Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am trying to get approved for gastric sleeve surgery. I have been in treatment on suboxone for 7 years. I went to have a psych consultation and was informed that I could not get the surgery while I was on suboxone and that I would need to be off of it for a year before I would be considered. I’m really confused because I know atleast one person who got the surgery while in suboxone therapy and everything I have read online says it’s possible to have the surgery while on suboxone- well, you taper off before surgery and continue after surgery- and people say they had no problems. Has anyone else dealt with this or know what I should do from here? Thank you.

I’m a nurse that formerly worked in a suboxone program. We almost never recommended patients go off their suboxone for any surgery. Our addictions team worked closely with the surgeon on a post op pain plan. You’ve encountered some unfortunate unnecessary stigma. Reach out to another program.

Why is someone on suboxone program for so long? Isn't the point to help you get off "street" drugs and get clean?

I have always wondered the same about the methadone program..once on it you never come off?

Why is that?

I mean no disrespect and pass no judgement, I am genuinely interested in knowing why.

Addiction runs ramped in my family, some in recovery and some not. And, the worst, some dead from it. Luckily not me personally, but it hits home...

1 hour ago, kcuster83 said:

Why is someone on suboxone program for so long? Isn't the point to help you get off "street" drugs and get clean?

I have always wondered the same about the methadone program..once on it you never come off?

Why is that?

I mean no disrespect and pass no judgement, I am genuinely interested in knowing why.

Addiction runs ramped in my family, some in recovery and some not. And, the worst, some dead from it. Luckily not me personally, but it hits home...

Everyone's journey is different, and everyone's chemistry is different. Some people used longer than others. Some people had different reasons for using in the first place. All of these things and more are factors in why some people remain on "replacement" medications for longer than others during the treatment of their addiction.

I think the approach in most cases is that it is better for someone to remain using something legal and regulated, under the supervision of a doctor, rather than take them off of it prematurely and they feel tempted to or start using a substance that is likely to end with health, legal and personal issues up to and including dying.

I would compare it to something less controversial: there's a lot of information out there that certain types of acid reflux medications are not great for you to take long-term, but a lot of us do, because the alternative of potentially burning a hole in our esophagus is a more immediate and clear risk.

10 hours ago, kristieshannon said:

I’m a nurse that formerly worked in a suboxone program. We almost never recommended patients go off their suboxone for any surgery. Our addictions team worked closely with the surgeon on a post op pain plan. You’ve encountered some unfortunate unnecessary stigma. Reach out to another program.

Thank you for your response. It makes me feel hopeful about finding a suitable program that isn’t so judgmental. The strange thing is, when I asked about it in the beginning they told me suboxone would not be a problem. It wasn’t until I went for the psych eval that he was so condescending and judgmental towards me. He told me I wasn’t sober. I was just blindsided honestly.

Edited by Megan5619
Spelling