously. I would have to do gentle chair yoga as my 69 year old joints are pretty stiff. I looked at some U Tube videos, and it seems like easy stretches. Can you tell me what yoga can actually do for me? Does it help with weight loss? She also suggested strength training . In all honesty ,I've never been one to do "formal" exercises ... but I'm willing to try different things at this point .

Yoga is amazing when you have a great teacher and you take care of your body in the process. I'm not into performance yoga but I did private classes with an instructor for Yin Yoga (also called "restorative yoga") for several years, it is fantastic for chronic pain and really helped my arthritis and fibro. In Yin/restorative yoga you rest in poses for 10-15 minutes at a time, it is very gentle. One pose held like that has the same effect as holding that pose for a shorter time, 7 days in a row. This is because the muscle fatigues itself and resets, so you get more mobility and pain relief. It is very gentle and uses a lot of props like folded blankets and blocks. The classes are usually small and the instructors usually help with modifications if you have limited range of motion.

Chair yoga is very beneficial too, I've done a fair bit of it. The good aspects of yoga are that it brings increased range of motion, pain relief, better balance, stress relief, a calmer mind, less anxiety, stronger muscles without having to get your heart rate way up, and you get those nice endorphins. It also changes your body composition, you'll look thinner, leaner, longer, more smoothed out. I got a lot of compliments when I was doing it regularly and I was 250 lbs so it wasn't like I was a tiny thing either. I still incorporate some of the poses in my daily activities, like Tree pose when I'm standing at the sink or stove. LOL

It can give a boost to your metabolism and help you lose weight, but the best thing it does for the body is increases blood flow to areas that might not get as much oxygenated blood due to stagnation from set body patterns.

Bed yoga is also a thing! You can do it in the morning and in the evening right in your soft, cushy bed! It helps you get ready for the day more limber, I have arthritis that is systemic and ankylosing spondylitis so I need all the help stretching in the morning as I can get. It also helps with sleep in the evening. I think your doctor's advice is good. Yoga doesn't have to be the crazy "stand on your head" performance art you see in mainstream classes with skinny 20somethings. It can benefit every body.

If you don't jive with it you can try Tai Chi! YouTube has a lot of great videos for Tai Chi for all beginner levels. It is great for longevity and is a better workout than you'd think by just watching it!

WOW Chunk Cat ......I never knew ANY of that ! I guess no one ever explained it to me .When people say "yoga" I always picture the stick thin people on tv in crazy poses and wonder why they are torturing themselves. ...LOL You convinced me that I seriously might have to give it a try . Now that winter is here, my walking will really be decreased ,so that might be a good project to start on. Have you seen "Goat Yoga ? " ...I'll have Dog Yoga - they'll be thinking mom's rolling around wanting to play LOL ! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that to me - my old body appreciates it ((hugs))

Yoga is great. Did it for years in my 40s - can’t remember which type but it was gentle & focussed on breathing & head/heart/body alignment. Kept me limber & boosted my general fitness. I enjoyed it & I really, really don’t like exercise.

Just a warning. Exercise only contributes to about 10% of any weight you are to lose. So don’t expect it to benefit your weight loss greatly. It does help with many other things though like your cardiac health, muscle strength, bone density, flexibility, etc.

Invest in some resistance bands too. Lots of seated stretches on You Tube you can do sitting. I do most of mine on the floor. Good for toning & muscle building. It’s not a great pxt but gives you a bit of an idea of what you can achieve. Now it’s summer here & my arms are on show I’ve been getting lots of compliments. My legs look pretty good too though my pant legs are getting firm LOL!

IMG_1012.thumb.jpeg.d964f978de638f8b23bb8b5b7e771984.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Invest in some resistance bands too. Lots of seated stretches on You Tube you can do sitting. I do most of mine on the floor. Good for toning & muscle building. It’s not a great pxt but gives you a bit of an idea of what you can achieve. Now it’s summer here & my arms are on show I’ve been getting lots of compliments. My legs look pretty good too though my pant legs are getting firm LOL!

