Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Eating enough?

I have a question. I had my surgery Dec 28. I had lost 60 pounds before talking to surgeon but I had hit such a plateau or I was only losing about a pound a week that I decided to try the surgery . The first three weeks I lost 28 pounds and doctor was thrilled. But since then I seem to be stuck again losing a pound or nothing each week. Ive been so concerned about the number of calories Im eating, but I realized I'm not getting even closee to the 120g of Protein they wanted me to. I'm getting about half of that or maybe a little bit more, like 70-75g. My question is...could it be I'm not eating enough? Do I add protein to hit 120 and not be concerned with calories? Basically Im a bit frustrated because I'm back where i was before surgery only losing a pound a week. Looking for some insight.

Edited by Woodlandsguy

it's the infamous three-week stall. It happens to almost all of us (it's not ALWAYS the third week, but that's the most common time. It can happen any time during the first month to six weeks after surgery) I just did a search of this site on it for you - here you go - 17,500 posts!

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=three week stall

p.s. it typically lasts 1-3 weeks, so you're likely very near the end of it. Just stick to your program and stay off the scale for a few days. As long as you stick to your program, it WILL break, and you'll be on your way again.

Edited by catwoman7

P.P.S. we were told 60-70 grams of Protein. 120 seems high to me - but if that's what your surgeon wants you to get, then fine - make that your goal. We were never told to count calories - and were in fact discouraged from doing so. This early out, you're not eating enough food to be concerned about calories. That'll come later.

By the way I’m a 6’1 male and the range my surgeon gave me is 100-120g. I appreciate the guidance you guys are sharing

1 hour ago, Woodlandsguy said:

By the way I’m a 6’1 male and the range my surgeon gave me is 100-120g. I appreciate the guidance you guys are sharing

OK - that makes sense now.

I’ll add have a chat with your dietician too. They can go through yiur current eating plan & make suggestions on what if any changes you could or may need to add.

I wasn’t given a caloric goal either just portion size recommendations. But if you think you’ll feel more comfortable with some guidelines around calories intake ask for some. You have to do what’s best for you & have the tools & information that make you feel comfortable & confident about what you’re doing.

Stalls happen, just stick with it and the scale will start moving again.

Take measurements too, because sometimes when the scale stops the inches are still dropping.

Get off the scale. You don't need it to succeed. Look at how you are doing well on your plan but the scale has you thinking you need to change something. You can get the scale moving by throwing it away.

BTW, I was 6'4" when I had surgery. Now that I ponder it 6'4" would have been very close to my waist size. There's a joke in there somewhere. My Protein was about 60g a day. Maybe if I did more protein I'd still be 6'4" but over these 20 years I've also lost a couple inches in height. :)

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

It's the dreaded stall we all experience, it will pass. Whatever you do never think that you're not eating enough. You're body has changed and when you're full you're full don't eat around your restriction. After six years I still have a good restriction and I am very thankful for it. I've had friends and family members who have eaten around their restriction and have lost it. If it's Protein you want try Protein Shakes but do not think solid foods are your answer at this stage. You'll only begin setting yourself up for failure.