Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did regain start?

Hey there veterans!

I'm 18 months post-op, in maintenance for 9 months. My weight has remained rock solid stable with maybe a 1 lbs. regain. I'm very pleasantly surprised... and... I don't want to be lulled into complacency.

For those of you who have had significant regain, when did your regain start? What do you think led to the regain?

Thank you for your insight.

for most people it seems to start up in year 3. It did for me. I put on about 15 lbs pretty quickly. I think part of it is old habits sneaking. back in, and part of it is metabolic readjustment. It's not inevitable, but it seems to happen to most of us

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

part of it is metabolic readjustment

This is interesting. It seems to me that maintenance for me right now has more to do with metabolic adjustment than straight CICO. I notice that no matter what/how I eat, my weight remains stable.

That's not to say that I'm indulging in garbage food, eating large quantities, etc... but my weight doesn't seem to depend strictly on what I'm eating. It seems that my body has arrived at a set point that it's trying to maintain.

My weight pre-op was also rock solid stable. No matter what I ate, I hovered around 235 for most of my adult life. I'm curious if the same dynamic will apply to this new weight.

Not everyone experiences a bounce back regain. And not everyone experiences a larger regain. If it does happen there’s often a reason: complacency/&or bad habits returning, a too restrictive way of eating, lifestyle changes, medical/health issues, emotional issues, settling of your weight, …

I had a regain of a good two kgs (about 5lbs) rather quickly a few months into my second year so earlier than the usual 3rd year. Didn’t gain any more. Wasn’t happy but was accepting it. Couldn’t really put my finger on why. No dietary changes, no activity changes during that time. But what I did have was a gall removal at 25 months which caused an Protein absorption issue. Then almost at the three year mark we realised the gall removal also stopped me absorbing my HRT & caused other issues. Went from a tablet to a patch & slowly but surely I lost a good kilo of that regain over 6 months +/-. I’ve been sitting pretty stable again for about 6 months or so.

I keep an eye on the scales, monitor my portions, watch my food choice & fingers crossed I continue to remain stable.

Edited by Arabesque

we all probably have different definitions of what constitutes a "significant" regain or what is considered "quick" in regaining that amount.

further to that, we are all different weights and sizes so a regain of 10-15 lbs means very different things to someone who is 100 lbs vs someone who is 150 lbs vs someone who is 200 lbs

with that said, i "regained" about 9-ish lbs in about a year starting around 1 year post op.

HOWEVER: this was from my lowest weight of 109 around 1 year post op....and i wasn't there long. i "regained" to 115-ish and stayed there for several months, then hung around 118-ish for a couple years. going up or down 3 or so lbs with daily fluctuations, but my moving average stayed basically at the stated weights.

i'll be exactly 5 years post op in a few weeks and i have been closer to 120-ish for the past 1-2 years. this morning i weighed in at 116.6 (but this is a bit of an anomaly for me as i recently lost a couple lbs by quitting smoking...but that is another story, ha!)

anyway, i feel like i digressed a bit there, but the point i was trying to get to is that in MY experience i am strictly CICO. i gain when i eat more than my maintenance cals*, and i lose when i eat less...and i have 5 years of of My Fitness Pal food logs and body weight measurements to prove it.

*i have been operating on a maintenance cals amt of about 1800 a day for a couple years now.

Lol 5 years of my fitness pal . Me too! it’s crazy to see the fluctuations thru the years.. goal weight of 115. . Went down to 90 lbs. then went back to 110. And 115. I hover around 110. This scares me. is this a stall waiting to come for another big weightloss

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches