Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will Someone Kick my Ass, Please?

So, Im supposed to be on 4 weeks of Clear liquids post op. I am going on my 9th day Post op, and so far...so good....

but....

I just had 2 tablespoons of fat free refried Beans. I was starving for some Protein. Im wondering if I really screwed up, or stretched my pouch.

I guess Im in need of a pep talk so i wont cheat again...

:) Someone brought in doughnuts today at work...I took one.

Then, went to my desk, tore it in half and threw that in the trash.

Then, I took the rest and tore it in half, and threw 1/2 away.

I took a bite and then realized, "WTH am I doing???" I spit the bite out and threw the rest of the doughnut away.

Sometimes you're going to be weak and others strong. It's not about ALWAYS being good...but being good more than bad.

Sorry - I'm not good at pep talks, but I can share my own obsession with food (Hmmm doughnuts.)

4 weeks Clear Liquids? Did your doc say where you are supposed to be getting your protien?

I am a little skeptical, forgive me. Do you have that in writing? My doc says 4 DAYS clear liquids and then 3 weeks full liquids.

There are places where you can get clear protien. I ordered some stuff today that is "see through", so I know it is out there. Did your doc give you sources where you are to get your nurishment?

My suggestion I guess would be to drink a LOT of Water. I don't think I could still be on clear liquids. You're stronger than I if you've done it for 9!

I'm not suggesting you go against your doctor's orders. I'd follow his rules. I just want you to know that I couldn't do it so you shouldn't feel bad for your moment of weakness.

Good luck.

Steph

well, if the protien shakes are getting a little much (because after two weeks of them I couldn't hardly stomach mine anymore), I did find a site with some samples of other stuff. I got my order today but didn't try anything yet. Thought I would have some Protein for Breakfast tomorrow. There were tons more flavors than those stupid shakes come in. Hopefully they aren't as thick.

When I get my Protein I stay full longer. I'm not GREAT at getting it in though. In my job I don't seem to be able to do that OR the amount of Water. I just forget to drink. All of a sudden it's noon and I haven't had even 10 oz yet. That is what is frustrating me.

Keep getting your protein. Hopefully that will help. I know that at this point I just want to CHEW something. I miss chewing. I LOVE chewing. I haven't been perfect on my post-op because I just have to chew sometimes....and I can't spit it out after I've chewed it!

Learn fro what triggered this response and try to keep yourself out of that situation again. Sometimes easier said than done, but if you don't put yourself in the position, you may find it not nearly as difficult to resist.

Let us know how you're doing.

Steph

Steph, Im in the same boat...Its hard for me to get my Water in too, because im paranoid about drinking too fast, too much, stretching my pouch..ect...

I do have a question about your shakes, though....When I make mine, I put 4 oz of Water and 2 scoops of Protein mix (i use the Body Fortress) and i sip that..and when i say sip, i take a sip..wait 3-4 mins, take another sip..wait...ect...

Do you do that? IF not, how do you do it? and how do you get your water in?

It seems like it takes me 2 hours sometimes, just to finish a glass of water, because I either forget, or drink slow..

Oh, and in regards to chewing...I wonder how SF candy would do? i mean, im not sure if that's "allowed" per se...but i dont see how it could be bad..

Sheila,

I bought the premade shakes from slimfast and Atkins. They were easier for me because I could just take and go. In the mornings I have a 10 month old and a 3 year old to get ready and the last think I want to do is work on getting a shake ready. So I went the lazy way. They are super thick and they take me forever to get down. I actually bought some other stuff at the store the other day that was much thinner and had 10g Protein in 8 oz. It tastes pretty good and much easier to drink. I'm on my third bottle of that. One a day gets me 42 g. I know it's not ideal but it's better than I was doing with the shakes.< /p>

These new things mix with Water or milk. 4 of the samples are ready to drink so I'm skeptical that they will be any better than the others. What I'm banking on is the claim on the website that they only sell protien that is WONDERFUL and easy to drink. No matter what it can't get worse than atkins. The pack also came with this really cool cup that I can't wait to try. (I love gadgets!)

