Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling to Consume Calories/Protein

Hi all. I’m 1 week out from having gastric sleeve surgery. The procedure went well, but I had a good amount of pain for the first few days (where I couldn’t really consume anything other than Water, Gatorade Zero and broth). Since about day 4, I’ve been trying to consume somewhere close to my Protein goals (60 grams). I just can’t get there, or really be anywhere close. I’ve never loved Protein Shakes, and can only have 2 ounces at a time. I’m lucky if I consume 1 shake/day. I add in chicken Bone Broth, and a little bit of nonfat yogurt/cottage cheese (which my surgeon allows), but I just can’t seem to consume more than 250 calories/day (at best 40-50 grams of protein). And it is a constant struggle (since I have been good about my fluids).

It is wearing me out a bit, trying to consume protein, and it impacts my ability / endurance to get outside and walk.

Any suggestions?

I only had Water, broth and Gatorade zero the first three days. Then I had 2 Protein Shakes per day for the first week. For me, the key was sipping constantly. I also used Gatorade zero with Protein if I just couldn’t get another sip of shake down. At about a week post op, I tried protein broths and loved the Unjury brand chicken. I’ve heard some people thin out yogurt (like Oikos Triple Zero).

Just try your best to get as much protein as you can. 50 out of 60 grams is pretty good! Just keep the goal in mind and sip, sip, sip!

My first full 10 days were Clear Liquids only- broths, fluids, etc— and all i was to focus on at the time was getting fluids. Then when I switched to full liquids, the shakes felt super heavy, but over time the Protein goal got a bit easier. I could not stomach the protein Water, it was disgusting. Now im still struggling with water and protein— so i think of it as a constant goal!

Thank you! These answers really help put things in perspective. I think I’m just overwhelmed by the program’s Protein requirements for the first 2 weeks (60-80 grams), which is just not attainable by me right now.

It’s not easy at first. Much like you I detested the shakes. Had one a day (diluted to improve the taste a little) & then a soup/broth too. Less than 300 calories a day & didn’t hit my Protein goal once. I treated the shake & Soup like any other Fluid - just sipped until I was finished. My surgeon was okay with this because I was making an effort within my capabilities at that time.

Try making your own yoghurt drink - blend high protein yoghurt with milk. You can make it as thin as you can tolerate & even add in some unflavoured or flavoured Protein Powder. This will boost your protein intake considerably. Sip it just like any other fluid too. I wish I discovered yoghurt drinks in the liquid stage but it wasn't until the purée stage.

I am at day 8 post op after having Gastric Bypass Surgery with Hernia Repair. I am also struggling to get what my doctor wants me to get down. She gave me a chart and every hour I am supposed to drink 4oz . That is not happening. I am lucky to get 2oz most of the time in per hour. Today was the first day that I was able to from 8a.m. to 12 p.m. get a full 9oz of the Protein Shake in. I can't wait to have Cottage cheese. Right now I can have broth, Creamed Soup and Low fat yogurt (I like Two Good) I drink plain Water and Gatorade Zero and Crystal Light. I pray this gets easier, I have had pain off and on and also severe gas at times and I do walk. Gasx has been helping with that also.

I had a hard time too after RNY and hernia repair. My team just had me focus on Water and Jello the first two weeks and do the Protein Shake as much as possible but don’t worry about it. Staying hydrated was their main concern. Early on, the Protein Shakes count as liquid too! Warm chicken Bone Broth was very comforting and a nice savory flavor. I put decaffeinated coffee in my chocolate shake to warm it and feel more normal in the morning.