That is an encouraging picture!! I am not a huge gym fan and prefer to do most of my stuff at home or at a private studio one-on-one. I love resistance bands and was wondering if it would be enough for strength training. Your arms have great definition, I would have assumed you were using weights regularly!

4 hours ago, KathyLev said:

WOW Chunk Cat ......I never knew ANY of that ! I guess no one ever explained it to me .When people say "yoga" I always picture the stick thin people on tv in crazy poses and wonder why they are torturing themselves. ...LOL You convinced me that I seriously might have to give it a try . Now that winter is here, my walking will really be decreased ,so that might be a good project to start on. Have you seen "Goat Yoga ? " ...I'll have Dog Yoga - they'll be thinking mom's rolling around wanting to play LOL ! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that to me - my old body appreciates it ((hugs))

I love goat yoga!! LOL I have cat yoga...they think it is the best thing ever.

A lot of people have misconceptions about yoga thanks to TV and stereotypes. But there are actually a number of yoga styles that are gentle and focus more on the mind/body/spirit connection and toning the body than they do on acrobatics. I'm so glad the explanation helped! I was rather ignorant of all that until a friend who has some of the same conditions I do and is a yoga teacher advised me to find a Yin/Restorative teacher in my area and do some sessions with her. It made me incredibly aware of how Type A I am and how even with illnesses and disability I go through my day pushing to get things done and have a hard time resting. I did 90 minute classes and would often fall asleep in a pose because my mind quieted down and I was finally still. I really want to get back into it, when I'm doing it I feel much stronger.

Arabesque - you have great looking arms ! ( Thanks for the pic ! ) My arms are like flabby noodles - no strength at all. I keep telling myself I'll build up muscle this winter when I shovel snow ( ugh ) but I'd much rather be in a warm house with some music on and doing stretches ! I think I'll do some digging around in U tube and get myself set up with some beginner yoga/stretches now that I know what it's all about. I don't expect to lose weight doing it,but it'll keep my mind off of eating ;) Thanks again ,Ladies - this is sure going to confuse my dogs !!!! LOL

I'd look into yin yoga or restorative yoga for starters (yin is a little more active, but not much). Both are easy on the joints, and you'll find a lot of older people or people with mobility issues in those classes (although good idea to start with YouTube videos just to see if you like them). I did yoga for years - starting even before I had surgery (in fact, I spent a month in India on a yoga trip) - have been away from it for awhile but really should go back, esp now that I'm getting older and really need the stretching. But yes - I'd start with yin or restorative.

P.S. this article explains the difference between the two, but either would be a good starting place (and you may just stick with these styles for life - I personally would struggle with the more athletic styles of yoga at this point (I'm in my 60s with joint issues and osteoporosis), so I will also stick with these if/when I go back to doing yoga).

https://www.yogarenewteachertraining.com/the-difference-between-yin-and-restorative-yoga

Edited by catwoman7

Oh I still have tuck shop lady arms @KathyLev but you can really only see the loose skin if I raise & wave my arms about. Forgot to add I do my stretches & such in short bursts across the day. It all adds up & you may find it easier to manage than a single 30 or more minute session.

Actually @ChunkCat someone who knows my dislike of gyms asked me suspiciously & a tad accusingly if I was now going to the gym because of my arms. Lol!

That proves you don't have to go to a fancy ( and expensive ! ) gym to get results ! I like the idea of doing stretches and exercises in short bursts instead of one session. I'm actually getting excited about exercising now :) I think my vaccuum is going to be my first workout partner today ..... gotta start off slow,ya know ..... ;)

If you ever get the opportunity to do yoga with baby goats, do not pass it up. You will get very little actual yoga out of it, but you will get to spend time with baby goats romping around in diapers! I really can't imagine a better way to spend an hour.