Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon suggested bypass instead of sleeve.

Had my first visit with the surgeon last week about getting the sleeve. Did heaps of research and checked out forums prior to appt. Surgeon suggested getting the bypass. Said research shows it is more successful long term and as I am in my 50s I wouldn’t want to be doing another op in my mid 60s. Bypass is also reversible.
I agreed to a bypass on the spot as the surgeon should know what’s best for me. He said he has even reduced the cost of a bypass to match the sleeve so patients would not be deciding on a procedure based solely on cost. Surgery next month.
Very worried about ever being able to go to a restaurant in the future due to lack of suitable menu choices and ending up with dumping in a public setting. Not sure how I would cope when travelling as will be relying on others to prepare my meals. Any advice on these scenarios would be much appreciated.
I just spent the weekend donating many of my gorgeous cookbooks as I can’t see myself ever using them again. I have another three bookcases to go through.
Next step will be digging out the smaller clothes I never donated as I really liked them. I have a feeling I won’t be interested in many of my old clothes anymore and will want to Celebrate my new figure with some new items. I know my smallest clothes are going to end up too big in the near future. Can’t wait.
Would love to hear from others about their journey and any tips or tricks you can offer.

first of all, only about 30% of bypassers dump (I never have - and I know lots of others who never have, either). It's caused by eating too much sugar at one sitting, so you can prevent it by....not eating a lot of sugar at one sitting.

the issue with restaurants is temporary - just the first few weeks. Once you're a couple months out, you'll be able to find things on practically any menu that you can eat - and once you're about six months out, you'll be cleared to eat any food item (you may still have some intolerances, but nothing will be off the table). My new normal (well, not so new anymore since I'm eight years out) is either ordering an appetizer or two, or ordering an entree and having them box up half of it to take home. Honestly, most of my never-been-obese women friends do exactly the same. At this point, no one would be able to tell I've had weight loss surgery - they'd just assume I'm a "light eater".

and what are you throwing your cookbooks out for? I never threw out a single one - and I've since added a few more to my collection! I enjoy cooking and I cook a lot. I just eat smaller portions now, and I only occasionally indulge in something like chips or dessert.

honestly, the eating that people often associate with weight loss patients doesn't last forever. It's tough the first month or two (well, esp the first month), so I tried to avoid going out to eat. But after that you can eat more variety and should be able to find things you can eat at any restaurant. And then, as I said, after about six months, there won't be any food restrictions.

It takes about 1600 calories/day to maintain my weight (although that varies a lot among people - I know women who can only eat around 1200 and others who can eat 2000), and I eat very nutritiously most of the time. Yes there are days when I overeat or splurge on some junky thing, but it's not very often - and I'm back on track the next day. There are times when I wish I could eat whatever I want and however much I want every day, but very few people can do that - and it sure didn't work for me since it got me up to almost 400 lbs. I think I'm eating much more like a "normie" now.

10 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

first of all, only about 30% of bypassers dump (I never have - and I know lots of others who never have, either). It's caused by eating too much sugar at one sitting, so you can prevent it by....not eating a lot of sugar at one sitting.

the issue with restaurants is temporary - just the first few weeks. Once you're a couple months out, you'll be able to find things on practically any menu that you can eat - and once you're about six months out, you'll be cleared to eat any food item (you may still have some intolerances, but nothing will be off the table). My new normal (well, not so new anymore since I'm eight years out) is either ordering an appetizer or two, or ordering an entree and having them box up half of it to take home. Honestly, most of my never-been-obese women friends do exactly the same. At this point, no one would be able to tell I've had weight loss surgery - they'd just assume I'm a "light eater".

and what are you throwing your cookbooks out for? I never threw out a single one - and I've since added a few more to my collection! I enjoy cooking and I cook a lot. I just eat smaller portions now, and I only occasionally indulge in something like chips or dessert.

honestly, the eating that people often associate with weight loss patients doesn't last forever. It's tough the first month or two (well, esp the first month), so I tried to avoid going out to eat. But after that you can eat more variety and should be able to find things you can eat at any restaurant. And then, as I said, after about six months, there won't be any food restrictions.

