Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who really can't stand artificial sweeteners and Stevia?

Hello! I am new to this website and I would love some advice! I am hoping to be having surgery in November or December this year. I unfortunately am a picky eater (and drinker!) and am not a fan of the artificial sweeteners and stevia. I have tried a bunch of Protein powders and drinks, and I am struggling to find one that I can drink! 😥 I LOVE Bocha Sweet and don't mind erythritol and Lakanto Monk Fruit seems to be just fine! I am REALLY struggling to find protein powders and drinks that I can use following surgery to get through the initial post op period. Does anyone have any recommendations, either for store bought ideas or recipes that I can use with the zero calorie sweeteners I do like? Thank you all so much in advance for your ideas and help! 😊

Have you considered unflavored Protein Powder? You can add it to Water or even sprinkle it on food or Jello. Depending on what your dietician at the clinic where you have surgery says, you likely will be able to have a broth of some sort, since those are more savory that might be perfect for you and you could add unflavored Protein powder to that as well just to boost the protein.

Have you considered unflavored Protein powder? You can add it to Water or even sprinkle it on food or Jello. Depending on what your dietician at the clinic where you have surgery says, you likely will be able to have a broth of some sort, since those are more savory that might be perfect for you and you could add unflavored protein powder to that as well just to boost the protein.

Thanks so much!! Do have any particular brand recommendations? My nutritionist did just suggest the same thing. I just wish my taste buds weren’t so darn picky 😞.

Unjury Protein Soups are my recommendation. I'm currently 5 days into a 14 day liquid diet and the soups are a life-saver. I don't like artificial sweeteners either and unjury has saved me when i would rather be hungry than have another shake 😂 My surgeon recommended the brand.

7 hours ago, curlygirl74 said:

Thanks so much!! Do have any particular brand recommendations? My nutritionist did just suggest the same thing. I just wish my taste buds weren’t so darn picky 😞.

I am not very picky, but I have Isopure unflavored Protein powder.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:42 PM, curlygirl74 said:

Hello! I am new to this website and I would love some advice! I am hoping to be having surgery in November or December this year. I unfortunately am a picky eater (and drinker!) and am not a fan of the artificial sweeteners and stevia. I have tried a bunch of Protein powders and drinks, and I am struggling to find one that I can drink! 😥 I LOVE Bocha Sweet and don't mind erythritol and Lakanto Monk Fruit seems to be just fine! I am REALLY struggling to find Protein powders and drinks that I can use following surgery to get through the initial post op period. Does anyone have any recommendations, either for store bought ideas or recipes that I can use with the zero calorie sweeteners I do like? Thank you all so much in advance for your ideas and help! 😊

Have you tried the Fairlife Core Power or even the Nutrition Plan shakes? I prefer them over most Protein Shakes because it has the least aftertaste and is mainly actual milk based. Taste to me like chocolate milk or a melted vanilla ice cream cone.

I know many love the Isopure Unflavored Protein powder - i was unfortunately not a fan and obvi not for the sweetener as it does not have any - but the milk powder almost infant formula taste wasn't it for me. I think I'm in the minority lol, so you should be fine.

I would get the drinks with the sweetener of your choice and just add the unflavored Protein to them, or brew tea and add the erythritol to it, then add the protein powder.

I hate artificial sweeteners but I have decided part of my journey to surgery is learning to tolerate them as this is a lifelong change and I don't do well with sugar alcohols like erythritol. My surgeon requires the 2 week pre surgery liver reduction diet to be done with the Premier Protein premade shakes and those are sucralose based... I think I have like 10 flavors of them now. LOL I still cringe with the first few sips but having them ice cold helps. With Fruit Drinks I find a sour component helps cut the artificial taste and sometimes watering them down more than the package states. I like adding cold brew coffee concentrate to the shakes, the bitter component balances out the sweetness. I'll have to get Decaf for after surgery! But really, the pumpkin spice flavored one with coffee concentrate makes a pretty decent pumpkin spice latte!

18 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

the Premier Protein premade shakes and those are sucralose based... I think I have like 10 flavors of them now. LOL I still cringe with the first few sips but having them ice cold helps.

Those are the ONLY shakes you can use??? I have tried to get down with them since they are popular and found all over the place including costco, but I just can't get past the taste. Something about it makes me cringe even at it's coldest and even in coffee. I feel the same about the Ensure Max as well.

I can somehow somewhat tolerate the Quest vanilla and just ordered some Pure Protein in chocolate to try it out.

It's wicked expensive, but Ka'Chava Protein Shakes are sweetened with coconut flower nectar, which does add a bit of sugar but within the guidelines I was given (I was told no more than 10g sugar per serving, and calories no higher than 10x the grams of Protein, so ). I haven't tried it yet but did order a bag. I've also ordered a sample pack of Truvani protein powder flavors to try. Those are sweetened with Monk Fruit, and also on the pricey side, but made without artificial ingredients which appeals to me. I've been trying so hard for the past several months to clean up my nutrition and get rid of artificial stuff, so it pains me to think I will be spending months drinking shakes filled with artificial junk.

Thank you all so much- you’ve given me hope that I have some options to try!!

I just had surgery this past week, but for the last 6 months or so I have been adding Quest on flavored Protein powder to everything liquid that I could think of. I put it in Soups and make shakes with it but then add my own flavors because I also cannot stand artificial stuff. It's a pretty cheap option and get your protein in plus doesn't spike insulin or blood sugars.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:29 PM, New To This23 said:

Have you considered unflavored Protein Powder? You can add it to Water or even sprinkle it on food or Jello. Depending on what your dietician at the clinic where you have surgery says, you likely will be able to have a broth of some sort, since those are more savory that might be perfect for you and you could add unflavored Protein powder to that as well just to boost the Protein.

i bought an expensive unflavored protein powder and believe me, you do not want to add it to plain water!!! YUCK!!!

Allulose. Its a rare sugar that naturally occurs in fruits like figs and raisins. “It’s about 70% as sweet as sugar. Allulose is a monosaccharide so it doesn't act like sugar by altering insulin/glucose blood readings and doesn't have that artificial taste.

Also, like with any sugar/substitute start out with small quantities but most people who eat allulose in moderation won’t notice any issues.

I hope this help. I purchased a bag, dipped my finger in it and had my husband try it - no artificial taste at all!

Lastly, I just buy whey isolate - the highest quality there is on bulksupplements.com and add it to everything (including my crystal light), Soups, broths..etc., so I get my Protein without the "protein drinks"! It has no flavor and very little smell if any.

Thank you so much!!! I actually just bought some a week ago and made a chocolate flourless cake with it- I would have sworn it was real sugar!! So tasty! Incredible product and did not cause any dumping or problems! (I only had a teeny weeny slice). I agree with the whey Protein too- I tried some flavored and I just can’t do the artificial sweeteners- even the stevia causes issue! Thank you for taking the time to write- I really appreciate it!