As for chewing my nutritionist said SF gum is okay, and SF candy only if it has less than 30 cal. per serving and I can't find one of those around. I have been having tic tacs though every now and then. The problem with gum for me is I really need to go get a cavity fixed and chewing is painful because of it. Dentist at the end of January.

As far as drinking Water (when I manage to) I drink a mouthful and wait a few minutes. As long as I can't "feel" it I figure I'm okay. Since I'm on day 14 I think most of the swelling has gone away and the water will go straight through. If I can "feel" it though, I wait a few minutes until it passes. I can't explain the feeling. I told DH that it's like I feel like a funnel and the water is backed up a bit waiting for it's turn. Not that it's stuck, but that the pipe is smaller a bit. I haven't had that feeling in about 4 days though. I think my swelling is gone and liquid just passes on through.

Good luck with the liquids. I'll let you know about the nectar and stuff. I'm dying to have something I "love" for a change. Just different will be a step in the right direction I think.

Talk to you soon. It's bedtime.

Steph

Steph, Im in the same boat as you, Each morning I take my 7 year old to school, so i have to pack up my 2 year old and 4 month old, just for the 10 min drive...which is when i usually drink my shakes...

Ill have to try the Protein you're talking about...

And yes, i think I know the funnel feeling you're talking about....

I cant wait till we get all these quirks figured out.. :)

I have posted this somewhere before, but I will put it here for you. You will need to substitute the fluids you are allowed as I was allowed full fluids after 3 days, but this might give you an idea on how to get all your fluids (sorry its in metric but I am an Aussie).

Danna

On Waking Sip 100-120mls Supradyn mixture over about 10-15 mins

Breakfast 240 mls Sustagen made on Water. Sip 120 mils over 10-15

mins, wait half an hour and the sip the second 120 mls over 10-15 mins.

Morning Tea 120 mls juice over 10-15 mins

120 mls cup of tea or coffee using at least 60mls low fat milk

lunch 120 mls runny Soup made with half milk/half Water eg Tomato

120mls Sustagen sipped over 10-15 mins

Afternoon Tea SAME AS MORNING TEA

dinner 120 mls runny Soup eg pumpkin or chicken

120 mls runny custard over 1/2 hour (Pauls trim custard)

Supper Drink the rest of the sustagen about 240 mls in the same manner

as breakfast

NOTE You may still have a little low fat milk left to drink and you

have at least 2 more hours of drinking. 240 mls each hour to reach

your level of 2 litres of Fluid daily.

Remember to use the free fluids like water, tea/coffee and low joule

cordials to make up total volume.

Daily Intake 1500-2000 Mills daily

600 mls sustagen - Calories

120 mls liquid Vitamins - no calories (Supradyn)

240 mls fruit juice - pear, apple prune, Orange ,pineapple - Calories

360 mls reduced fat milk - drink plain or make runny custards or add

to soup -

Calories

If desired

60 mls drinking yoghurt - some calorie value

sip as desired - vegetable juice - V8 or tomato

sip as desired - vegemite broth - add 1 teaspoon to mug hot water

Constipation add 50 mls prune, apple or pear juice daily

Sheila... according to my doc... LapBand is NOT designed to work with liquids. Liquids can and will run directly through the hole. Sipping slowly in a technique we are learning to keep us from gorging!!!!!

yes, you are still very much in the healing stage.... but taking a nibble now and then is how you will get through this. My family had pizza last night. I knew I couldn't have any but I did pick at a few small tiny bites of saucy cheese!!! Oh so good!!!

As far as liquids are concerned... I am not your doctor but I can't see why any liquid wouldn't be ok????

Weight Wathers makes smoothies in strawberry with 5g of Protein. They are great, watery, and I have been having them for lunch.

Hope this helps!!!

I completely agree! Isopure tastes like kool-aid. You can order at GNC.com and have it delivered right to your door. I am supposed to drink one of these bottles every day- Gives me 40g Protein. There are many different flavors so I haven't been bored yet. I am also on 4 weeks clear liquids!