It takes about 1600 calories/day to maintain my weight (although that varies a lot among people - I know women who can only eat around 1200 and others who can eat 2000), and I eat very nutritiously most of the time. Yes there are days when I overeat or splurge on some junky thing, but it's not very often - and I'm back on track the next day. There are times when I wish I could eat whatever I want and however much I want every day, but very few people can do that - and it sure didn't work for me since it got me up to almost 400 lbs. I think I'm eating much more like a "normie" now.

I largely agree. I don't cook much, but wish I did. Focus on freezable meals since you will have leftovers for days!

Keep your smaller clothes because as you go down through sizes it could get expensive, albeit fun to try new things. You'll be glad to have a smaller wardrobe to rely on. Of course, if you can afford to treat yourself then by all means, do it!

The restaurant situation is challenging at times, but I've started to get used to it after 4 months. I went out to dinner the other day with a friend, and we split an app and an entree and there were still leftovers! She took them home!

Edited by Jonathan Carlson

Getting the sleeve isnt guaranteed to prevent you from developing dumping syndrome; there are less of us but I am a sleeve patient who dumps. I wouldn't let that be your sole deciding factor. In the event you are someone who has this issue, there are ways to avoid it and you learn your triggers.

I am 50yrs old and had gastric bypass dec. 19. My surgeon recommended gb over the sleeve because I have gerd and he said the sleeve would make it worse. I was disappointed and wasn't sure about being re-routed. I agreed as I trusted my surgeon. I do not regret my decision. I had very little discomfort from the surgery. I have had no problems with gerd. I was hoping that my body would reject sugar but it does not. My surgeon had told me prior to surgery that dumping syndrome is only a possible side effect. I have had a few very mild cases, keep in mind I am a sugar-holic. I can still consume sugar and fat moderately.

I have found that I prefer Protein Shakes to food most of the time. I don't and never have liked cooking. If you enjoy cooking and your recipes you will probably be able to tolerate it in small amounts. One thing I've found is that you don't know what your stomach can handle until after the surgery. It is different for everyone. Some are sensitive to sugar and fat, some are not. There's no way to tell ahead of time. My only regret is that I still get hungry and my stomach still growls (not the gurgle you hear when it's circling the drain that is different). Gastric bypass does not completely get rid of ghrelin. Once I got my routine down it lessened. Hopefully will stop soon.

Don't overthink and worry too much. Just take it one step at a time, your body will tell you what to do. Once you heal, you should be able to eat normally for the most part in small amounts as I do.

This is my first post ever so forgive me if I've rambled or responded incorrectly.

As far as cooking. Most recipes can be modified to fit our diets. Please continue to enjoy cooking and your beautiful cookbooks. Eating after surgery and healed doesn't have to be bland and boring.

i'm a sleeve and i dump. but it's totally manageable: i just make sure i don't eat too much sugar or sugar on an empty stomach.

cooking: i LOVE cooking (strangely enough this love of cooking/baking/grilling developed AFTER wls). i may not eat much (or any) of what i make, but i still really enjoy doing it.

restaurants: i still go out to eat as much, if not MORE, than pre-wls (i love to get all dressed for a night out and sample different/new foods). i only eat a fraction of what i once did, but i i do like to try everything...like a bite or two of everything that gets to the table..which is why i like to go out in groups or go to tasting menus cuz of the variety.

clothes: i too went through my entire stash of "skinny clothes" but now have all new stuff cuz i eventually sized out of said stash. shopping and buying new clothes is super fun, lol.

I had the sleeve done in 2017 and lost about 75 lbs. I have gained about 20 of that back now. BUT the main reason I am having a revision done is because of the awful acid reflux I've had since my sleeve surgery. It seems to be getting worse too. I am 63 yrs old but I just can't handle it anymore.
If I'd have known this before, I would definitely have done the bypass then.

I am 41 and today marks 8 weeks post-op from my bypass. It was my choice to go the bypass route from jump and my surgeon agreed with my decision. Yes in the very beginning, you are not only limited on what to eat, but even the capacity to eat (or even the desire). It would be the same with the sleeve either way because of the swelling the small pouch can only hold so much. It gets easier as time passes.

