Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Length of liquid diet Post-op

My Dr. requires 4 weeks of full liquid diet after the sleeve surgery. This doesn't count any pre-op time. Then a week (or 2!) of pureed, followed by another 1-2 weeks of soft. I know every surgeon is different, but everywhere else I read 2 weeks of full liquid. I am guessing it is because I was self pay (US), and don't have a follow up until 4 weeks after, and even then it's only by phone, so this reduces the chances of complications?

I am NOT looking for permission to do something other than what my surgeon recommends (or admonitions to stick with his guidance!) I will be discussing with the nutritionist. But I'm curious how many others are supposed to stay on liquids longer than 2 weeks? Were you given clearance AT an in person follow up? When was that? What is the follow up care of Insurance patients vs Self Pay, whether that is US or Mexico. I'm a 2 hour drive from my surgery center, and was told all follow-ups would be virtual.

My post-op schedule is one week Clear Liquids, followed by two weeks full liquid, next one week pureed, finally a week of soft foods. So, a four week progression before solid foods. I think the longer period gives our stomachs more time to heal and establishes a habit of consuming more liquid in our daily diet going forward. Plus the longer you abstain from sugar and carbs, the less you crave them making sticking to a diet easier.

I was on clear liquids until I had a bowel movement (which took a few days). And then I was on 2 weeks of full liquids. So, my liquid stage was more than 2 weeks. Then I had 2 weeks of pureed, 2 weeks of soft, then on to solid. So, I was 6 weeks + before eating regular food.

I did the MGB WLS and I was put on clear liquids diet for a week. I was allowed to drink orange juice (without sugar), herbal teas, chicken Soup without spices and reduced salt etc.

There are lots of differences in plans for pre & post surgery. From how long each stage lasts to what you are allowed to eat or drink on each stage, etc. While the two weeks cycle is quite common many have shorter or longer stages like one week liquids or skip stages like no purée. Some find they need to stay longer at a stage or go back a stage because they’re not healed enough. I have heard of some surgeons who have encouraged their patient to move to the next stage earlier than they first required.

I was on two week cycles of the three stages: liquids, purée & soft, before beginning more solid food. Liquids did not have to be clear & was allowed smooth soups & broths with shakes during the liquid stage but no juice, sugar free Jello or popsicles at all. Many are allowed mashed potatoes & apple sauce during purées but I wasn’t. I was allowed herbal or green tea from the beginning.

Best advice is always to follow your surgeon’s plans. It’s in place to protect & support your healing tummy & not put additional stress on it. They have developed their plan based on their theories & experiences. If you do have an issue with the stages or plan discuss it with your surgeon - never hurts to ask for modifications.

I was on clear liquids post op day 1 and 2, then 12 days or so in full liquids, then pureed/soft for 2 weeks, so once I had hit the month I could eat regular textured food. I was self pay in the US with virtual meetings.

My sister was with insurance, in person meetings, weighted about 70lbs less and she was on liquids for 4 weeks, because that was her plan.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was on full fluids from day 1 - the very first thing I was given post op was coffee and strained yoghurt (which I simply could not get down). 2 weeks of those, 2 of puree, then onto normal but softer foods progressing as I felt able. Surgeons really do differ a lot. I did like comparing my programme to others here though - still do! Best of luck, hope you do really well OP.

We didn't have any liquid only diet; we had puree and soft things (yogurt, scrambled eggs, etc.) in the hospital along with a lot of liquids, of course. The general rule the first month was to move between liquids, purees and soft solids as we could tolerate them; if we came across something that wasn't tolerated, then move back to proven foods and try that one again in a week or two. Some progressed more quickly than others. With Protein Shakes as a staple to ensure adequate Protein, I started with broth, then graduated to thicker Soups like vegetable or chicken noodle or rice with the chunks strained out, then just mashed the chunks as the next trial, then went unmashed and well chewed, etc.

As the group had around twenty years experience in working with the sleeve (at that time), I wasn't about to argue with them being different than others online.

How are you coping with liquid diet? I am really struggling and all i think about is food.. which i didnt do before

I was on some form of a restricted diet for the first 3 months: clear liquids for a week, full liquids for 3 weeks, purees for 3 weeks and I think 6 weeks on soft foods. By the time I got to the point my diet was no longer restricted I was CRAVING raw vegetables something awful, and that's not really something that has let up (to a point where my dietitian had to gently chastise me for eating so much salad because it wasn't leaving enough room for protein!)

I'm not going to suggest you go on your own and contradict your team's recommendations, but you may consider talking to them if you are tolerating things well if they would be open to you potentially accelerating your schedule. If you're having trouble, I would stick with the schedule.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:02 PM, LelePeanut said:

How are you coping with liquid diet? I am really struggling and all i think about is food.. which i didnt do before

I'm having a hard time too! My Sleeve surgery was on 04/18 so I just started week 3. According to my surgeons plan, I'm still on a full liquid diet. Next week, week 4, I can throw in scrambled eggs, low or non fat cottage cheese, 2% string cheese, low fat cheese slices, and add fruit to blended Protein Shakes. On week 5 I can add soft cooked vegetables, canned chicken or tuna - fork smashed, refried Beans, bananas, and canned fruit - fork smashed. Week 6 I move to solid food as tolerated.

Last week at my 1 week follow up I told my Dr that I was very surprised at how hungry I am all the time and that I'm able to get all the Protein and liquids down with no problems. I think he kind of thought I was under the impression that I got a bad sleeve. Mostly because he said: "I don't want you to think you didn't get a good sleeve..." hahaha!

I'm just trying not to compare myself to others. It's hard. I keep reading about how everyone is not hungry anymore and I get a bit jealous. Hahahaha! I'll survive.... but I can't wait for some scrambled eggs!

I'm having a hard time too! My Sleeve surgery was on 04/18 so I just started week 3. According to my surgeons plan, I'm still on a full liquid diet. Next week, week 4, I can throw in scrambled eggs, low or non fat cottage cheese, 2% string cheese, low fat cheese slices, and add fruit to blended Protein Shakes. On week 5 I can add soft cooked vegetables, canned chicken or tuna - fork smashed, refried Beans, bananas, and canned fruit - fork smashed. Week 6 I move to solid food as tolerated.
Last week at my 1 week follow up I told my Dr that I was very surprised at how hungry I am all the time and that I'm able to get all the Protein and liquids down with no problems. I think he kind of thought I was under the impression that I got a bad sleeve. Mostly because he said: "I don't want you to think you didn't get a good sleeve..." hahaha!
I'm just trying not to compare myself to others. It's hard. I keep reading about how everyone is not hungry anymore and I get a bit jealous. Hahahaha! I'll survive.... but I can't wait for some scrambled eggs!
I was also hungry after surgery. It does get better once you start solids, you will be hungry but get full with a small portion.

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using BariatricPal mobile app