Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am 52, 6 feet tall and weigh around 315 (at my heaviest I was around 365).

I am thinking about getting surgery because I am starting to feel the effects to my health.

2 Years ago I lost about 100 pounds by dieting and exercise and got down to about 264 (I will also admit that I had just gotten a divorce and was suffering through that at the same time, so that was probably a contributing factor to me losing weight at that time).

Since then I have put on half of it and struggle with binge eating daily.

I would like to get surgery as I would like to permanently lose weight and improve my overall health.

I am thinking of bypass because I do have heartburn every now and again, but mainly when I eat badly.

Things that I am concerned about :

1. Complications of bypass surgery. What if I forget that I had surgery and have a huge bite of a steak ? Does that happen ? Or a huge glass of Water that I chug down ?

2. Taking Vitamins every day, forever.

I guess I am just really nervous about this but know that I need to do it.

I have my first consultation on the 23rd of March.

Is there any advise you can give me that will help me decide ?

Thank you!

Edited by Terry PVB

Ok, first surgery does not equal permanent weight loss it is a tool that assists you to lose weight.

Heartburn every now and then because of what you eat can be controlled by your diet and to have surgery to prevent that probably isn't necessary. My fear of getting the sleeve was reflux as I already was on meds for it but it has improved even with a sleeve. It gets niggley if I eat to much or the wrong foods and drinks.

I chose the sleeve because I didn't want to be taking Vitamins everyday as I never remember to take supplements and I just didn't want to have to.

The only time I made myself sick was after scoffing down a cinnamon scroll it was painful for hours and I vomited but that is the only time. But you don't forget you have had surgery, you might try to push the boundaries but you don't forget and most times your body will remind you . Possible dumping is something you need to be aware of too with a bypass.

If you are binge eating you would certainly benefit from some counselling and I certainly wouldn't go into surgery without it. Surgery gives some of us a huge wake up call on how much we relied on food for comfort etc which can lead to other issues with your mental health. It doesn't happen often but there have been a few posts where people have had surgery and just haven't coped mentally so you need to keep that in mind to.

Talk to your surgeon and his or her team I am sure they will give you the information and assistance you need prior to surgery

You have very good reasons for having the surgery & questions & doubts about progressing are common. It’s surgery. It changes your digestive system. There is a period of healing & recovery.

To be successful for the long term, you will have to make changes to how, what & why you eat & your relationship with food. The months post surgery give you time to work through all of this & certainly therapy, as @SleeverSk suggested, can be very helpful.

The surgery also gives you time to develop better eating habits & routines like being more mindful. Will you forget & take a too big sip or bite or eat too quickly? Yes it will happen but your body soon tells you & you’re usually extra careful after the experience. Often all you’ll experience is just discomfort but occasionally foamies or vomiting.

Complications after surgery aren’t common and many are related to pre existing conditions or predispositions. The risks are lower for bariatric surgeries than many other common surgeries.

I used to control almost all my reflux with dietary choices before surgery (no spicy, fatty or rich food, little carbonation & reduced caffeine) which is why I had sleeve. I still have reflux but it is different & I need meds every day which I didn’t before.

I hate taking tablets & often forget. Multi Vitamins always make me nauseous but my bloods are good & I don’t need to take them anymore though some sleevers still do. Just depends on your diet & absorption for us. But it is a necessity after bypass as malabsorption of calories (& therefore nutrients) is how it contributes to your weight loss.

Dumping can occur with bypass (about 40% chance I think) but if you discover you have it it is simply a matter of avoiding fats or sugars as they are the usual culprits. Some even find they can eat small amounts as time passes. You can also have it with a sleeve but it is less common (30%??).

The average weight loss with sleeve & bypass is about the same 65% +/- of the weight you have to lose to put you in a healthier weight range. Some lose more some lose less.

Make a list of your questions to discuss with your surgeon. They’re best placed to answer them in relation to your specific needs, health status/issues & weight loss/gain history. All the best whichever surgery you have.

I went with bypass because I also had GERD before surgery. Not everyone has issues of their GERD getting worse after getting the sleeve, but I was afraid I'd be one of the unlucky ones whose did, and I wasn't willing to take that risk. But some people do take the risk, and for some it turns out OK.

