Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey yall! This is my first post. I had a VSG in 07/2017, everything was wonderful. I went from a HW of 390 to a LW of 200. The weight came off EXTREMELY quickly.

COVID came and it just completely derailed me.

Due to regain and heartburn, I just had a VSG revision to Bypass on 12/13/2022. I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow. Everything was going amazingly great post op, I felt great from day 1 and did not even need pain meds (as opposed with my sleeve).

I have been at a stall for 2+weeks and it is driving me absolutely insane. I have lost a total of 26lbs since preop diet (12/01/2022), I have spent the last week walking a TON at the Disney parks and did not weigh myself all week HOPING that when I came home the stall would be broken. I thought maybe the stall was because I was not having frequent BM's but all the walking did help in that area. Much to my surprise, I actually gained a pound when I got home.

I am eating well, I am hydrating but just very confused as to why I am stalling for so long. I try to not associate it with my sleeve as my VSG the weight was coming off very rapidly, I was also way heavier. My doctor did warn that I will not lose as much and as fast as the sleeve since this is a revision.

I just want to be on the losing path again, has this happened to any of you specifically with a revision?

Hi DoOverGirl,

I am also a newbie to the website, however not as far as surgery. I originally had the lapband in 2005 and after complications, in 2010 went to bypass. My highest weight was 290 and my lowest was 130, I am 5'7". I had only lost 82lbs with the lapband and was very happy with the weight loss after having the bypass. Currently, I am 168lbs and have severe reflux and my taste is so off that I find it difficult to eat just about anything. I am currently in the process of going through the steps for a revision surgery also. My doctor did say that I could lose some weight, I should not expect it to be like it was. Although I don't want to get back to 130lbs, I would be happy to get down to 145-150 as I think I would be comfortable there.

Back to your complaint and issues. I am wondering if you are not taking in enough Protein in order to lose more weight. I have noticed that when I think I am doing well with my eating, I really am not getting enough protein. When I pay attention to my protein intake and leave out the carbs, I start to lose weight again. I know how frustrating this must be for you and I am also concerned that after I have a revision, I will not lose any weight either. However, I am trying to focus on alleviating my symptoms of discomfort more than the possibility to lose weight.

I understand your frustration but be patient with yourself, stay positive, and keep pushing forward. You can do it!

Edited by Tammi J

weight loss after revisions is almost always slower than after virgin surgeries, so it could be partly that - or it could be just Fluid (due to a heavier-than-usual sodium intake, maybe?). Also, it could be if you've exercised more than usual, your muscles are holding on to Water (they need it for repair, if you're going at it more than usual, or have done something they're not accustomed to). Or have you been eating more carbs than usual? Those make you hold on to more water as well. At any rate, if you've been on plan as far as eating, you should be fine - it's likely just some temporary thing and you should start losing again..

It's normal. Your body is adjusting, we all have gone through the stalls.

Your body was probably in shock from the low calories and then walking Disney too.

Edited by SuziDavis

4 hours ago, Tammi J said:

Hi DoOverGirl,

I am also a newbie to the website, however not as far as surgery. I originally had the lapband in 2005 and after complications, in 2010 went to bypass. My highest weight was 290 and my lowest was 130, I am 5'7". I had only lost 82lbs with the lapband and was very happy with the weight loss after having the bypass. Currently, I am 168lbs and have severe reflux and my taste is so off that I find it difficult to eat just about anything. I am currently in the process of going through the steps for a revision surgery also. My doctor did say that I could lose some weight, I should not expect it to be like it was. Although I don't want to get back to 130lbs, I would be happy to get down to 145-150 as I think I would be comfortable there.

Back to your complaint and issues. I am wondering if you are not taking in enough Protein in order to lose more weight. I have noticed that when I think I am doing well with my eating, I really am not getting enough Protein. When I pay attention to my protein intake and leave out the carbs, I start to lose weight again. I know how frustrating this must be for you and I am also concerned that after I have a revision, I will not lose any weight either. However, I am trying to focus on alleviating my symptoms of discomfort more than the possibility to lose weight.

I understand your frustration but be patient with yourself, stay positive, and keep pushing forward. You can do it!

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Sorry about your reflux, I can definitely say that the revision has completely corrected that issue for me, I wish you luck and hope all goes well.

As far as my protein intake, I think I have been managing fairly well especially last week. Since I knew I was going to overexert myself I upped my protein and even reached 100g a couple of the days. I am still early on so I am limited on what I can/cant eat and I am terrified of dumping so I have stayed away from carbs and sugar altogether.

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

weight loss after revisions is almost always slower than after virgin surgeries, so it could be partly that - or it could be just Fluid (due to a heavier-than-usual sodium intake, maybe?). Also, it could be if you've exercised more than usual, your muscles are holding on to Water (they need it for repair, if you're going at it more than usual, or have done something they're not accustomed to). Or have you been eating more carbs than usual? Those make you hold on to more Water as well. At any rate, if you've been on plan as far as eating, you should be fine - it's likely just some temporary thing and you should start losing again..

That can be it! I had a tonsillectomy 12 days prior to my bypass (which certainly helped with my pre op diet lol). But during that time I was drinking A LOT of salty broths. Being that it was 2 general anesthesia's back to back I know that we get pumped with fluids and stuff in IVs so maybe I just have to expel all that? Thanks for pointing that out as it makes a whole lot of sense :)

39 minutes ago, SuziDavis said:

It's normal. Your body is adjusting, we all have gone through the stalls.

