Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you who have gotten the sleeve do you wish you had gotten the bypass?

On 2/20/2023 at 8:02 AM, smc124 said:

For me I chose the sleeve because bypass was going to lead to a lifetime of absorption issues and problems with medication I take daily. I’ve feel like there is no reasons to mess with two organs and add additional issues. With absorption if you can achieve success without doing it from both an evolutionary perspective and quality of life. GERD runs in my family but I didn’t experience it before the sleeve, and post sleeve it’s been v mild and occasional at most. If you don’t currently have an issue with GERD or have one that can be controlled by diet and your surgeon recommends the sleeve why subject yourself to a lifetime of malabsorption and dumping?

I also choose the sleeve because I didn’t want to reroute my intestines and have the possibility of malnutrition. It’s been 6 days since my surgery and I haven’t had any issues with GERD, although I’m not eating solid food yet. So far, I am pleased with my decision.

I am pleased with the sleeve. 10 months out and a loss of 152lbs. I have severe acid reflux prior to surgery and a gi bleed. Was on ppi for at least 7 years. After surgery, no reflux at all and off all meds for it.

I just had my surgery Thurs 8/24/23. I'm still new to all

yhis but started a very small support group as well in IG at #thesleevesuite. My goal is to show before , during the healing process and any tips or tricks that can help others. Personally I'll. Be upset if I have to get another surgery bcus I def was in pain but mostly from the air. I do notice that it's like all Drs GUVE diff advice which I find odd. I'm going to do some rewatch in the actual organization if these surgeries so I can see their guidelines. Bcus if can get confusing. I've just been recouping and like I can't sleep. I have insomnia. But idk if I can sip some zquil. I don't want to take the pain meds and /or Xanax if I don't have tok. So if anyone wants to post on the ig I literally just started and haven't posted thd pics yet I'd love to get any input or help to support this journey of mine. Now iv one of my sons can just show me a few more things ( like cutting my head and face off the pics to uploads Or like I never knew they fill us s air which truthfully caused my pain. But I feel like any support given and recurved is fear. I could never now drunk 3 full Protein Shakes plus all the whydratio so

im grateful my son got me the 39 mg Protein shakes. I am craving food but I feel full I'm just already sick of 3 days of this no flavor stuff which is why I'm so happy I found this site. It appears to have a lot of variety and Monday I'm going to order a little but if as much as I can afford. I'll leave reviews on here. Idk if I can on my IG w out permission from the company but if you want me to add your tips and tricks just leave me a message on #Thesleevesuite. We are all in this journey together. Anyone who thinks this is the easy way out is def clueless. I'm happy to see such variety avail on here. I can't wait til Monday to order some items but I'm in a tight budget. Any suggestion I need ideas for salty Snacks when im

iff the protein /clear liquids. Oh yea and I'm located in the Us but I didn't have to do a ord op diet except moo after. Midnight before surgery and my oysche even struggled w that and I snuck and ice cream sandwich!! But my surgery wasn't until like 1:3o pm. It's def a very odd feeling though to FEEL full but STILL HAVE CRAVINGS. HOPEFULLY THIS PART PASSES. MY KIDS DIED LAUGHING CUS I 1/2 joked that I'd love to just lick a pizza. Lol I'm so scared of this dumping thing though I'm going to ply it safe for sure. I will be passing this site in to my sister who has full bariatric June 8th. They have great items on here. Thank you!

On 2/20/2023 at 12:56 AM, ImsexyandIknowit said:

I had the sleeve, I had GERD and was taking prescribed meds for it. My doctor did not advise me which one to do. I am 3 years out and I am very happy where I am at weigh wise. Started at 250 currently between 130-140. I was not really into them rerouting my intestines' and all that stuff. But that is just me lol.

I still have heartburn issues but I pretty much know what to eat to keep it at bay. I still will take OTC meds. Best of Luck on your journey

I get heartburn too when I have something too spicy, but the re-routing my insides seem really intense and I am like you I think I rather just take OTC meds for the heartburn like I have been. I am glad I found your comment because I have been thinking about this

Hell No! I have zero cravings for any food, which has to do with 95% of hormone telling your brain to eat is removed with bottom of stomach, there is no dumping, pouch will not stretch, but your esophagus will lose the feeling for having food in it if you overeat. And if you overeat too much you will have to throw up. But you won't get the sitting on the toilet. Alcohol won't make you drunk on 1 drink, and absorption is so much better. No way, sleeve was only choice I would ever make

Bypass is pretty amazing for GERD sufferers. There are a fair number of those that have had revisions from sleeve to bypass on this site. That said, my surgeon says there is a way to make a sleeve that is less likely to cause GERD if they already know you have issues with it. Something about the top being a bit wider?

I'm most likely going with the DS which causes much more malabsorption than the bypass. The way I see it though, I'd rather trade my meds and chronic illnesses for daily Vitamins and stable weight maintenance.

It is important to remember that each person has a surgery that is right for them. I have gone over the medication malabsorption issue with my psych several times. But she says that in the end it comes down to the individual. Sometimes even sleevers need med adjustments after surgery. And sometimes bypass and DS people do fine with no adjustments. It all depends on the person and their individual system. Things can be adjusted, there are always options. I'm lucky that my ADHD meds are a disintegrating tablet because its most often given to children. And I have always chewed my benzos so they kick in faster (I only take them in emergencies). My biggest worry is my anti-depressant but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. DSers tend to absorb tablet vitamins well so I'm hoping the tablet anti-depressant will do equally well!