Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band: Am I Crazy to Consider It?

There are still a few surgeons in the midwest that do lap band surgery. They say there has been great advancements and improvements. I am considering this less favored option because I supported my sister through an agonizing DS that slowly tortured her for 5 years until she passed shortly after a 2nd correction attempt. Countless doctors and nurses over the years looking after her in ICU said they wished they would stop doing GS and DS because there is not much that can be done when things go wrong. So the band is the only option I will consider.

I am post menopausal and since starting sleep apnea treatment, I've gained even more weight and have a current bmi of 35. With diet and exercise I plateau and cant seem to lose more than 30 lbs.

While there seems to limited weight loss as well as frequent complications with the Band, at least they seem to be correctable. Does anyone have any words of wisdom as I consider this?

Edited by Rjc0704

First, I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. That is heartbreaking.

Every person I know that had a Lap Band had it fail and had a VSG done. Even as recently as 2 years ago with the Band, and it caused a lot of complications. She had it removed with her VSG last year and couldn't be happier.

A friend had hers done in 2006 and it was an hour away for adjustments. She said the number of times she made that trip in agony was not worth the surgery. Yes, it was a long time ago. The adjustments are still necessary, though, so it's something to keep in mind.

My original plan in 2016 was a Band. I liked that it was reversible and I'd already had 2 open abdominal surgeries. Life happened and only last year after 2 moves did I have insurance that covered surgery - but not the band.

To me, it speaks volumes that insurance companies are no longer covering it - which means they're losing a ton of money covering complications (I work in medical billing) and the number of surgeons no longer offering it is increasing. In my opinion, the risks of the band far outweigh the benefits, now.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. :(

I had a bypass, so I still have all my parts. Technically, it's reversible, if something goes wrong.

I don't know much about the latest advances in lap band technology. But, if you and your doctor think it's a good option for you, then I'd say go for it. You can always have it removed, if it doesn't work.

Sorry about your loss my friend.

The two people I know that had the lap band, had to have them removed. (Also they are both heavy today).

The people I know with the Sleeve, look skinny and are doing well. (albeit one died, but it was due to bullet wounds)

When I researched all the different surgeries, too me, the Sleeve seems to make the most sense. I think its a good thing that they don't touch the entry and exit to the stomach. I think either of those parts being altered could cause a lot of problems...i'm not a doctor, but as an engineer it make sense to me.

I think the lap band location is problematic for your body, and the entrance to your stomach. IMHO the gastric sleeve seems to be the best thing until that day, they can create a medicine that changes your genetics to permanently not allow your body to retain body fat, and instead you flushed extra calories as waste.

Edited by Inspectorjh84

So sorry for the loss of your sister & I understand why this would be influencing your considering lap band.

There are reasons why so few surgeons do lap bands anymore even with the supposed advances. All surgeries have risks & potential for post surgical complications. Weight loss surgery risks & complications though are quite low in comparison to many other commonly done surgeries.(I remember reading the appendectomies stats are higher.) Ask your surgeon for the stats & experiences with their patients across all weight loss surgeries. .

Bypass might be an option as @Jeanniebug said it is possible to reverse. Like sleeve, the average weight loss with bypass is about 65% of the weight you have to lose. It’s only 50% with lap band. (Remember averages only give you an idea. Some lose more while others less as many factors influence your loss.)

But you have to do what is most right for you. All the best whatever you decide.

I'm so sorry you had to go through such a harrowing experience with your sister. Experiences like these can shape our decisions, and I can understand your concerns.

I personally lived with the lap band for 15 years. Over the years, it slipped twice, eventually eroded, and had to be removed. While it did help me maintain my weight, it was uncomfortable and caused other health issues, and in hindsight, it's not something I would recommend given my experience.

That being said, it's clear you're considering the lap band due to your specific circumstances and past experiences. If you're set on going forward with the band, you might want to wait a little longer for a new option on the horizon. ReShape has recently submitted a Premarket Approval (PMA) to the FDA for a next-generation lap band, known as Lap Band 2.0. I saw it firsthand at ASMBS in Las Vegas recently, and it addresses some of the issues associated with the original band.

