Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about DS, talking myself out of it

I have taken two of my three classes and I think I have more questions than answers. My first thought sitting through these classes is "If I could comply with all of these nutrition requirements and restrictions, I don't think I would need surgery". I am scared that I am going to make my life miserable by altering my digestive tract and then not being able to stick to the diet and causing all sorts of problems.

My other issue is that I do not have an office job. I am outdoors, mobile, and never know which direction I will need to go. The other day it occurred to me that I drove 4 different vehicles before lunch. I don't know how I would be able to keep up with Vitamins and supplements short of a fanny pack. Also, I had to drive the other day for 8 hours in a remote area and there was no food option available (I was on a tractor). The last thing I need is to pass out behind the wheel.

Am I over-thinking, or are these legitimate concerns? I have all but talked myself out of this procedure

I don't have the DS but I have the RNY but the nutritional requirements are as easy as taking daily Vitamins. I wear a daily MV patch with Iron and take an additional high ADEK chewable once a day. Takes one minute of my day.

For your surgery, taking a Multivitamin with iron, and 1500mg calcium citrate (some yummy chews available) should be easy too. Can bring them anywhere, take them anywhere.

5 hours ago, boat 4 fun said:

My first thought sitting through these classes is "If I could comply with all of these nutrition requirements and restrictions, I don't think I would need surgery".

We've all been here, and we've all proven just how unsuccessful that route is. None of us would have had WLS if if it were as easy as just complying with the pre-surgery program - it's too restrictive and meant to be temporary. When you're not mentally ready for a change like this, your head is absolutely going to be throwing up every reason not to do it, so I'd consider seeing a bariatric therapist to help you before starting the program.

As for on-the-go nutrition, there's nothing wrong with taking a packed lunch, or indeed a fanny-pack of nutritious Snacks. I take a handful of small apples and individual high-protein yoghurts with me to work, which I snack on whenever I get a second (my second job, which is a cook in a cafe with barely a break over a day's shift - so I'm surrounded by food I shouldn't and don't touch - hence my little pile of apples).

And as Tomo said - Vitamin supplements are essential, for both bypass and DS, though I think DS requires more. But it's just a matter of adding it to your daily routine. I take mine every evening before bed.

7 hours ago, boat 4 fun said:

I am scared that I am going to make my life miserable by altering my digestive tract

That's honest. But the changes are necessary to get to a healthier place. Eventually you will be able to go back to bad eating habits and regain the lost weight if you so choose and are miserable being at a healthy BMI. But who does that???

Any specific reason why DS over RNY or Sleeve?!

Having surgery doesn’t mean you can’t manage your eating & drinking or it will be too hard to do. It’s more that it may be different to how you used to do things & you just need to establish new routines & habits. A lot of our old habits did us no favours anyway so they are no loss.

Vitamins morning & night. Many people take a packed lunch to work. Pack your meals & Snacks in a small ice bag & take it with you from vehicle to vehicle. Make sure you always have your fluids with you & sip, sip, sip. Pop everything you may need in a back pack or similar so it’s easy to grab & go. Be organised & allow for the unexpected.

My family are on the land too & always take a large water bottle, a thermos of hot Water & a packed lunch &/or snacks with them if they aren’t going to be near home. They haven’t had surgery but it’s their routine so it’s not impossible to do.

Benefits of the surgery (loss of appetite, the staged return to eating, possible temporary changes to taste &/or smell, boosted metabolism) give you time to evaluate your old eating habits & try new more nutritious foods & cooking methods. Remember also the most restricted eating period after surgery is only usually about 6 weeks not forever. Therapy can also be very beneficial too. Helping you understand your relationship with food, what was behind your eating habits, cravings, etc. Doing the head work is essential. And sometimes realising something as serious as surgery is your only option to improve your health & life is the best motivation to make changes.

19 hours ago, Tomo said:

I don't have the DS but I have the RNY but the nutritional requirements are as easy as taking daily Vitamins. I wear a daily MV patch with Iron and take an additional high ADEK chewable once a day. Takes one minute of my day.

For your surgery, taking a Multivitamin with Iron, and 1500mg calcium citrate (some yummy chews available) should be easy too. Can bring them anywhere, take them anywhere.

Can you link what you use? I'm having my revision surgery on the 28th and I want to get stuff that's not big pills to swallow. Thanks!!

On 6/23/2023 at 11:49 PM, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Any specific reason why DS over RNY or Sleeve?!

DS on Dr's recommendation. I am a candidate for sleeve, but he said chance of weight regain is lower

Can you link what you use? I'm having my revision surgery on the 28th and I want to get stuff that's not big pills to swallow. Thanks!!
PatchAid MV with Iron https://patchaid.com/products/multivitamin-plus-topical-patch-patchaid

And BariMelts ADEK, Dissolvable Bariatric Vitamins, Natural strawberry Flavor, 60 Fast Melting Tablets (can find both on the store here too, I believe if not can get these on Amazon)

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

PatchAid MV with Iron https://patchaid.com/products/multivitamin-plus-topical-patch-patchaid

And BariMelts ADEK, Dissolvable Bariatric Vitamins, Natural strawberry Flavor, 60 Fast Melting Tablets (can find both on the store here too, I believe if not can get these on Amazon)

Thank you so much!!! I just ordered them today. I did 2 day shipping so they'll be here when I get home. I appreciate it!!

Thank you so much!!! I just ordered them today. I did 2 day shipping so they'll be here when I get home. I appreciate it!!
Since Patches works for some but not others, you will know on your first post-op blood tests. You can make adjustments from there. I added the high ADEK to bring up a low Vitamin A but it was never "deficient" per se. It's like a simple insurance policy that will cover those four important Vitamins. I hope they will work for you because it is so so easy. I hate big pills too lol .

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

Since Patches works for some but not others, you will know on your first post-op blood tests. You can make adjustments from there. I added the high ADEK to bring up a low Vitamin A but it was never "deficient" per se. It's like a simple insurance policy that will cover those four important Vitamins. I hope they will work for you because it is so so easy. I hate big pills too lol .

I'll be sure to post and let you guys know. Some say pills are ok, some say pills are a no no. Personally, the fewer I have to take, the better :)

@boat 4 fun, I've had the same thoughts about following the diet/lifestyle. That just speaks more to the fact that I've got to change my thinking and take action on a new way of life. It's definitely a challenge. I know I need a long term commitment with renewing my mind as needed. This is about moving forward with healthier choices, right? I appreciate everyone here sharing their experiences and especially when facts and studies are shared, which helps me learn and grow. Hang in there! We can do hard things.

Also, I'm getting my surgery from Cleveland Clinic. I was reminded recently not to use Patches for some reason. Let us know how that works for you. I have a hard time taking pills so I'm trying chewables now, as much as I can. I'm sure you'll find what works best for you. All the best!

On 6/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, Midwest Grateful said:

@boat 4 fun, I've had the same thoughts about following the diet/lifestyle. That just speaks more to the fact that I've got to change my thinking and take action on a new way of life. It's definitely a challenge. I know I need a long term commitment with renewing my mind as needed. This is about moving forward with healthier choices, right? I appreciate everyone here sharing their experiences and especially when facts and studies are shared, which helps me learn and grow. Hang in there! We can do hard things.

It is not nearly as straight-forward of a decision as I thought it was at first. But, you are right... changes, permanent changes, need to be made