Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone struggling mentally after the first few months?

Hey folks!!!

I haven't been here in a while. I got my surgery on October 3rd, 2023. I have lost approximately 75 lbs. I am going THROUGH it mentally! This started because of all the reactions from folks and I hate that my body is the center of attention, it is very embarrassing. I really don't want to constantly talk about the changes etc...I am still in the thick of it!

My dad has made some pretty disgusting comments and it threw me off so I have been avoiding even visiting my parents right now. I've just been so damn irritable and I just want to hide! I know I am so much more than my body weight and just want to be treated normally. I have always hated that aspect of weight loss. Am I the only one?

I am so sorry that you are struggling— I know what you mean about having everyone think something so private is up discussion, and it sucks your dad is being rude. In the past, I would even self sabotage when people would comment, but i am trying to work on that. Hugs! Remember, you ARE more than your weight or your looks, and you are doing this for your own self- other peoples opinions don't matter. I hope you have someone you can talk to about this- i am leveraging a counselor for the wave I can see ahead of me as well. I’d encourage you stay focused on your goals and your opinions.

Sending well wishes your way!

yea I went through a lot of that the first year. Eventually you get to the point, though, that either everyone has already seen you and your loss, or they never knew you when you were obese. So the further out you go, the less you have to deal with those awkward interactions. I can't even remember the last time it came up for me. Thank God.

I'm not really struggling with people mentioning my weight - thankfully all of my feedback has been positive.

However, I am struggling with the food addiction portion of the program. For a few days, I was feeling more restriction than I had been and I was forcing myself to finish my portion - even though I was full. The Clean Plate Club rules were kicking in - hard. I talked to my therapist and have turned that around.

It's definitely a mental game. And you don't have to see anyone you don't want to. If your parents are being stupid, stop seeing them. And I would recommend therapy, if you aren't already seeing someone. It really does help.

Sorry you are going through this but as @Sigh said, you did this for you so pay no mind to them. If you do not want to keep talking about your weight loss just politely say it is not up for discussion.

Stay focused on you and your journey!

15 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

I'm not really struggling with people mentioning my weight - thankfully all of my feedback has been positive.

However, I am struggling with the food addiction portion of the program. For a few days, I was feeling more restriction than I had been and I was forcing myself to finish my portion - even though I was full. The Clean Plate Club rules were kicking in - hard. I talked to my therapist and have turned that around.

It's definitely a mental game. And you don't have to see anyone you don't want to. If your parents are being stupid, stop seeing them. And I would recommend therapy, if you aren't already seeing someone. It really does help.

Yup the Clean Plate Club gets me now too. The weird thing is that before surgery I could have cared less, I would eat until I'm full. Now I make a small portion about a half cup size and I want to finish it all even if I honestly can't. I get a little depressed when I can't finish the last 2 or 3 bites. It's definitely a mental game. I'm just getting to the point that people are noticing my weight loss. I deflect it as much as I can or change the subject mid sentence again only if I can.

I have not seen the majority of my family since early 2022 & 100+lbs ago & I am SO nervous about this exact thing. I just know they're going to make a huge deal about it, be dramatic, ask endless amounts of questions & I'm not ready. I wish everyone would act like everything is normal but I know that's not gonna be the case