Wishing you all the best in your journey.

I would never even consider a Lapband. So many people have had theirs removed because of complications. VSG and RNY are both proven, excellent surgeries (DS is not nearly as common - and yes, there tend to be more complications with it. So sorry about your sister!). I'd go with one of the proven ones (VSG or RNY) - both are excellent surgeries with few complications - and any complications that do crop up tend to be minor and "fixable".

The people I know who got the lapband failed spectacularly. They all regained their weight and added more.

I am so Anti-LAP Band. I had a Lap band in 2010. From the beginning, I told my surgeon that I was experiencing pain and it didn't feel right. He always said it was normal and got me out of his office as quickly as possible. A couple of years in, I started looking for another doctor to check it out for me. From what to me appears to be a professional disinterest in the medical community here (at least 10 years ago anyway) in following up behind a fellow doctor and likely finding a problem (can anyone say "I won't give basis for a malpractice suit against you if you do the same for me"?). I was unable to find a single gastro doctor who would see me to investigate a problem or to assure me there was no problem. No one would see me. Then I tried lying and saying I just moved to the area and needed to find a new doctor. That would fall through as soon as I was unable to provide my previous doctor's name so they could get my records. All that aside, in 2015 I was admitted to the local emergency room for extreme gastric distress. Emergency surgery was performed and the lap band was removed. From the inside of my stomach. I ended up with partial gastroparesis (my lower stomach was paralyzed).

So, don't do it. Run, don't walk, as far and as fast as you can from any doctor who thinks it's a good idea. I have been told that none of the hospitals in our area will do them any more.

21 hours ago, Rjc0704 said:

There are still a few surgeons in the midwest that do lap band surgery. They say there has been great advancements and improvements. I am considering this less favored option because I supported my sister through an agonizing DS that slowly tortured her for 5 years until she passed shortly after a 2nd correction attempt. Countless doctors and nurses over the years looking after her in ICU said they wished they would stop doing GS and DS because there is not much that can be done when things go wrong. So the band is the only option I will consider.

I am post menopausal and since starting sleep apnea treatment, I've gained even more weight and have a current bmi of 35. With diet and exercise I plateau and cant seem to lose more than 30 lbs.

While there seems to limited weight loss as well as frequent complications with the Band, at least they seem to be correctable. Does anyone have any words of wisdom as I consider this?

If you won't consider GS or DS, why not bypass? I got the sleeve and had A LOT of complications. I just got a revision from sleeve to bypass on June 28th, so there ARE things that can be done for the sleeve if there's an issue. Why is the bypass off the table?

Pals,

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and wisdom. You have given me so much to think about that I have decided to cancel my consult scheduled next week. Very true that the experience my sister endured has a major influence on my hesitancy.

You've also shared information I did not know about, such as the bypass may be reversible and the Reshape vest that may be an option down the road. I've also read posts where people with Bands had complications and suffered for weeks and months before their issues were addressed.

Thanks for sharing and helping me realize I need to hit the pause button! Happy Independence Day!

Lap banded about eleven years now. If I had to make this decision over I would still choose it. It’s life changing and that means it’s not all about loosing weight. You actually have to think about what you are eating and why you are eating. I’m amazed that the most difficult thing I found along the way , is how often I wanted to eat but realizing I was not even hungry. I really had a learning curve with my obsessive thoughts about food. Once this mental battle was over, living with the band has been mostly easy. In retrospect, I would have a Suport system in place, know that food will not be a social activity, but, once you reach your target weight- amazing. It’s important you can have access to a doctor who will continue to make adjustments when needed, because it’s not just once and done. I love being active, shopping for clothes is so simple since I can take measurements and the size always fits. dinner parties are difficult for me because unless you tell everyone, people will inevitably comment on how little you eat, including servers. While I consider this a permanent band, I’m also aware it can be removed unlike other gastric surgery. So, do I think you are crazy? No. It’s your decision, no one else’s. Best of luck and be well!