To date I have not had any dumping issues. I know it is not the same for anyone regardless of which surgery, but I have tolerated all foods I've tried to date. I have been cleared for basically everything in moderation, still trial and error as I haven't tried it all yet. I have eaten out several times since about 4 weeks post-op and most places easily have things that can be ordered or slightly modified to suit our needs. Soups or a Protein and veg are fairly easy to find on most menus. Grilled chicken sandwich minus bread with a side salad. Breakfast is even easier. I either end up with a to go container for another meal or two, or my boyfriend eats extra, lol.

I do enjoy cooking and have had no issues with finding recipes to make my own. Flavor and variation is key. You can easily keep your cookbooks and find some substitutions for higher fat/carb/sugar items. I think it's much easier now than many years ago to find healthier alternatives.

And while I know many people can be successful with the sleeve, I personally know a number of people who have had more regain. Some regret not having the bypass, or have gotten revisions years later.

I'm 7-months post op, gastric bypass, and I've never had an episode of dumping. That said, I don't eat much in the way of refined sugars. The most I've ever eaten of a high-sugar food is one tiny half-bite of a piece of cake. I only did that once and I had no problems, but I don't want to push it.

I haven't yet eaten at a sit-down restaurant, since surgery, but I would have no qualms about doing so. I would just have to ask for a doggy bag, with the meal, because I know I'll only be eating about 3/4 of a cup of whatever is on my plate.

Now that I'm further along, I have no food intolerances. There really isn't anything that causes me diarrhea or nausea. If I eat too fast, or force myself to eat too much, I will have some pain and discomfort - but that's a behavior modification issue, not a tummy problem.

On 6/6/2023 at 1:07 PM, Jeanniebug said:

I'm 7-months post op, gastric bypass, and I've never had an episode of dumping.

I really tested myself tonight. I order Chinese on Fridays. I usually order meat and veggie dishes like Broccoli Beef/no rice since surgery in April. Tonight, they got my order wrong, and I ended up with Kung Pao chicken. It's deep fat fried and contains sugar. But I didn't want to deal with going back and well... I was curious.

I decided to try it to see how my body reacts. I stopped before getting full and so far, no dumping. I guess I'm not part of the 30% who dump with bypass. Not sure if that's good or bad but I don't plan to continue testing it. I'm enjoying watching the numbers on the scale going down way much more.

3 hours ago, BabySpoons said:

I really tested myself tonight. I order Chinese on Fridays. I usually order meat and veggie dishes like Broccoli Beef/no rice since surgery in April.

We had Chinese about a month ago, or so. I had Hunan chicken with steamed rice and Chicken Lo Mein. I did not eat the fortune Cookies. I didn't dump. But, I took very small amounts and, like you, I definitely stopped before I was full.

I don't dump, but I do get reactive hypoglycemia. So, if I'm going to eat something high in carbs, I know that I'm going to have to eat something low carb and high Protein within 2 hours, or my blood sugar will crash.

On 6/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, MelvaJ said:

I had the sleeve done in 2017 and lost about 75 lbs. I have gained about 20 of that back now. BUT the main reason I am having a revision done is because of the awful acid reflux I've had since my sleeve surgery. It seems to be getting worse too. I am 63 yrs old but I just can't handle it anymore.
If I'd have known this before, I would definitely have done the bypass then.

@MelvaJ, I am 62. I'm scheduled for the sleeve next month, and you bring up something I've been considering. I'm going to create a new post on this, but I have resisted having the bypass. I'm second-guessing my choice. I appreciate your input. Thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best with your revision. 💟

56 minutes ago, Midwest Grateful said:

@MelvaJ, I am 62. I'm scheduled for the sleeve next month, and you bring up something I've been considering. I'm going to create a new post on this, but I have resisted having the bypass. I'm second-guessing my choice. I appreciate your input. Thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best with your revision. 💟

My choice on the bypass was solely made because I have GERD and I didn't want to possibly make it worse by getting the sleeve. I cannot imagine going through a revision surgery. A lot of people do, but that was definitely something I didn't want to experience, especially since the first 6 weeks after were very unfun. That said, it's your choice and either surgery will give you great weight loss results; just look at the possible cons of each surgery as well. As far as dumping with the bypass, it keeps me in check when choosing what to eat. I hope that works for my advantage later down the road.