I'm pretty much on autopilot when it comes to taking Vitamins. I take a small handful when I get up in the morning, and another small handful around dinner time. And my Iron before I go to bed. I really don't even think about it much anymore. But yea, slacking off on vitamins has more consequences for bypassers than it does for sleevers, so it really is important to stay on top of them.

taking tiny sips of Water and eating microscopic pieces and portions is really just the first few weeks or months after surgery. I drink water at the same rate I always did, and I eat pretty normally now (except in smaller portions). If you swallow too big a piece of food, your stomach will let you know.

I love my bypass and wish I would have had it years before I actually did. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Thank you for all your wonderful and thoughtful responses, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

I was filling out my forms today (for my initial consultation) and I saw a section asking if I was going in for a revision. This made me think that I may be signing up for a lifetime of hospital stays to fix this and that... and I am not into that. I also watched a video today where a leak could cause you to stay in hospital for months.

Oh man, I am really working myself up.

I know this is the right thing for me but I would like to know from you guys if you have had to go back for any corrective procedures ?

No I haven’t had a revision or need to repair a complication. I have three friends who have also had surgery & they haven’t either.

Revisions are sometimes needed (for personal choice like to lose additional weight or medical reason like gerd) & sometimes a complication arises that needs corrective surgery but they aren’t all that common. Ask your surgeon how many they have done. You may be surprised.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:11 PM, Terry PVB said:

Thank you for all your wonderful and thoughtful responses, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

I was filling out my forms today (for my initial consultation) and I saw a section asking if I was going in for a revision. This made me think that I may be signing up for a lifetime of hospital stays to fix this and that... and I am not into that. I also watched a video today where a leak could cause you to stay in hospital for months.

Oh man, I am really working myself up.

I know this is the right thing for me but I would like to know from you guys if you have had to go back for any corrective procedures ?

Yes, you are definitely working yourself up lol If you know it's the right thing for you, don't psych yourself out.

I am one of the very unlucky ones that has to have a revision. I never had gerd or reflux before my surgery, so I chose the sleeve. I have LOVED my sleeve. Unfortunately, it caused horrible gerd that also caused gastritis and esophagitis, so I was put on 80mg of Nexium. I've been on it for 7 months now, and it caused polyps all through my stomach. I've had 2 surgeries to remove them, and now nodules all through my duodenum, which also have to be removed. Once they are, I'll be cleared to have my revision to bypass. I'm told that should take care of the gerd, which will allow me to get off the Nexium, which will stop the formation of polyps and nodules.

I still don't regret my sleeve. I've lost over 110 pounds, gotten off all 3 of my diabetes meds, gotten off my blood pressure med, my mobility is way way better, I work out 5 days per week, all my labs have come back normal repeatedly, I can honestly say it's still the best thing I've ever done, even with the complications.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:49 PM, helenah said:

Hi Terry, what diet did you use to lose the 100lbs the first time??

Hi Helenah, I exercised for 45 mins twice a day and tried to eat less than 1800 calories a day.

On 3/17/2023 at 1:28 AM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Yes, you are definitely working yourself up lol If you know it's the right thing for you, don't psych yourself out.

I am one of the very unlucky ones that has to have a revision. I never had gerd or reflux before my surgery, so I chose the sleeve. I have LOVED my sleeve. Unfortunately, it caused horrible gerd that also caused gastritis and esophagitis, so I was put on 80mg of Nexium. I've been on it for 7 months now, and it caused polyps all through my stomach. I've had 2 surgeries to remove them, and now nodules all through my duodenum, which also have to be removed. Once they are, I'll be cleared to have my revision to bypass. I'm told that should take care of the gerd, which will allow me to get off the Nexium, which will stop the formation of polyps and nodules.

I still don't regret my sleeve. I've lost over 110 pounds, gotten off all 3 of my diabetes meds, gotten off my blood pressure med, my mobility is way way better, I work out 5 days per week, all my labs have come back normal repeatedly, I can honestly say it's still the best thing I've ever done, even with the complications.

Thank you for your response SleeveDiva2022.