Your body was probably in shock from the low calories and then walking Disney too.

LOL, my body was in shock for sure! Those parks are brutal and it was 5 days of non stop. My body probably hates me right now lol. Hopefully it'll settle down soon :)

1 hour ago, DoOverGirl said:

LOL, my body was in shock for sure! Those parks are brutal and it was 5 days of non stop. My body probably hates me right now lol. Hopefully it'll settle down soon :)

That is a lot when you can eat normally, so imagine what your system was thinking on a soft minimal diet!!!

I'm sure you will start seeing a change soon.

Hey yall! This is my first post. I had a VSG in 07/2017, everything was wonderful. I went from a HW of 390 to a LW of 200. The weight came off EXTREMELY quickly.

COVID came and it just completely derailed me.

Due to regain and heartburn, I just had a VSG revision to Bypass on 12/13/2022. I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow. Everything was going amazingly great post op, I felt great from day 1 and did not even need pain meds (as opposed with my sleeve).

I have been at a stall for 2+weeks and it is driving me absolutely insane. I have lost a total of 26lbs since preop diet (12/01/2022), I have spent the last week walking a TON at the Disney parks and did not weigh myself all week HOPING that when I came home the stall would be broken. I thought maybe the stall was because I was not having frequent BM's but all the walking did help in that area. Much to my surprise, I actually gained a pound when I got home.

I am eating well, I am hydrating but just very confused as to why I am stalling for so long. I try to not associate it with my sleeve as my VSG the weight was coming off very rapidly, I was also way heavier. My doctor did warn that I will not lose as much and as fast as the sleeve since this is a revision.

I just want to be on the losing path again, has this happened to any of you specifically with a revision?

I had a revision due to gerd back in August. I didn't really have any stalls but the first couple of weeks, I had Water weight (over 10 lbs) gain due to the IV fluids so that always appears to be a stall. It took over 3 weeks to get rid of all that Water. I am guessing that is what you are experiencing right now or something similar. They told me that I won't lose as fast as the VSG but that was not the case for me. I was content at 160 lbs (post vsg weight) but I got down to 108 lbs after revision. I learned a lot of tools while I had my vsg, and they continue to work through the revision.

If you gained weight with vsg, to continue losing after revision, your eating habits must change from when you had your vsg. Unfortunately, the surgery itself will not make you lose weight as faster than vsg. Statistically, it is more effective than vsg but not by much. Like the sleeve, it is an effective tool if used correctly. Are you logging your intake? What are your calories per day? If it is below what you daily expend, the weight will continue to come off and you can shrug those pesky stalls off.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I had a revision due to gerd back in August. I didn't really have any stalls but the first couple of weeks, I had Water weight (over 10 lbs) gain due to the IV fluids so that always appears to be a stall. It took over 3 weeks to get rid of all that water. I am guessing that is what you are experiencing right now or something similar. They told me that I won't lose as fast as the VSG but that was not the case for me. I was content at 160 lbs (post vsg weight) but I got down to 108 lbs after revision. I learned a lot of tools while I had my vsg, and they continue to work through the revision.

If you gained weight with vsg, to continue losing after revision, your eating habits must change from when you had your vsg. Unfortunately, the surgery itself will not make you lose weight as faster than vsg. Statically, it is more effective than vsg but not by much. Like the sleeve, it is an effective tool if used correctly. Are you logging your intake? What are your calories per day? If it is below what you daily expend, the weight will continue to come off and you can shrug those pesky stalls off.

Thank you for your response, it does make a lot of sense that it can be Water weight. I had a tonsillectomy 12 days prior to my revision so I've had LOTS and LOTS of IV and fluids in the past month. As far as tracking my intake, I am terrible at it and not "tracking my calories". My surgeon more so suggested tracking Protein rather than calories. I am still very early on (4 weeks today), so I am not eating a ton. Every meal I try to make it protein (eggs, ground chicken, etc).

Stalls happen & they will break in their time. Think of them as your body being stressed (it’s going through a lot of change at the moment - surgery, weight loss, change of diet, etc.) & it just wants to shut the door & pull the covers over it’s head until it’s ready to deal with the changes & stress. You just need to ride it out. Don’t stress yourself or your body more. Follow your plan, meet your Protein & fluid goals & your weight will start to drop again.

Edited by Arabesque

It's understandable that you may be feeling frustrated and disappointed about your weight loss stall after your recent revision surgery. It's important to remember that weight loss can vary from person to person, and the rate of weight loss can also depend on factors such as the type of surgery, the individual's starting weight, and their adherence to post-surgery dietary and exercise guidelines.

It's also important to keep in mind that weight loss is not always linear and it can be normal to experience plateaus or stalls along the way. Additionally, it is important to focus on the progress you have made so far, such as losing 26lbs, and not just the stall in your weight loss.

It may be helpful to consult with your surgeon or a dietitian to review your dietary intake and ensure that you are getting enough Protein, staying hydrated, and not consuming too many calories. They may also be able to provide you with strategies to help break through the stall, such as increasing your physical activity level or adjusting your dietary intake.

Keep in mind that weight loss journey is not a linear one, and it may take time to see progress again. But it is important to stay consistent with your healthy habits, and not to get discouraged. Remember the reason why you decided to undergo the surgery and focus on the long-term benefits for your health.